USC senior hurt jumping from 2nd story to save drowning nephew

FluffHead

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before i even saw it posted I knew that you knew it would be a lie when it actually happened, but i was too busy to think to post it until just about now

I knew it was a lie from the first post but have been too busy to post until now.

A family making the best of horrible circumstances. Much better than a player making crap up because he's an idiot.

Yeah. I guess I'm never that impressed with that. I've always been on the organ donor list, and I have no idea why anybody wouldn't be..............You seem to have a lot of insight into it. Why would anybody not want to give their organs when they can no longer use them?

Yeah. I guess I'm never that impressed with that. I've always been on the organ donor list, and I have no idea why anybody wouldn't be..............You seem to have a lot of insight into it. Why would anybody not want to give their organs when they can no longer use them?

I suppose a lot of folks literally want to 'hold on.' I've had conversations with families about organ donation and, in my experience, the overwhelming majority agreed. Some however, reacted as if I was 'disrespecting' (probably not the right word but they seemed offended) the deceased. I certainly understand it's a very emotional time to make those decisions for some people. For me (and you it seems), it's a no brainer. I have no need for it. It also makes it easier that 'our' decisions are made ahead of time by listing ourselves as organ donors.

Not to digress but the living can be big donors as well....Not just blood but marrow transplant lists as well.

not saying it is right, wrong or indifferent but there are probably religions and cultures that are against 'desecration' of the body after death.

I don't see why you call it an epitaph because there was nothing racial about that article at all. There is enough trouble here without bringing race into it dude.

Oh, that's what YOU think!!! What kind of plantation are they running there at USC??

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20140829_USC_s_Brown_quits_team__alleges_coch_Sarkisian_is_racist.html

I suppose a lot of folks literally want to 'hold on.' I've had conversations with families about organ donation and, in my experience, the overwhelming majority agreed. Some however, reacted as if I was 'disrespecting' (probably not the right word but they seemed offended) the deceased. I certainly understand it's a very emotional time to make those decisions for some people. For me (and you it seems), it's a no brainer. I have no need for it. It also makes it easier that 'our' decisions are made ahead of time by listing ourselves as organ donors.

Not to digress but the living can be big donors as well....Not just blood but marrow transplant lists as well.

Phil Lesh of The Dead does an little organ donor speech at each show. They even list the track on taped shows as "Donor Rap". Phil had a liver transplant and says the person who donated his liver saved his life.

Love it. No regrets by the man, no sorow or sadness. What a class act!

Teach your kids how to swim. Either that or just play Russian Roulette with them, because its the same thing.

:thumbsup:

Boy, did you two get duped!

Thanks for the info.............I didn't really know about marrow transplant lists. My memory of bone marrow transplants is that it's super painful. Is that right?

Thanks for the info.............I didn't really know about marrow transplant lists. My memory of bone marrow transplants is that it's super painful. Is that right?

Here's a link to a registry site. http://bethematch.org/Transplant-Basics/How-marrow-donation-works/Steps-of-bone-marrow-or-PBSC-donation/

The first step in to do a swab of your cheek to get a sample for 'rough' matching with folks seeking a transplant. If you are matched and asked to be a donor you then get into blood draws and additional medical tests.

If all is a go....and depending on the patients needs....you will donate via a series of blood 'donations' where they cycle out the cells they want and give you back your 'other' cells. This also requires shots to boost your cells first.

The other option is a taking marrow samples from the crest of the hips. This is labeled as 'not painful' on this site. I would say that a lot of patients have some degree of discomfort but it is more of a pressure sensation than pain. This is if it is done with a regional anesthetic and you are awake. However, some folks get general anesthesia and have 'no pain' as they are out of it completely. There is usually some degree of discomfort after but most donors are feeling fine after a few days. It's a sacrifice but it gives someone a shot at living.