SF Real Estate Out of Control

Chef Jim

The property has 16.5 acres for 799K. Who needs all that land

considering the postage stamp-sized lot pictured with the house in San Fransisco, the 16.5 acres becomes significant in the comparison. it isn't really a question of 'need'.

Ive looked at that SF house several times now and it just blows my mind that it is $850K

you and me both. it's laughable, really.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha depends what part, the cost of living is super cheap here (gas is currently $3.28 a gallon), and the area is really nice. Atlanta gets a really bad rap, but of course there are areas you don't go in to. Ive only been here 2 months, but I love it.

P.S. http://money.cnn.com.../cities-moving/

:beer:

i was just bustin, as you know. I like Dean..think anyplace is only as good as you make it!

I have not lived anywhere yet i did not like...took me a year or two to get adjusted to Richmond though...the whole cradle of the confederacy and War of Northern Agression thing

That is nuckin Futs! I cant even imagine!

For reference, this is what 800K gets you in my neck of the woods.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2775-Smokey-Rd_Newnan_GA_30263_M65202-63395?row=14

Yeah... But you have to heat and cool the thing... Maintain the grounds, fill it w/furniture, etc... etc... At least with the million dollar shoebox you don't have any of those extra expenses which you might not have anyway seeing they are all gobbled up by the mortgage.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow... Here you can pick up a house for the price of a car... And in the country, decent area where you can leave your doors unlocked and windows open.

Every time I watch "House hunters" I get pissed off. Like a 5 bedroom, 4 bath on a acre just outside the ATL for $300,000 grand in a great neighborhood and a house with all the upgrades. Here in the bay area the same place is well over a million. Probably closer to 1.5 depending on the area. And really it's unlimited depending how rich the area is.

Are you in Hamilton cbf? My nephew just bought a house there in the east end. Have to check what street. It's a war time house I think he paid 300 and change for it.

Every time I watch "House hunters" I get pissed off. Like a 5 bedroom, 4 bath on a acre just outside the ATL for $300,000 grand in a great neighborhood and a house with all the upgrades. Here in the bay area the same place is well over a million. Probably closer to 1.5 depending on the area.

Are you in Hamilton cbf? My nephew just bought a house there in the east end. Have to check what street. It's a war time house I think he paid 300 and change for it.

Talk about Realtor bullshite to the extreme. I love it though

"Charm and location! Wonderful property consists of a 1 bedroom, 1 bath main home, with a full basement and attic and a back cottage. Neither seller nor agent warrant legality of attic space and back cottage. Close to shopping and transportation, this is Potrero's best value."

Edited by Dante

Every time I watch "House hunters" I get pissed off. Like a 5 bedroom, 4 bath on a acre just outside the ATL for $300,000 grand in a great neighborhood and a house with all the upgrades. Here in the bay area the same place is well over a million. Probably closer to 1.5 depending on the area.

Yep... But you get the scenary! ;-P

Here... I can't imagine what even 1/2 million would get you? Acres and pole barn/farm? Especially in an unincorporated area, say just across the border in Indiana? Taxes dirt cheap, probably half as much as I pay on a 100K (built for 150 in 1996) house in Illinois. It's just a few miles away, just cross the border into Illinois to work and play... Say Chicago... Use the location and infrastructure to your advantage and then head back to live. Oh, get the hybrid for the 20 mile commute.

Talk about Realtor bullshite to the extreme. I love it though

"Charm and location! Wonderful property consists of a 1 bedroom, 1 bath main home, with a full basement and attic and a back cottage. Neither seller nor agent warrant legality of attic space and back cottage. Close to shopping and transportation, this is Potrero's best value."

I was. I just moved about 20 minutes outside the city.

CBF

That's insane. If I end up out here it will be in the east bay.

That's where we bought. We have a view of the whole bay and bridges. This time of year the city is blanketed in fog and in the low 60's. Here it's 80. And the city is a 20 minute drive away.

That's where we bought. We have a view of the whole bay and bridges. This time of year the city is blanketed in fog and in the low 60's. Here it's 80. And the city is a 20 minute drive away.

Yup. Whereabouts? I'm kind of taking a look at El Cerrito should this play out with my taking a job here. Job is in Emeryville.

Yup. Whereabouts? I'm kind of taking a look at El Cerrito should this play out with my taking a job here. Job is in Emeryville.

I'm in the hills over Oakland. Redwood Heights. It's very nice here. I don't know the El Cerrito area that well but Emeryville isn't too far from here either. People bag on Oakland and rightly so because parts suck but it's a huge city with some beautiful areas. If it could only get it's **** together politically it could really give SF a run for its money.

Parts of SoCal are also en fuego these days. (I mean property values, not the forests. Well mostly.)

Even my little place is now north of $1M, and while it's a solid little house in a great area, it sure ain't no mansion. And I bought before the big housing crash, so it's apparently recovered all the lost value, plus a hefty increase.

People are making crazy offers, and a lot of them are all-cash offers from foreign buyers (Chinese & Korean). This must be some kind of record for fastest re-inflation of a bubble?

Parts of SoCal are also en fuego these days. (I mean property values, not the forests. Well mostly.)

Even my little place is now north of $1M, and while it's a solid little house in a great area, it sure ain't no mansion. And I bought before the big housing crash, so it's apparently recovered all the lost value, plus a hefty increase.

People are making crazy offers, and a lot of them are all-cash offers from foreign buyers (Chinese & Korean). This must be some kind of record for fastest re-inflation of a bubble?

Yup the Chinese are a big force in driving this market. I say China is takin dove California one house at a time.

This is happening in NYC too.

I've talked to a few Chinese people out here at asked where all the money is coming from. They've told me it's mostly from selling businesses. Large companies are buying up smaller ones left and right. One guy told me his aunt sold some nightclubs she owned for tens of millions of dollars. Unfortunately they have terrible taste so they put up these gaudy fences with ugly statues.

What $850k will get you in SF. It's right next to the projects where OJ grew up. So you get this dump in a real scary part of town. Glad I moved.

https://www.redfin.c...07/home/1933703

A clear cry for help. My advice: If you live there, move. If you don't, don't move there. Have a nice evening, Chef. As always, I'm glad I could help.

I love the "rainbow tunnel" in Marin. A very small tunnel (1/4 mile maybe?). Enter from the SF side (south) in the fog exit into sunny warm weather. The reverse is, obviously, true. But I prefered the fog for the most part.

I lived in Twin Peaks in the early 90's with a spectacular view of downtown and the East Bay. Sometimes the fog wouldn't roll in from the west. It would actually "pour" in, as if it was being poured from a pitcher. It would come over the hill and seem to bounce off the ground (I don't believe it actually did that, but that's what it looked like). I would have blimps off my deck that looked like they were almost on top of my apt. I watched the big east bay fire from my porch (and my giant picture windows), Damn I miss that place.

I love the "rainbow tunnel" in Marin. A very small tunnel (1/4 mile maybe?). Enter from the SF side (south) in the fog exit into sunny warm weather. The reverse is, obviously, true. But I prefered the fog for the most part.

I lived in Twin Peaks in the early 90's with a spectacular view of downtown and the East Bay. Sometimes the fog wouldn't roll in from the west. It would actually "pour" in, as if it was being poured from a pitcher. It would come over the hill and seem to bounce off the ground (I don't believe it actually did that, but that's what it looked like). I would have blimps off my deck that looked like they were almost on top of my apt. I watched the big east bay fire from my porch (and my giant picture windows), Damn I miss that place.

Yes the fog pours over. It is so cool (pun intended). From our house downtown SF looks like it's in a snow globe.