Hackett's Red Zone playcalling ineffective

Big Turk

You're all wet.

Where was the new Red Zone target Wallace?

You think they might have been trying a few different things?

Maybe they're keeping their real goal line package under wraps till the season opens.

They're still evaluating the OL and the backups and the backups to the backups many of whom won't be on the roster in a week.

Did anyone watch the presser after the game. They were trying different things with different personel to see if they can do it. That is what preseason is for. Take it easy people. Yes we could even pound the ground with Summers and Jackson to get it in but that doesn't answer questions. Preseason answers questions and regular season executes the answered questions. If they are answered properly you get post season. Time will tell.

Preseason.... I bet they have play action and run and shoot or whatever they call it these days during the real season

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What plays would you have run differently?

No...seriously. I have it paused on my DVR right now.

As preseason playcalling isn't a real thing worth hashing out lets talk 2013--- how many times on "and goal" situations do we run the same play that won the Carolina game. That basic inside/outside set of crossing routes to try to spring the guy to the corner? We swapped it left and right, and tweaked the formation some but it felt terribly predictable.... As an example.

When I can predict it watching on TV, you know the defense sees it coming and it makes it harder on our players to execute.

Edited by NoSaint

As preseason playcalling isn't a real thing worth hashing out lets talk 2013--- how many times on "and goal" situations do we run the same play that won the Carolina game. That basic inside/outside set of crossing routes to try to spring the guy to the corner? We swapped it left and right, and tweaked the formation some but it felt terribly predictable.... As an example.

When I can predict it watching on TV, you know the defense sees it coming and it makes it harder on our players to execute.

Didn't run it last night and this is 2014. I don't live in the past.

I'd like to see more bootlegs and misdirections to get EJ in space to either make a play with his arm or legs. Seems like every offense does this and manages to get good yardage except for us. EJ is certainly athletic enough to do it.

Edited by Bangarang

You can say the same thing about the broncos. They run basically the same 10 pass plays all game, and everything they do in the redzone is predictable, or at least isn't premised on doing anything particularly surprising. Yet, Peyton manning-led teams are like in the top -5 of redzone efficiency every year.

Playcalling isn't irrelevant; but having guys that can execute can make it less important.

You can say the same thing about the broncos. They run basically the same 10 pass plays all game, and everything they do in the redzone is predictable, or at least isn't premised on doing anything particularly surprising. Yet, Peyton manning-led teams are like in the top -5 of redzone efficiency every year.

Playcalling isn't irrelevant; but having guys that can execute can make it less important.

It's interesting because I've heard more than one of mannings coaches say the hardest part of coaching him is that he shows up on Monday with more new play installations for the week than most guys can handle.

But yea, if you have the best execution in the league you can get by with less than perfect playcalling--- but why not aspire to better than just acceptable playcalling? Especially against teams with just as much talent and ability to execute.

Watch 59 lunging behind the tackler on every botched run play, then talk to me about playcalling.

We really need to criticize Marrone more for starting Legursky. The guy is just terrible. Not sure why Marrone thought he was a good choice.

We really need to criticize Marrone more for starting Legursky. The guy is just terrible. Not sure why Marrone thought he was a good choice.

I don't know what's going on with the interior right now. I think they'd give the janitor a shot to start at this point. Nobody wants to separate himself.

I don't know what's going on with the interior right now. I think they'd give the janitor a shot to start at this point. Nobody wants to separate himself.

Perhaps Kouandjio can get a look at guard since he's been utterly brutal as a tackle so far.

Edited by Bangarang

It's PRE-SEASON fooball folks.

Why in God's name would you want to show anything meaningful? This isn't about impressing the fans.

Blaming the offenses ability to score on the play calling is beyond stupid.

Peyton Manning looked pretty freaking good carving up the 49ers...guess he didn't get the message

I'd like to see more bootlegs and misdirections to get EJ in space to either make a play with his arm or legs. Seems like every offense does this and manages to get good yardage except for us. EJ is certainly athletic enough to do it.

Yes along with the old "TE blocks, falls down, then finds himself wide open in the back of the end zone play" every other team uses well

Injuries, I think. Sounds like it will be Williams (injured) and urbik with Richardson as the primary backup.

Not sure why they gave the starting nod to Legursky on Saturday instead of Richardson.

Hackett is terrible. He's going to end up getting Marrone fired. I'm sure they sold the Bills on the idea of bringing back "the Kgun" offense but this offense is nothing like that and his play calling is attocious, especially in the red zone. It's too bad because the talent is there, especially on defense. With a veteran play caller (and veteran QB) we are a playoff team. We have more talent than the Patriots, there's no reason for us not to win the AFC east

I wouldn't mind Chandler extending his arms to make the catch in the EZ. Then play calling would be a moot point.

funny you say this I just watched that play and thought the same thing. Chandler needs to snatch that ball with his hands outstretched and its an easy td. He tried to body catch it. Baffling to see that lapse in technique from an otherwise solid pass catcher.

funny you say this I just watched that play and thought the same thing. Chandler needs to snatch that ball with his hands outstretched and its an easy td. He tried to body catch it. Baffling to see that lapse in technique from an otherwise solid pass catcher.

Generally I don't dislike chandler but I think you'd be hardpressed to find a guy that big that plays as small. I don't know if it's simply an attitude issue, or an athletic issue I'm not considering but his presence never seems imposing.

I'm hoping to hear more about this Legursky/OG thing tomorrow...They Draft an OG in the 5th who reportedly ran with the 1's all week at RG while Urbik filled in for the injured Williams at LG...From everything I heard on WGR it was a done deal Robinson was starting at RG...Maybe Legursky did get time with the 1's in the Pittsburgh practices, but that certainly was not mentioned by Joe B who said he watched every single snap EJ took on Thursday (at least I never heard him mention it)...Hard to imagine Joe B watched every play in practice, completely missed a rotation at the Guard position, then followed it up by going on air more than once raving about Robinson's play and his chances to dethrone Urbik at RG...Then game time comes and we get Legursky starting?...I just struck me as strange...

I know some folks don't think this is a big deal...And maybe it's not...But I'm still squarely on the fence concerning Marrone and Hackett...And after watching Hogan on the field instead of Woods, now I see Legursky on the field instead of Robinson, or even Hairston...This is Legursky we are talking about here...He's literally the reason we signed Williams...He cannot hold up...What is Marrone trying to accomplish? Does anyone...I mean anyone think they will keep Legursky over Robinson if it comes down to that? Then why the heck is Legursky on the field blocking for our best players? Get that kid in there now and let him play with the big boys...

Anyway... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I'm hoping to hear more about this Legursky/OG thing tomorrow...They Draft an OG in the 5th who reportedly ran with the 1's all week at RG while Urbik filled in for the injured Williams at LG...From everything I heard on WGR it was a done deal Robinson was starting at RG...Maybe Legursky did get time with the 1's in the Pittsburgh practices, but that certainly was not mentioned by Joe B who said he watched every single snap EJ took on Thursday (at least I never heard him mention it)...Hard to imagine Joe B watched every play in practice, completely missed a rotation at the Guard position, then followed it up by going on air more than once raving about Robinson's play and his chances to dethrone Urbik at RG...Then game time comes and we get Legursky starting?...I just struck me as strange...

I know some folks don't think this is a big deal...And maybe it's not...But I'm still squarely on the fence concerning Marrone and Hackett...And after watching Hogan on the field instead of Woods, now I see Legursky on the field instead of Robinson, or even Hairston...This is Legursky we are talking about here...He's literally the reason we signed Williams...He cannot hold up...What is Marrone trying to accomplish? Does anyone...I mean anyone think they will keep Legursky over Robinson if it comes down to that? Then why the heck is Legursky on the field blocking for our best players? Get that kid in there now and let him play with the big boys...

Anyway... B-)

That's the thing though, Marrone literally has no logical excuse for starting Legursky. It's not like he can sell the idea that he wanted to see what Legursky could do going against another 1st team defense. We saw what Legursky was capable of last year and it was a sad sight. I just can't wrap my head around it.

The Woods and Hogan thing is another topic of frustration for me too. It's year 2 and Marrone is going to start losing the benefit of doubt from me.