Hackett's Red Zone playcalling ineffective

Big Turk

Hackett doesn't seem to understand there are different rules for playcalling when in the red zone and especially inside the 10 yard line due to the compression of the field and more people in a small area...

They move the ball very well in between the 20s but stall time and again in the red zone. Where are the play action passes to the TE's that always seem to work for every other team? Our playcalling isn't adjusting properly...same calls, same plays, not working

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackett doesn't seem to understand there are different rules for playcalling when in the red zone and especially inside the 10 yard line due to the compression of the field and more people in a small area...

They move the ball very well in between the 20s but stall time and again in the red zone. Where are the play action passes to the TE's that always seem to work for every other team? Our playcalling isn't adjusting properly...same calls, same plays, not working

Again , has Marrone not noticed this ?

this is one area of the field where the read option could be successful, especially after our first obligatory corner fade is defended .. :rolleyes:

if the DE crashes the mesh/hand-off - and the outside LB isn't prepared to exchange edge responsibilities with the DE - our QB could stroll in.

but in Hackett's defense - that's something you don't show opponents in pre-season.

You're all wet.

Where was the new Red Zone target Wallace?

You think they might have been trying a few different things?

Maybe they're keeping their real goal line package under wraps till the season opens.

They're still evaluating the OL and the backups and the backups to the backups many of whom won't be on the roster in a week.

Let me challenge you a bit on this. In the Steelers, game the 1st team offense had one "goal to go" situation. The plays were:

1st and 6 at PIT 6 (1:27) (Shotgun) E.Manuel pass short left to F.Jackson to PIT 6 for no gain (S.Thomas). Timeout #1 by BUF at 01:21. 2nd and 6 at PIT 6 (1:20) (Shotgun) F.Jackson left tackle to PIT 3 for 3 yards (C.Thomas). Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:36. 3rd and 3 at PIT 3 (:36) (Shotgun) E.Manuel pass incomplete short left to R.Woods. Coverage by #22 Gay. 4th and 3 at PIT 3 (:32) (Shotgun) E.Manuel pass incomplete short right to S.Chandler (R.Golden).

I am not seeing anything that was noticeably bad. The 3rd down play was pretty good, and a catch, albeit just out of bounds. 4th and goal from the 3-yd line--not sure there is a "sure fire" play there.

I'd be curious to see our numbers broken down. I know the run defense was the big conversation this offseason, and I'll say my gut says that even a small improvement in the red zone would likely do more to fix it (and all our problems) than anything else

I wouldn't mind Chandler extending his arms to make the catch in the EZ. Then play calling would be a moot point.

I am a firm believer that red zone play just comes down to execution. Everything is compressed and faster; if the offense can execute with precision, then the playcalling matters a lot less.

IMO, the difference between the great QBs and the good ones is redzone precision. Take Big Ben's TD (which I think was inside the 20 yd line)-- he threw a ball as perfect as you can get it. He's always been very effective in the redzone.

I am a firm believer that red zone play just comes down to execution. Everything is compressed and faster; if the offense can execute with precision, then the playcalling matters a lot less.

IMO, the difference between the great QBs and the good ones is redzone precision. Take Big Ben's TD (which I think was inside the 20 yd line)-- he threw a ball as perfect as you can get it. He's always been very effective in the redzone.

Can't argue with that.

Can't argue with that.

Sure you can. Sure, execution is vital -- as is play calling. If you aren't calling the right plays to maximize that spacing, you aren't going to succeed consistently either.

Execution is huge but talent is so close around the league that you can't concede play calling as secondary. Talent has to be put in positions to maximize potential to succeed

Edited by NoSaint

Did anyone watch the presser after the game. They were trying different things with different personel to see if they can do it. That is what preseason is for. Take it easy people. Yes we could even pound the ground with Summers and Jackson to get it in but that doesn't answer questions. Preseason answers questions and regular season executes the answered questions. If they are answered properly you get post season. Time will tell.

Edited by fansince88

Sure you can. Sure, execution is vital -- as is play calling. If you aren't calling the right plays to maximize that spacing, you aren't going to succeed consistently either.

Execution is huge but talent is so close around the league that you can't concede play calling as secondary. Talent has to be put in positions to maximize potential to succeed

And players need to execute. Period. So no, I can't. Feel free.

As mentioned earlier, they had one opportunity and I don't think the play calling was bad. I'm all about calling someone out if they suck ( see Fitzpatrick, Ryan ), but this seems like people are looking for something to hate.

Edited by Bronc24

And players need to execute. Period. So no, I can't. Feel free.

Right. And what do they need to execute?

The coach saying "go do this" needs to make sure he's telling them to execute the best possible call. The two things are hand in hand. There's no way to seperate them if you truly want to succeed.

Right. And what do they need to execute?

The coach saying "go do this" needs to make sure he's telling them to execute the best possible call. The two things are hand in hand. There's no way to seperate them if you truly want to succeed.

What plays would you have run differently?

No...seriously. I have it paused on my DVR right now.

For the record, the premise of this thread is that our *preseason* play calling is bad?

I'm more of a "wait till we have our regular season personnel and game plan for opponents before freaking out" kinda guy...