Preseason game 3: Bills-Steelers Pre-game (and game thread)

YoloinOhio

ITS BEEN LABELED AS A CHRONIC INJURY. holy moly. You know, these things get worse. It's not out of the ordinary for a chronic injury to break down after wear and tear, aka, training camp.

I'm not saying that actually happened. But the league would not bat an eye if they say it happened and put him on IR.

NOT BY THE BILLS.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much obliged. Given Whaley's seeming ability to mine late-round talent, I hope he attempts to identify one of these types, and works the phones to pick one up. Hell, maybe some team would take a Legursky or Branch off our hands for their late-round project QB.

Who have the Bills selected in rounds 3-7 between 2010 and 2013 that start on this team? In 4 drafts I show only Bradham, who's there because Alonso was hurt. After that, it's Duke Williams or Da'Norris Searcy, the latter of whom got burned bad on that long TD pass.

I wouldn't say the Bills are winning the middle to late rounds yet. And the fact some are talking about finding another QB option should underscore they've (once again) badly managed the QB position. This time last year it was Matt Leinart and Thad Lewis coming in when their only option was Jeff Tuel after EJ was injured. Not surprisingly those options didn't work.

Edited by BillsVet

Who have the Bills selected in rounds 3-7 between 2010 and 2013 that start on this team? In 4 drafts I show only Bradham, who's there because Alonso was hurt. After that, it's Duke Williams or Da'Norris Searcy, the latter of whom got burned bad on that long TD pass.

I wouldn't say the Bills are winning the middle to late rounds yet. And the fact some are talking about finding another QB option should underscore they've (once again) badly managed the QB position. This time last year it was Matt Leinart and Thad Lewis coming in when their only option was Jeff Tuel after EJ was injured. Not surprisingly those options didn't work.

I count Whaley as having an impact mainly on the 2013 and certainly the 2014 classes, although I do think the Bills, in general, have gotten some good second/third day picks in Carrington, Easley and Moats (2010), Searcy and Hairston (2011), and Bradham and Brooks (2012). You would like your 4th through 7th rounders to make the team and have some sort of an impact, and I think that these players did in various capacities, even if it's just building solid depth. Between Whaley's 4th through 7th rounders last year and this year, I think he has hit on talent more than the average GM (contra, the Texans, who I think might only have three of their nine 2013 picks on their roster at this point).

All that said, I am one of those who is hoping that the Bills look for another option for back up QB (both 2nd and 3rd string). I think the Bills have done a woeful job in addressing these two positions for quite a few years (although, who knows how the Kolb experiment would have turned out). I would not have picked EJ where we did, but I was, and am, certainly willing to give him a shot. However, it would have helped if he could have stayed on the field last year, and furthered his development along. And normally, I wouldn't concern myself that much with who are back up QBs are, except that (1) EJ has a brief, but unsettling injury history, and (2) the rest of the team finally looks like they could do some damage with some adequate QB play. It would be nice to have some veteran insurance, even of the game manager variety, or, in the alternative, to have a young guy who can throw a crisp 25 yard pass to someone in the same color uniform, when he's not handing the ball off thirty times a game.

Edited by Delusional Bills Optimist

Not every team has an HC who is an "O-line Guru."

Thats what I got from the original message. Marrone is supposedly a guru. But Chan seemed to know more about masking the lines weaknesses and leaning on their collective strengths.

So depending on the Head Coach's background, that particular unit has to excel?

No but what are the odds that the unit who falls under the head coaches expertise would be probably the worst unit on the team. His talent evaluation in that regard is questionable at best.

Thank goodness I watched this one w a former big program college player and NFLN alum, the overreaction to the preseason is beyond beyond these days. I got a nice perspective on the game, players, preseason and football in general.

Regardless, let thine freaking out commence, Voodoo calls my name in the am...

My neighbor here in Richmond is a Pittsburgh native and is at the game - he just texted me - "boy, the Bills still stink..." So I asked how EJ looked - he said not too good. I just don't think he's the answer at QB.....Hope I'm wrong.

Based on a third person observation via text message from a preseason game?

Lynch. Thomas. Sherman.

Pick one.

How did Lynch help Buffalo win?

Take any of those three players and replace them with their backups.

Replace Wilson with his backup.

In the 2013 season, which scenario would have had the more dire consequences?

Just because Wilson didn't carry them alone, which no qb has ever done, is irrelevant. The game as currently constructed is dependent on the play of your quarterback. Look no further than the current Bills drought for proof.

Switch Manuel and Wilson last year and the Bills are a playoff team. Seattle might have made the playoffs with Manuel, but I sincerely doubt it.

It's not just about passing yards. Game management, saving broken plays, and avoiding big mistakes is crucial. Wilson was great at that.

Edited by Kemp

This was a hard to game to interpret really - Bills starters lost on points while dominating on time of possession and yards - Brown TD was a blown play by two guys who aren't probably starters.

Short-yardage OL work not good enough - some % of them aren't able to get low - but with Henderson and Richardson starting not surprising. Glenn will cure a lot of ills on offense.

Gilmore's struggles are worrisome.