Poll: 19% of NFL players say you'd have to double their salary

BADOLBILZ

In an anonymous poll of NFL players by ESPN the mag that comes out 8/22 the Bills were the second most reviled destination next to Oakland(23%).

People will take that as a shot at the region......but what it really underscores is that making the playoffs is the minimum standard for a successful season.

There are people here who have defended the organization because they have had so many 6-7 win seasons and only lost x number of games by a touchdown or less but the bottom line is that players respect winners and winners make the playoffs.

8-8 or 3-13 it doesn't really matter. Gotta make those playoffs to remain relevant.

Double their salary for what? to play in Buffalo?

Buffalo will never be a high profile destination for free agents to flock to even if they get a new stadium which is why they need to draft well and sign a lot of mid to low tier free agents like they did this offseason. Most players tend to like Buffalo once they get there.

There will however always be players who prefer to play in cities like Buffalo instead of NYC or Philly but at the end of the day winning and most importantly money talks.

Edited by Max997

As a "Bills defender" I will say that it's impressive that they have been able to recruit like they have. When they get guys in the building they close at a high percentage for a bad team in a non desirable location. Obviously Mario is a prime example but Fletcher, Spikes, Spikes and Milloy come to the top of my head.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

No question; this team's lousy record over the last 14 years hurts their reputation with players.

Winning fixes everything.

I don't think it's necessarily playoffs or bust for this regime, but they need to look the part of a playoff team (a la Arizona last year) if they want upcoming FAs to take them seriously

Double their salary for what? to play in Buffalo?

Buffalo will never be a high profile destination for free agents to flock to even if they get a new stadium which is why they need to draft well and sign a lot of mid to low tier free agents like they did this offseason. Most players tend to like Buffalo once they get there.

There will however always be players who prefer to play in cities like Buffalo instead of NYC or Philly but at the end of the day winning and most importantly money talks.

Apologies it was in the descriptive line which is very small.........the question was fill in the team...."I'd have to get paid double my salary to play for ........" and 19% of respondents said the Bills.

I do get the impression that a lot of players would probably prefer not to play in Buffalo.

However, when the Bills express interest in a FA, he starts doing his due diligence and talking to players, coaches, agents and others about Buffalo. And while some will say the night life and weather sucks, others will say the fans are awesome. A lot of ex-Bills have great things to say about their time in Buffalo. And then the FA starts reconsidering his low opinion of the Bills.

But, as others have already said, the biggest thing (next to money) is winning. When the Bills start winning again, FAs will start looking differently at Buffalo.

That's a really stupid question, the way it is worded.

Agreed.

On another matter, polls like this hint at the correct way of turning the franchise around. If Buffalo is considered the second-worst destination for free agents, then that would make it very difficult for the Bills to become the Ravens of 2000. Granted, that task would be difficult for any team. But it would be especially difficult for Buffalo, given the low regard in which the team is currently held.

On the other hand, a franchise quarterback can serve as a cornerstone around which to build a team. If the Bills had a young Peyton Manning under center, we'd become a destination for free agents.

It couldn't be that the New York State taxes have anything to do with it now, could it?? I don't believe that some of the main reasons that players don't want to play in Buffalo is because of the region and/or wiinning or being successful. The days of the blood-n-guts players are long gone, it's all about the duckies.

I do get the impression that a lot of players would probably prefer not to play in Buffalo.

However, when the Bills express interest in a FA, he starts doing his due diligence and talking to players, coaches, agents and others about Buffalo. And while some will say the night life and weather sucks, others will say the fans are awesome. A lot of ex-Bills have great things to say about their time in Buffalo. And then the FA starts reconsidering his low opinion of the Bills.

But, as others have already said, the biggest thing (next to money) is winning. When the Bills start winning again, FAs will start looking differently at Buffalo.

I posted this a few times before but during one of the drafts a bunch of years ago, Mike Tirico reported that players around the league hated the idea of going to Buffalo but once they were there, they loved it.

Granted, that was years ago and they probably hate losing, but I believed it then and believe it now.

It wasn't just players Buffalo's had a problem acquiring. They had a serious issue finding coaches and front office staff which seems to have improved since Nix was put out to pasture. It's a step in the right direction, but as has already been acknowledged, winning cures a lot of problems.

For example a team like Seattle, who after winning year to year, can attract guys to take less money who want a legit shot at a championship. For that reason, they don't have to overpay anyone and can be more flexible with their cap spending.

It may be a little bit more difficult for our Bills but the current organization has shown the ability to get quality free agents to come in and contribute, and this regime also seems to understand that a team can and should be built via the draft. While the QB position is still a work in progress there is no denying the high level of talent on our football team overall currently. As far as the rest, as others have said, winning will take care of it. It's also notable that the organization has recently been able to bring in players that truly want to be here.

It wasn't just players Buffalo's had a problem acquiring. They had a serious issue finding coaches and front office staff which seems to have improved since Nix was put out to pasture. It's a step in the right direction, but as has already been acknowledged, winning cures a lot of problems.

For example a team like Seattle, who after winning year to year, can attract guys to take less money who want a legit shot at a championship. For that reason, they don't have to overpay anyone and can be more flexible with their cap spending.

Nix had a LARGE part in the improvement you speak of - specifically Whaley, along with a much better draft eye and approach of late. Make no mistake he is still a strong voice in Whaley's ear in regards to player e v a l.

As a research nerd (well, former research nerd, I guess) I'd love to see the methodology, the instrument, the sample and the data. While I don't doubt Buffalo isn't high on the list for most players, conclusions such as "doubling the salary" demand further analysis. That and reporters have no idea of how to analyze research, plus what typically passes for research these days is horrible.