Best Bill of the 90s

vegas55

As part of the local pre game show on channel 2 Sunday, this question was posed for viewers to call in and vote; who was the best Bills player from the 90s/Super Bowl era. It came as no surprise that fans who took the time to call in and vote got it completely wrong - Andre Reed finished first, Bruce Smith was 4th.

Determining who is best player is usually a tough call but not in this case. Reed, Kelly and Thomas were great players obviously, but nobody outside of Buffalo ranks any of those guys in the top ten all time at their position. With Reed and Thomas, top twenty would be a stretch. Bruce Smith, on the other hand, is universally recognized as either the best or second best all time at his position. He was far and away the best player from those teams.

But I shouldn't be so hard on those fans who voted. This same topic was discussed on WGR a while back, with Jerry Sullivan participating. Jerry never fails to disappoint when it comes to terrible takes and general ignorance of all things football. Genius Jerry voted for Thurman Thomas. In part, I believe, because Bruce was "mean" to poor Jerry on occasion. And in fairness, Bruce was known to have a short fuse when dealing with loudmouth know it alls.

As part of the local pre game show on channel 2 Sunday, this question was posed for viewers to call in and vote; who was the best Bills player from the 90s/Super Bowl era. It came as no surprise that fans who took the time to call in and vote got it completely wrong - Andre Reed finished first, Bruce Smith was 4th.

Determining who is best player is usually a tough call but not in this case. Reed, Kelly and Thomas were great players obviously, but nobody outside of Buffalo ranks any of those guys in the top ten all time at their position. With Reed and Thomas, top twenty would be a stretch. Bruce Smith, on the other hand, is universally recognized as either the best or second best all time at his position. He was far and away the best player from those teams.

But I shouldn't be so hard on those fans who voted. This same topic was discussed on WGR a while back, with Jerry Sullivan participating. Jerry never fails to disappoint when it comes to terrible takes and general ignorance of all things football. Genius Jerry voted for Thurman Thomas. In part, I believe, because Bruce was "mean" to poor Jerry on occasion. And in fairness, Bruce was known to have a short fuse when dealing with loudmouth know it alls.

The new owner doesn't have to clean sweep the front office they need to clean sweep the media.

If Jerry Sullivan were sent to Siberia it would be a dawn of a new age in The Buffalo News. 1.7B can take care of a lot of problem.

Back on Topic, there is no discussion about the Best Player it is Bruuuuuuce! and only Bruuuuce! The discussion would be who is the second best player.

I'd go with Thurman because of versatility but you know it's hard to argue against Kelly. Its like 2a and 2b, imo.

You can make a very legit argument that Bruce Smith is the greatest Buffalo Bill of all time, depending on your criteria. If we are just talking as pure football players, it has to be OJ or Bruce.

Now, if you are talking about performance and intangibles, Jim Kelly has a legit claim to that title. There may have been no more important a player in team history.

You can make a very legit argument that Bruce Smith is the greatest Buffalo Bill of all time, depending on your criteria. If we are just talking as pure football players, it has to be OJ or Bruce.

Now, if you are talking about performance and intangibles, Jim Kelly has a legit claim to that title. There may have been no more important a player in team history.

Very true. Jim Kelly was one of the first to come to mind but he probably isn't even a top 10 QB all time, wasn't the best QB in the league at any time, and he wasn't even the best player on the team, but he meant (and continues to mean) so much more to our team and our community

OP, you should turn this thread into a Poll and let us vote

I can see that, because Bruce Smith could get 200 sacks and be on a perennial 2-14 team. Jim Kelly elevated Thurman and Reed to unstoppable levels. You put Bernie Kosar on the team in place of Kelly and there are no 4 straight Super Bowls. You put Aundray Bruce in there instead of Bruce Smith and Kelly might still force the team to get to a Super Bowl.

Still Bruce Smith was an unblockable force of nature. As a player he is the pure best Football player on that team. It wasn't only god given athletics he put in work to go from the Chubby kid from VT to a freakin Molded Behemoth . . . Bad Things Man.

Edited by Why So Serious?

No arguement here over Bruce being our Best 90's Player, though I agree with Buftex about Jimbo's intangebles.

My arguement is with how low the OP ranks Thurman Thomas 'Top 20 would be a stretch'. TT led the League in all-purpose yards 4 STRAIGHT YEARS, was a stellar pass blocker and an unstoppable force in the K-Gun. Bill Arnsbarger -long time DC of the Dolphins said when asked how to stop Thomas, "Trade for him!"

That fabulous offense that now enshrines Lofton, Reed & Kelly would not have been possible without the multi-talented Thurman Thomas. He's certainly Top 10 All-time and a strong case can be made for lower than that. Sanders (who he kept on the bench @ OSU), Simpson & Sayers couldn't help their teams with W's and he was far more versatile than many pure runners. The pounding he took over a decade of playing and performing at an outstanding level has him at or near Top 5 in my book.

No arguement here over Bruce being our Best 90's Player, though I agree with Buftex about Jimbo's intangebles.

My arguement is with how low the OP ranks Thurman Thomas 'Top 20 would be a stretch'. TT led the League in all-purpose yards 4 STRAIGHT YEARS, was a stellar pass blocker and an unstoppable force in the K-Gun. Bill Arnsbarger -long time DC of the Dolphins said when asked how to stop Thomas, "Trade for him!"

That fabulous offense that now enshrines Lofton, Reed & Kelly would not have been possible without the multi-talented Thurman Thomas. He's certainly Top 10 All-time and a strong case can be made for lower than that. Sanders (who he kept on the bench @ OSU), Simpson & Sayers couldn't help their teams with W's and he was far more versatile than many pure runners. The pounding he took over a decade of playing and performing at an outstanding level has him at or near Top 5 in my book.

That's why in my original post I stated nobody OUTSIDE of Buffalo would put Thurman in top ten or even 20 being a stretch. I mean, come on now. For years ESPN and multiple football outlets and experts have compiled lists of greatest running backs of all times. Thurman has NEVER been anywhere the top ten in any of those polls. Are you really saying Sayers, Simpson, Brown, Dickerson, Campbell etc etc would not have thrived and won with those great Buffalo teams. I appreciate your loyalty, but putting Thurman in top 5 is beyond silly. Even Jerry Sullivan wouldn't go there.

Bruce the best on that team. Kelly 2nd, it is relative to position. Bruce took over some games, Kelly did too but not as dominating...but offense has been favored in the rules since that era, so Bruce (and the 3/4 goes in there somewhere too).

Bill Polian...without him, is any of this possible...or are any of these guys even on the team?

It didn't say anything about players, just the best Buffalo Bill from the 1990's.

A beautiful house or building is never credited to the construction workers, it is always credited to the architect.

That is Bill Polian.

EDIT: And he built FOUR absolutely gorgeous "houses/buildings," unlike anything we'll ever see built again.

Edited by Bob Malooga

What about Bryce Paup? I think he needs to be in the conversation. He had one hell of a dominant 1995 season. Arguably the best free agent the Bills have ever signed. I think he's in the top 5 of the 90s.

Edited by dpberr

What about Bryce Paup? I think he needs to be in the conversation. He had one hell of a dominant 1995 season. Arguably the best free agent the Bills have ever signed. I think he's in the top 5 of the 90s.

No, he was a nice player that had a good year but no way is he too 5. Bruce, Thurman, Andre, Kelly, Bennett is my top 5. Then you have Tasker, Hull, Conlan, Washington, & Talley. I have Paup in the next tier with Spielman, Odomes and Henry Jones.

I am sure that there are some forgotten in there. Paup was a function of rushing opposite Bruce IMO. He was good though, just not great.