Marrone on the Hot Seat?

This^^

If Pegula is the new owner I do not see immediate change. Obviously, EJ's progress or lack thereof plays into this in a huge way. The current regime has placed all bets on EJ and they will stay or go with Pegula on the basis of his play.

I was thinking the same point that if it's Pegula, and I believe it will be Pegula, as long as he sees significant progress this year, he won't clean house.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of posters that this has a lot to do with new ownership, which historically makes sweeping changes, starting with VP, Football to GM to HC. The 6-10 first year record doesn't help nor does consensus of another non-playoff season, but, I think most is related to new ownership.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Keep in mind lines are set based on perception, not reality. Plenty of people (erroneously) think that a new owner will be bringing his own guy immediately.

From an odds perspective it makes a lot of sense as new ownership usually brings in their own guys. The exceptions are usually successful coaches and GMs. If the Bills don't start winning very soon I'd expect a total housecleaning when new ownership gets control.

+2 A HC needs time to change a culture, implement a system, and add/delete the personnel needed to win with both of those things.

+2 and one .

Really? What has he done to "deserve" that? Will he still deserve another year if the team finishes 3-13?

ouch. But thats not gonna happen. right ?

I agree he gets some time , if he fixes the errors from HIS FIRST YEAR ! EVER ! AS AN NFL HC . If you want to toss someone toss Whaley for the mistake.

But all of that is wrong .

He will improve . dramatically . not sure about win loss so much. but it wont be from ROOKIE mistakes

Edited by 3rdand12

Was Doug Marrone a rookie NFL HC? You bet! But, so was Chip kelly who led the Eagles to 10-6.

Marrone has previous NFL experience as an NFL player, as an NFL assistant coach, as an NFL offensive coordinator for the Saints under Sean Payton. He was also hampered by a few things. A rookie GM, a rookie OC, a corps of rookie QB's and inexperienced staff. No QB coach or senior offensive assistant with NFL experience.

I believe Marrone was also working under a different edict under owner Ralph Wilson. An owner who wanted to win, but also wanted his CEO to keep the team as profitable as possible to make the team more attractive for the next owner.

I think things have changed for this season by adding some experienced offensive coaches, and trying to build a better line for the offense. I just gotta wonder if it isn't to little too late to save this regime. Any new owner will want to win asap, and anything other then at least 8-8 with some bright promise will probably not be good enough.

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. (I have a hard time with sarcasm)

Here's the ones I can think of off the top my head:

Kurt Warner

Rich Gannon

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Doug Flutie

Drew Brees

Chad Pennington

Joe Montana

Craig Morton

Matt Hasselbeck

Mark Brunell

Alex Smith

Kelly Holcomb

Peyton Manning

Jay Cutler

Dave Krieg

Kerry Collins

Matt Schaub

Sorry for not being clear in what I meant. I meant which "Veteran Castoff" currently can take a team to the playoffs....None. Also, Peyton, Montanna, Cutler do not count as castoffs. The only player who did well in that list besides the obvious is Kurt Warner. He took the Cardinals to the SB and still lost it. The only player who won a SB (again besides Montana, Peyton) is Brad Johnson and that was with the strength of that defense in Tampa Bay.

Jury is still out on Marrone for me. I didn't think he was a great gameday coach last year, and frankly, I find his Debbie Downer act a little tiresome...seems like the honeymoon is very much over for him as far as dealing with the media. Of course, I had the same feelings about Couglin a few years back, when he was in serious consideration for the Bills head coaching job...two rings later...

Reading this thread reminds me of the post-game comments for Oh so many years: We know what we have to do, we just have to execute. We'll be ready next week, just wait and see. The coach isn't on the field, the players are and we'll get this turned around very soon. Yada, yada, yada....

Really? What has he done to "deserve" that? Will he still deserve another year if the team finishes 3-13?

First, he deserves a 2nd year because it's impossible to assess a coach's capability in the context of a single football season...as to the 3rd, you're suggesting a 3-13 record without putting any of that in context...did EJ regress? Were there multiple injuries other than the one known? Were 5 of those losses on last second field goals? What is the whole story is my question...now, if Marrone goes 3-13 with everything the way it is right now, I think the biggest issue I would have would be did he stick with EJ through the whole season or at some point near mid-season if EJ was stinking the place up, did he give Tuel a chance? If not, and he rode EJ out, then I seriously question his ability but he still gets a 3rd season with *THAT* season being the hot seat, and if he did give Tuel a chance and the results were the same, what was the Offense's capability, and is the simple solution DW accepting the fact that EJ is NOT the guy and the BILLS need to get "their" QB of the future, because to me that's the only question truly remaining for this year...who is EJ? is he the Franchise QB of their future, or another unfortunate tale of talent unrealized?? Either way, barring something truly unforeseen, Marrone gets this year and next year with this year being the determining factor as to what *his* expectations are regarding how this team performs...you don't fire a coach after 2 seasons unless there is statistical and anecdotal evidence to support such a termination, and no a W-L record isolated in a vacuum does not warrant such a thing in the first or second year...Remember, Sean Payton went 3-13 with Drew Brees before they took over 1st place in the NFC South the following year and haven't looked back since....