Charley Casserly prediction on NFLN

ALF

I believe he said it was a "good chance, in his opinion". Something to that effect.

Of course you are right, no one can predict the future . I corrected the entry to be more fair :thumbsup:

I like Charley even though his team beat us in a SB

Edited by ALF

It would suck if it's a top 10 pick, but I'd rather have Kuandjo than a first round pick next year, so I'm fine with it.

But you could have had Kuandjo (sp?) and another player if we had that pick. Mind=blown.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of the trade up for Wunderkins

One aspect that does not get discussed much is the financial advantage to not having to pay a 1st rounder next year. If they earn it, the bills will need to shell out major bucks for Glenn, dareus, Gilmore and maybe spiller very soon.

If you hit on your other picks and fill needs in FA it won't be as issue.

Edited by YoloinOhio

One aspect that does not get discussed much is the financial advantage to not having to pay a 1st rounder next year. If they earn it, the bills will need to shell out major bucks for Glenn, dareus, Gilmore and maybe spiller very soon.

If you hit on your other picks and fill needs in FA it won't be as issue.

Oh come on yolo.... Your better than an "atleast we don't have a first rounder because we might not be able to afford it" post

Oh come on yolo.... Your better than an "atleast we don't have a first rounder because we might not be able to afford it" post

lol. It does free up money though over the next few years. We have a lot of mouths to feed coming off of rookie deals.

lol. It does free up money though over the next few years. We have a lot of mouths to feed coming off of rookie deals.

I can't believe that you really believe that. Draft picks - even high first rounders - are generally the cheapest way to add talent to a roster. High draft picks are also (with rare exceptions) the only way to add highly talented players at certain positions, QB included. If the a Bills happen to be in the market for one of those next offseason and that player goes to the Browns with the Bills' pick how is that going to sit?

Here is the rookie salary info:

http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap-2014.php

Bear in mind that each rookie who makes a team eliminates a current player and their salary so there is an offset of at least $420k in salary, but possibly much more. So even the 10th overall pick at $2.3M would add less than $1.9M to the cap. Less than $2M for the player chosen with the 10th pick. And you're happy about not having that. Maybe you should reconsider.

Edited by BarleyNY

I can't believe that you really believe that. Draft picks - even high first rounders - are generally the cheapest way to add talent to a roster. High draft picks are also (with rare exceptions) the only way to add highly talented players at certain positions, QB included. If the a Bills happen to be in the market for one of those next offseason and that player goes to the Browns with the Bills' pick how is that going to sit?

i didn't say that was WHY they made the trade. I said it is an overlooked aspect. And it is, because the Bills have a very young team that if they want to keep together they need a lot of freed up cap space. 1st rd Rookie deals are cheaper than ever, but that doesn't make them cheap. I don't care where the pick is or who the browns take or don't take. The bills would be very unlikely to take a QB next year and any other position can be had in FA if there is a real need. I don't need to "believe" it. It is discussed frequently amongst front office cap people.you can be a lot more creative with an FA deal than a 1st rd rookie deal when it comes to guaranteed money and length.and they will need to be creative over the next few years and hopefully more as they develop the very good talent they have selected.

i didn't say that was WHY they made the trade. I said it is an overlooked aspect. And it is, because the Bills have a very young team that if they want to keep together they need a lot of freed up cap space. 1st rd Rookie deals are cheaper than ever, but that doesn't make them cheap. I don't care where the pick is or who the browns take or don't take. The bills would be very unlikely to take a QB next year and any other position can be had in FA if there is a real need. I don't need to "believe" it. It is discussed frequently amongst front office cap people.you can be a lot more creative with an FA deal than a 1st rd rookie deal when it comes to guaranteed money and length.and they will need to be creative over the next few years and hopefully more as they develop the very good talent they have selected.

It's not an overlooked aspect because it isn't really an aspect. You don't save money by not having a first round pick because the value of that pick is very high. Production versus pay expectations very much favor production. That's why draft picks are valuable. Just look at what 1st round picks make on their SECOND contracts. Or just look at the link to what they make now. Then compare that to what gets paid to some very run-of-the-mill FAs. Draft picks add talent cheaply if used correctly. Every last front office person knows all of this.

EJ as a middle of the round pick is on a 5 year 8.8m contract.

Chris williams is on a 4 year 13.5m, alan branch got a 3 year 8.5m extension, manny lawson a 4 year 12m contract.... these are all guys expected to contribute, but..... i guess im getting at the fact that its cheaper to get a good role player in the draft than free agency and they come with more upside.

Of course everyone other then Browns, Bills fans thinks the Browns and Bills will finish last in their divisions, and be looking to draft a QB next year. So many in the media have already criticized the 2014 trade, and they could be justified to do so.

It remains to be seen if the trade will work out to propel the Bills to later first round draft pick this year, and even if the Bills make it to the playoffs. Fans will probably still be complaining about the trade at the 2015 draft. We fans had no control over the situation, and still don't. All we can do is vent or cheer. BTW, :censored: Charlie