Worst Game in Bills History

Given the popularity of "Most Exciting Bills Game" I felt this thread was needed to do justice to our suffering.

For me, I am going to exclude Super Bowls because a) it's too obvious, and b) I associate them with getting together with friends, partying, etc ... so even though the outcome may not have been what I wanted, the atmosphere was still positive. Also I've found i can't pick just 1, so I have a top 3 (not necessarily in order):

1. A Monday night game in 2008 against Cleveland. At the Ralph in freezing rain, Bills needing a FG in the closing minute to win. Bills get the ball to Cleveland 30, for what would be a 47 yard field goal. Instead of trying to get extra yards and making it easier for Lindell in the horrible weather, Jauron elects not to take any chances, we effectively take a knee on consecutive downs, and "settle" for a 47 yarder. Result: Lindell misses, looks like a goat.

2. In 2009, red hot Saints come into town. Bills actually have a chance in 4th quarter only down by 3. But the defense is clearly tiring from being on the field so much. Instead of going for it on 4th and short from around our own 40, Jauron elects to punt because he would later say to make the Saints "earn it". Which they did, by proceeding to score 17 unanswered points on a worn out defense.

What's so bad for me in both of these Jauron games is not trying to win and putting his players in a position to look bad. And it was incredibly frustrating watching Jauron make the same gutless decisions game after game.

3. 2011 game against Cowboys. Truly pathetic, and what had been clear to some of us (Fitz was not an NFL starter, and Gailey knew nothing about defense), became clear to all. People often ask what would a top Division A team like Alabama look like against an average NFL team, this game answered what would a crappy AA team look like. A smiling Romo played pitch and catch with his receivers because we couldn't get any pressure or cover anyone. Fitz was helpless as a newborn chick. It was clearly a lost cause from the first snap.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Monday night Cowboys game sticks out to me. We started so well and choked at the end. When I realized that Jauron called timeout just before the snap I was so excited and didn't think the kicker could hit it again from that distance. I was wrong. That Pats Monday night game where Mckelvin fumbled was pretty bad too.

The Monday night Cowboys game sticks out to me. We started so well and choked at the end. When I realized that Jauron called timeout just before the snap I was so excited and didn't think the kicker could hit it again from that distance. I was wrong. That Pats Monday night game where Mckelvin fumbled was pretty bad too.

Yeah this. Both of those games ending the way they did on national TV felt like a punch in the stomach. Blowouts don't hurt nearly that much.

If you mean worst as in rip your heart out it's clearly Super Bowl 25. Bills Titans wild card game is second. I don't think I spoke for 3 days after that game. That was after I yelled so hard and long at my TV set that I pulled through stitches in my mouth (I had my wisdom teeth out the day before)

This game was just embarrassing. I know there was a lot of snow but my god it was bad.

That was a different debacle. You're thinking of Cleveland 8, Buffalo 0 in Cleveland. It was a nice sunny day for my debacle.

Given the popularity of "Most Exciting Bills Game" I felt this thread was needed to do justice to our suffering.

For me, I am going to exclude Super Bowls because a) it's too obvious, and b) I associate them with getting together with friends, partying, etc ... so even though the outcome may not have been what I wanted, the atmosphere was still positive. Also I've found i can't pick just 1, so I have a top 3 (not necessarily in order):

1. A Monday night game in 2008 against Cleveland. At the Ralph in freezing rain, Bills needing a FG in the closing minute to win. Bills get the ball to Cleveland 30, for what would be a 47 yard field goal. Instead of trying to get extra yards and making it easier for Lindell in the horrible weather, Jauron elects not to take any chances, we effectively take a knee on consecutive downs, and "settle" for a 47 yarder. Result: Lindell misses, looks like a goat.

2. Another from 2009, red hot Saints come into town. Bills actually have a chance in 4th quarter only down by 3. But the defense is clearly tiring from being on the field so much. Instead of going for it on 4th and short from around our own 40, Jauron elects to punt because he would later say to make the Saints "earn it". Which they did, by proceeding to score 17 unanswered points on a worn out defense.

What's so bad for me in both of these Jauron games is not trying to win and putting his players in a position to look bad.

3. 2011 game against Cowboys. Truly pathetic, and what had been clear to some of us (Fitz was not an NFL starter, and Gailey knew nothing about defense), became clear to all. People often ask what would a top Division A team like Alabama look like against an average NFL team, this game answered what would a crappy AA team look like. A smiling Romo played pitch and catch with his receivers because we couldn't get any pressure or cover anyone. Fitz was helpless as a newborn chick. It was clearly a lost cause from the first snap.

These are such random games. How about Super Bowl XXV? If we're only talking new school, I'd have to go with the 6-3 game, the opening Monday Night loss at New England, the Monday Night Dallas loss, last play losses at home to Denver, Jacksonville and Tennessee, the multi-fumble game against Atlanta last year, etc., etc., etc. We weren't beating the Saints that day, I don't care about that punt call.

Yeah this. Both of those games ending the way they did on national TV felt like a punch in the stomach. Blowouts don't hurt nearly that much.

Those 2 for me as well. They summed up the new century Bills, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edited by billsfan714

If you mean worst as in rip your heart out it's clearly Super Bowl 25. Bills Titans wild card game is second. I don't think I spoke for 3 days after that game. That was after I yelled so hard and long at my TV set that I pulled through stitches in my mouth (I had my wisdom teeth out the day before)

That was a different debacle. You're thinking of Cleveland 8, Buffalo 0 in Cleveland. It was a nice sunny day for my debacle.

Thanks for clearing that up. So many great Bills and Brown's games

I agree with almost all the games said. One that I have to mention because it still kills me to this day is that 29-24 loss to the steelers in 2004 I think it was. Win and we were "in" (playoffs) ... Instead we get our butts kicked by 2nd and 3rd stringers.

so embarrassing and maddening.

I agree with almost all the games said. One that I have to mention because it still kills me to this day is that 29-24 loss to the steelers in 2004 I think it was. Win and we were "in" (playoffs) ... Instead we get our butts kicked by 2nd and 3rd stringers.

so embarrassing and maddening.

Oh yeah, that was bad. I was there. Cowher was trying to lose to help his buddy Mularkey by cleaning out the bench and calling the same sweep play every time, and we still got our butts kicked. Lindell's miss of the short FG at end of half was an omen, and Bledsoe threw a couple of wounded ducks.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The Monday night Cowboys game sticks out to me. We started so well and choked at the end. When I realized that Jauron called timeout just before the snap I was so excited and didn't think the kicker could hit it again from that distance. I was wrong.

I disagree. I was at that game and, although the result sucked, it was probably the most exciting live sporting event I have ever attended. The Ralph was absolutely electric and the game featured huge play after huge play. Very ballsy performance by Romo after throwing four picks. Hard to say this was one of the worst games in Bills history. I might have to pick the season opener against the Jests in 2012, which made it seem like the season was over after only one game. I guess it pretty much was, wasn't it?

Houston Game 1992

I was at this game 4th row seats Bills Side. Jim Kelly hurt early and Bills go on to lose 27-3. 1 week later they were down another 33 points to the same Houston team (down 60 - 6 over this timespan ) the worst 6 qtrs in Bills history before they exploded for the greatest 2 qtrs in Bills History.

Edited by fan_in_tx

same gutless decisions game after game.

Funny you mention this one...I am not sure it wold be my "worst in history", there have been so many games just like this. For me though, this was one of my personal "luckiest" Bills games.

I live in Austin, and normally go to any Bills games played in Texas. On this particular weekend though, I had to work on Saturday, and could not get out of it. Many of my friends were going, but everyone was leaving on Friday night, or Saturday, to spend the weekend. I really wanted to go to the game, and had arranged to buy a ticket from someone, and was going to take a bus to Dallas, early in the morning on Sunday, and then ride back with some friends. When Sunday morning rolled around, I slept through my alarm.

I had worked 18 hours the day before....I woke about 30 minutes too late to catch the bus I was going to take... and I just did not feel like driving there and back, by myself. The mature, adult, responsible part of me took over for a second, and I just decided I wasn't going to go. The game was on regular tv here (a rarity, unless the Bills are playing the Cowboys or Texans), so I went back to sleep...woke up a few hours later, started listening to the Sunday morning football chat shows....strangely, this feeling of guilt, for not supporting my team kicked in....it went away about 10 minutes into the game... I felt so glad I didn't make the Herculean effort to go to the game, and spend way too much for a ticket..for that! I have been to far too many road games like that... I showed up, other Bills fans showed up, but the Bills themselves couldn't be bothered...

Edited by Buftex

worst game ever by far.

True story:

The week after that game was played, I was at the Pro Football HOF in Canton. It was, if I recall, a Wednesday or Thursday morning. There were not a ton of people in the building... miserable weather outside...as I am wandering through the displays, looking at all the cool old jerseys on display, an announcement comes over the PA system. Somebody says "Attention ladies and gentlemen. If you would like to see the latest artifact submitted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, please head to the auditorium to see a special airing of this past Sundays' Browns and Bills game....the worst game in NFL history." The guy on the PA chuckled at the end, as did most around me. Nobody made a move toward the auditorium, and I had already sat through it once... I assume that most of the folks working at the HOF are Browns fans...the guy was just having fun...and hell the Browns won! They must have been feeling good...

Edited by Buftex

I (as most of you) have seen a lot of really bad football games, as Bills fans. It is a lot harder for me to say which one, or two, or three are the "worst", than it is for me to say which were the "most exciting".

If I had to pick one, I would guess, it came during the Dick Jauron era... for me, the worst era of Bills football, ever... I would pick the game in the Meadowlands, in 2008, as I recall. JP Losman had been demoted to second string, for good...Trent Edwards was struggling (or was he injured? It is all a blur)..Losman was getting what many said was his "very last chance" to show the Bills weren't fools for drafting him in the first round in 2004...his last chance to show he was a starting caliber NFL QB. As I recall, he played "ok", not great...until the final few minutes. He threw 2 picks late, but somehow, the Bills, who were in the midst of one their futility streaks for road games, were actually winning in the waning minutes of the game...all they had to do was kill the clock... 3rd and something (2 or 3 maybe), Losman rolls right...is he going to run or pass? While it looked like he might have been able to get it with his feet, he started to bring his arm like he going to try to throw it...a Jets D-lineman stripped him of the ball, and it was recovered, and returned for a TD by Sean Ellis...

Up to that point, I was as positive and as apologetic as any Bills fan... but instead of getting pissed off and slamming my hand on the bar, I remember, I just started laughing...I couldn't control myself...it was "so Bills".... that game, or maybe moreover Dick Jauron, for the first time in my life, had my wondering why the hell I root for this team...