Worst Game in Bills History

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to go back... the loss to kansas city at the rockpile.. it was the AFL championship game, winner goes to the first super bowl.. it was a crappy weather day, dudley meredith screws up the opening kick-off by fumbling or being offsides(cant remember) .. and the bills never got any traction.. K C just had it all working.. mike garrett ran wild that day..

Edited by dwight in philly

i have to go back... the loss to kansas city at the rockpile.. it was the AFL championship game, winner goes to the first super bowl.. it was a crappy weather day, dudley meredith screws up the opening kick-off by fumbling or being offsides(cant remember) .. and the bills never got any traction.. K C just had it all working.. mike garrett ran wild that day..

Brutal. Had no idea we were that close to first super bowl. At home too, so we were favored?

Brutal. Had no idea we were that close to first super bowl. At home too, so we were favored?

yes. i do recall that we were, not sure by how much.. i just remember that going into the game, we all were pretty confident.. at home, coming off two AFL titles, it was a preview of the feeling you got after "wide right".. but the game was pretty much in hand by KC throughout ..

This may have in fact been the worst game I have EVER seen, not just a Bills game.

I often tell people that the "Derek Anderson 2 completed passes" game is the worst game of football I have seen at ANY LEVEL. When the Bills kicked their FG no one even sang Shout. It was terrible.

Worst game as in on the field would have to be the 6-3 Browns game.

Worst game where it hurt the most would be a toss up between the Monday night against dallas and the sunday night against NE where Leodis fumbled the game away.

The Monday night Cowboys game sticks out to me. We started so well and choked at the end. When I realized that Jauron called timeout just before the snap I was so excited and didn't think the kicker could hit it again from that distance. I was wrong. That Pats Monday night game where Mckelvin fumbled was pretty bad too.

There are literally dozens of them. But these two standout for the obvious reasons. The look on Jones face in the owners booth was very painful to witness, and took days of vodka therapy to recover from it.

I agree with almost all the games said. One that I have to mention because it still kills me to this day is that 29-24 loss to the steelers in 2004 I think it was. Win and we were "in" (playoffs) ... Instead we get our butts kicked by 2nd and 3rd stringers.

so embarrassing and maddening.

How many times must i go through this...IT WAS NOT WIN AND YOUR IN...It was win and have a Jets loss and your in. The Jets stopped playing thier starters after they saw the Bills lost, lost on OT to the Rams...But were ahead in the game when the Bills score was announced in St Loius.

yes. i do recall that we were, not sure by how much.. i just remember that going into the game, we all were pretty confident.. at home, coming off two AFL titles, it was a preview of the feeling you got after "wide right".. but the game was pretty much in hand by KC throughout ..

Somewhere deep in the man cave and unpacked we have two tickets for superbowl I They say Green Bay packers vs. Buffalo Bills. Got them decades ago. back then for the conference championship the NFL printed up the different combinations. and we got our hands on two. What it could have been The bIlls in the first superbowl. I believe there was only one week between championship games and the superbowl.

From a historical POV, perhaps. But our '66 team was a shell of the Champions the previous 2 seasons. Cookie & Saban were gone and we were 3-3-1 at one point before finishing 9-4-1. KC was the better team that day and going forward while the Bills collapsed for 6 seasons.

We were driving deep into Chiefs territory late in the 1st half to take the lead, but Johnny Robinson picked off Kemp at the goal line and returned it about 90 yards, setting up a FG and KC never looked back, steam rolling us throughout the 2nd half.

The "Mistake by the Lake" in 1984 the 1-9 Browns visit the 0-10 Bills. Mistake buy the Lake was on all of the bags that were sold outside the stadium to wear over their heads, the next week we beat the Big Bad Couwboys, in what Tony Dorsett called their most embarassing loss ever.

I agree with almost all the games said. One that I have to mention because it still kills me to this day is that 29-24 loss to the steelers in 2004 I think it was. Win and we were "in" (playoffs) ... Instead we get our butts kicked by 2nd and 3rd stringers.

so embarrassing and maddening.

This is the one that first popped into my mind. The Stelelers had nothing to play for and were resting starters. We had everything to play for and dropped our drawers right on the field. A very sad game.

2007 Season

Pats @ Bills flexed to primetime on NBC

Score was 35-7 at halftime, ended up 56 to 10 for the pats. They never took their foot off the pedal (I remember everyone ripping Bill Belichek for not easing up). Bills even had Kevin Everette give an emotional pep talk to the team/crowd.... no effect. Just an awful game and a long drive home.

Given the popularity of "Most Exciting Bills Game" I felt this thread was needed to do justice to our suffering.

For me, I am going to exclude Super Bowls because a) it's too obvious, and b) I associate them with getting together with friends, partying, etc ... so even though the outcome may not have been what I wanted, the atmosphere was still positive. Also I've found i can't pick just 1, so I have a top 3 (not necessarily in order):

1. A Monday night game in 2008 against Cleveland. At the Ralph in freezing rain, Bills needing a FG in the closing minute to win. Bills get the ball to Cleveland 30, for what would be a 47 yard field goal. Instead of trying to get extra yards and making it easier for Lindell in the horrible weather, Jauron elects not to take any chances, we effectively take a knee on consecutive downs, and "settle" for a 47 yarder. Result: Lindell misses, looks like a goat.

2. In 2009, red hot Saints come into town. Bills actually have a chance in 4th quarter only down by 3. But the defense is clearly tiring from being on the field so much. Instead of going for it on 4th and short from around our own 40, Jauron elects to punt because he would later say to make the Saints "earn it". Which they did, by proceeding to score 17 unanswered points on a worn out defense.

What's so bad for me in both of these Jauron games is not trying to win and putting his players in a position to look bad. And it was incredibly frustrating watching Jauron make the same gutless decisions game after game.

3. 2011 game against Cowboys. Truly pathetic, and what had been clear to some of us (Fitz was not an NFL starter, and Gailey knew nothing about defense), became clear to all. People often ask what would a top Division A team like Alabama look like against an average NFL team, this game answered what would a crappy AA team look like. A smiling Romo played pitch and catch with his receivers because we couldn't get any pressure or cover anyone. Fitz was helpless as a newborn chick. It was clearly a lost cause from the first snap.

Our Last Playoff Appearance. Should have won that game, and that team should have went to the Super Bowl and beat St. Louis.