Okay...if not EJ, then who?

There is no doubt there was not much choice last year in the draft. Of any I would have preferred EJ, but would have selected no one with the 1st round pick. None was worthy.

To say there was no choice is wrong though. Smith was available, and would have worked till the Bills had a QB worthy of a pick. As it is, we gave up our chance for a QB next year and did nothing to even find a later round alternate this year. EJ never looked like a sure thing, but the Bills treated him as one. Now we pay the price if they are wrong.

Again the team is going all in on choices and not having a legitimate Plan B if they are wrong. Like getting a legitimate replacement for Lev in the O-line. Or a legitimate plan B for replacing Byrd if the existing, previously unimpressive players don't magically step up .

That is the real problem with Bills management, it is not about the gambling, it is about not having a legitimate Plan B if the gamble fails.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt there was not much choice last year in the draft. Of any I would have preferred EJ, but would have selected no one with the 1st round pick. None was worthy.

To say there was no choice is wrong though. Smith was available, and would have worked till the Bills had a QB worthy of a pick. As it is, we gave up our chance for a QB next year and did nothing to even find a later round alternate this year. EJ never looked like a sure thing, but the Bills treated him as one. Now we pay the price if they are wrong.

Again the team is going all in on choices and not having a legitimate Plan B if they are wrong. Like getting a legitimate replacement for Lev in the O-line. Or a legitimate plan B for replacing Byrd if the existing, previously unimpressive players don't magically step up .

That is the real problem with Bills management, it is not about the gambling, it is about not having a legitimate Plan B if the gamble fails.

No team has a plan B for every position. Even QB. What's the Pats plan B for Brady? Also are you saying you'd rather have Geno Smith over EJ? The Geno Smith with 21 INTs, 4 fumbles and a 55.8% comp pct?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No team has a plan B for every position. Even QB. What's the Pats plan B for Brady? Also are you saying you'd rather have Geno Smith over EJ? The Geno Smith with 21 INTs, 4 fumbles and a 55.8% comp pct?

I'm curious of the same thing. They brought in Vick in case they see the same thing they did last year. Vick still has more than our back ups have to offer but it's not a huge security blanket they put over tier shoulders.

The jets are good or were before because of their defense and their offense provides enough to win.

Our defense was good by all accounts except for the running game. Special teams also didn't help in certain situations.

Can't pub it all on the offense but they do have their share to prove.

EJ still needs to grow and the o line need to get together also.

Edited by The Wiz

they have a 2nd round pick behind him now, right? You could do worse for a backup plan.

I say E.J. should get the first 4 games to show he has it. If he struggles badly. It`s Lewis or Tuel,who ever is #2 Q.b. the rest of the year and we go searching in the draft again. Use our 2nd pick or work some kind of trade to move up. No excuses now. The best rb tandum in the league and some real talent at wr . Just think Brady with our weapons or any top 10 Qb. E.J. needs to step up or sit down.

I say E.J. should get the first 4 games to show he has it. If he struggles badly. It`s Lewis or Tuel,who ever is #2 Q.b. the rest of the year and we go searching in the draft again. Use our 2nd pick or work some kind of trade to move up. No excuses now. The best rb tandum in the league and some real talent at wr . Just think Brady with our weapons or any top 10 Qb. E.J. needs to step up or sit down.

they have a 2nd round pick behind him now, right? You could do worse for a backup plan.

Who's that?

Boyd 6th round

Simms undrafted

Vick first overall pick in 2001

We had Vince Young before right? And Lienhart? They should be the back ups or even starters.

EDIT: thought you were referencing the jets. Nvm.

Edited by The Wiz

Big deal. They drafted somebody this year. How is that a plan B? What proof is there that Garappolo can replace Brady?

Curious why you would be happy with giving up after 4 games to two players that have significantly less ability than EJ?

Let's give in to the idea for a moment that EJ isn't the guy. Did the Bills miss an opportunity with another QB? Listening to Schopp pretty much throw EJ (and Marrone for that matter) under the bus today, I started thinking about what other options there were in 2013 and 2014.

Nassib? Bridgewater? Geno Smith? Would you be any more optimistic with these QBs on the Bills right now instead of EJ? To me EJ was the best from an apparently weak class. But also keep in mind that 80% of Bills fans wanted a QB taken in 2013.

So the Bills got EJ and the feeling was that at least the Bills are taking a shot. We even got EJ plus Kiko by trading down. But a year later and good feelings are gone. What if we waited till 2014? No Sammy but Manziel at 9? Bortles? Would we be any more guaranteed success with those guys?

My point is the Bills really didn't have much choice but take EJ and go all in with him. There was no other QB that was a consensus franchise player in either the 2013 or 2014 draft. Would you have stuck with Fitz for two more years? Sign a free agent? If so, who? Vick? Freeman? Sanchez? How about any QB from this list of 2013 free agents?

Again, not only was there no sure bets at QB in either draft, there was no quality free agent QBs to sign in 2013 or 2014 either. So it was going to EJ any way you slice it.

PTR

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/169093-how-good-does-ej-have-to-be/

Crusader....

As a person who's seen what's happened in Cleveland the last 15 years first hand, this is dangerous thinking. Only if EJ is horrifically bad over at least 6 games should they think about benching him when healthy. Especially without a first rounder next year. I certainly hope it doesn't come to this.

Wilson looks a hell of a lot better with a defense that has allowed just 14.875 PPG over the past 2 seasons.

Absolutely! And a beast of a running back who....uh, never mind...

Amen. Wilson has not had to carry that team in any way. He has a ring because that team had a monster defense and running game.He may very well turn out to be a great QB; however, he is not one yet - not even close.

In 2012 the Redskins drafted RG3 with the 2nd overall pick. With an early 4th round pick they took Kirk Cousins and now it seem they have a pretty good insurance policy in case RG3 does a repeat of last year. If RG3 returns to form this season, then the Skins can probably get a first our early 2nd for Cousins.

There are ways to prepare for a QB not performing up to expectations.

In this year's draft there were some very good mid round prospects that the Bills should have taken a crack at. Aaron Murray went in the 5th, AJ McCarron went in the 5th, Zach Mettenberger went in the 6th round. Why not take a shot at someone just in case EJ fails this season? Then at least you have someone with potential who has been in the system for a year. To me EJ looked very shaky in year one and not having a plan B is a big mistake by Whaley.

Give EJ a chance, the guy has very strong work ethic, has a lot of talent, and his team, guys that are in the NFL seem to all support him. Seriously you would rather have Manziel, anyone see him talking into his money phone this week, or floating around drunk on the inflatable swan. I'll stick with the guy that spent the offseason working his a-- off with the intention of living up to the high expectations the Bills put on him. The three best QBs in the league Brady, Manning and Brees all have one thing in common Work Ethic, EJ has it too give the guy a chance....

Give EJ a chance, the guy has very strong work ethic, has a lot of talent, and his team, guys that are in the NFL seem to all support him. Seriously you would rather have Manziel, anyone see him talking into his money phone this week, or floating around drunk on the inflatable swan. I'll stick with the guy that spent the offseason working his a-- off with the intention of living up to the high expectations the Bills put on him. The three best QBs in the league Brady, Manning and Brees all have one thing in common Work Ethic, EJ has it too give the guy a chance....

As a person I think EJ is a great person. He is smart and has a ton of talent. But I am definitely worried that he doesn't have the instincts to play at a high level in the NFL. I think that was a serious concern when we watched him last season and it is worrisome that the offense looks like this to start camp.

I agree with all of that and I hope for the best with EJ. Having said that, I have a son at FSU and have been watching EJ for several years. He's a great guy in so many ways. I just wish he didn't struggle so much throwing a football accurately. This was not a new thing. I hope it can improve.