Do you believe that the Toronto group will keep the team in Buffalo?

KDIGGZ

268 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Toronto group when they say they will keep the team in Buffalo?

• Yes
    • No way
    • I'm hopelessly optimistic and let's see what happens

I stopped reading your post when you said the NFL will do whatever it can to make money so it will leave the team in Buffalo to do so. Sorry but that makes no sense. The team is worth probably almost 100% more in Toronto. It's the 4th largest city in North America. Nobody cares that the Bills are an original AFL team besides Bills fans. The Houston Oilers were too and they left town and that is the 4th biggest city in the US. And Buffalo is the 2nd smallest in the NFL. The NFL would like the team to stay (they say they want all of their teams to stay) but the fact is the team is far more valuable in Toronto

Where is the largest amount of revenue come from for the NFL? TV revenue.

Buffalo, the team, yes could be worth more in Toronto, to the owner. Things that aren't collectively bargained, like suites, might sell more, therefore generating more revenue for the team.

The NFL is already in that market, they have TV deals with multiple Canadian cable providers. So that's revenue the NFL is already splitting up as part of the $6 billion it gets annually. Canada is also a bit weird with regards to TV deals, per the CRTC (Canada's FCC) no one provider can have exclusivity. So deals like DirecTV, you won't see in Canada, providers won't be fighting over each other to get those deals. So could the NFL get more money out Toronto team? Maybe, but IMO, it wouldn't be nearly as much as you seem to think. It's almost the same as a team moving to Los Angeles. The NFL already has people watching the NFL in LA, it's not like it's a black out in terms of NFL games, so moving a team there doesn't generate more TV revenue, which again is where the NFL makes most of it's money. In a lot of ways not having a team in LA is helping the NFL. If the NFL really truly needed that LA market for revenue, they would have a team there, I guarantee that.

Does it look good from a marketing perspective to have an international team? Sure. But the NFL is already in Toronto, making money, and making quite a bit.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The had Lt. Gov Duffy on the radio here this morning (he is from Rochester) and they were talking about the Bills sale. His comments, framed in a politically correct way praising the Gov as well as the Bills front office, was that the he thinks the Bills should stay in Buffalo, and that the 400 mil penalty (imposed, he said, by the Governor) is very helpful for that but ultimately it will be up to the new ownership to decide. Then he made some jokes about having 8-tracks of Bon Jovi ;).

Refreshingly honest for a politician was my overall impression.

The had Lt. Gov Duffy on the radio here this morning (he is from Rochester) and they were talking about the Bills sale. His comments, framed in a politically correct way praising the Gov as well as the Bills front office, was that the he thinks the Bills should stay in Buffalo, and that the 400 mil penalty (imposed, he said, by the Governor) is very helpful for that but ultimately it will be up to the new ownership to decide. Then he made some jokes about having 8-tracks of Bon Jovi ;).

Refreshingly honest for a politician was my overall impression.

I loved his quote on Twitter. I don't think Cuomo wants that black eye of the Bills leaving Buffalo during his watch. He already doesn't have a lot of supporters around here, that would really put it over the top. Schumer is a pretty influential guy in Washington too and he would do whatever he could to make life tough on the NFL if they allow the Bills to leave

I loved his quote on Twitter. I don't think Cuomo wants that black eye of the Bills leaving Buffalo during his watch. He already doesn't have a lot of supporters around here, that would really put it over the top. Schumer is a pretty influential guy in Washington too and he would do whatever he could to make life tough on the NFL if they allow the Bills to leave

Yeah his twitter quotes are exactly what you would hope would come from a previous mayor of Rochester and current politician, as well as a Bills fan apparently :)

Schumer has come up in several (probably too many) threads already. But I like your qualifier in bold :)

With serious thought given to the question...no.

Additionally, I am a little p****d and insulted by the propaganda of keeping the team here.

If they are the winning bidder they will give every outward appearance of wanting to keep the team here, other than the terms for a new stadium which shall be draconian at best. Such terms maybe even comparable to the NFL "diva list" for the NFL Championship Game, (don't want to get in trouble for using the SB phrase without permission) like Minnesota had to sign to.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Thats exactly how it would go down. $1 Billion dollar stadium, with demands for the State/County to pay for it all while providing the Bills sweetheart and crippling lease terms. Cant/wont do it? Well, we tried. We feel bad for Bills fans but we will be "an hour" down the road. They are all welcome to follow us! Oh, but Bills doesnt make sense in Toronto, so we will have to alter all that... etc.

Thats exactly how it would go down. $1 Billion dollar stadium, with demands for the State/County to pay for it all while providing the Bills sweetheart and crippling lease terms. Cant/wont do it? Well, we tried. We feel bad for Bills fans but we will be "an hour" down the road. They are all welcome to follow us! Oh, but Bills doesnt make sense in Toronto, so we will have to alter all that... etc.

ugh. Exactly, MD10, exactly the way I picture it.

Why stop there, though...county to pick a number of penthouse hotels for free for the owners and their guests...and the NFL will support them every step of the way.

BTW, can anyone please explain to me why we didn't see this sort of interest when the Jags were for sale?

:wallbash:

EDIT: please, please, btw. I have heard the words already.

"We commend Bills fans on their years of support to the organization, and cheering the red, white and blue every Sunday in the Fall, and we sincerely hope and openly invite them to come over the border and continue that support and contribution to the excitement of NFL football in Southern Ontario!"

Like some sort of excited doofus, thinking we should suck it down like so much tripe.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

ugh. Exactly, MD10, exactly the way I picture it.

Why stop there, though...county to pick a number of penthouse hotels for free for the owners and their guests...and the NFL will support them every step of the way.

BTW, can anyone please explain to me why we didn't see this sort of interest when the Jags were for sale?

:wallbash:

EDIT: please, please, btw. I have heard the words already.

"We commend Bills fans on their years of support to the organization, and cheering the red, white and blue every Sunday in the Fall, and we sincerely hope and openly invite them to come over the border and continue that support and contribution to the excitement of NFL football in Southern Ontario!"

Like some sort of excited doofus, thinking we should suck it down like so much tripe.

Our only hope is that a local guy (Pegula) is in the ballpark of the Toronto bid and the NFL and the Trust see that as the preferred route. One of my fears that not a lot of people have talked about is Ralph's niece Mary is a part of the Trust and she is the one responsible for setting up the Bills in Toronto series.

Our only hope is that a local guy (Pegula) is in the ballpark of the Toronto bid and the NFL and the Trust see that as the preferred route. One of my fears that not a lot of people have talked about is Ralph's niece Mary is a part of the Trust and she is the one responsible for setting up the Bills in Toronto series.

Mary Owen has been a Bills executive for years (and she is still young). She is the one member of the Wilson family that has taken an active role in the business. Mary is also in the stadium search committee. She (like Mary Wilson) has absolutely ZERO interest in the team leaving WNY.

This is the kind of thing that inspired the take a deep breath thread. Her job is to work on special projects and maximize revenue. The Toronto series was started for 2 reasons: to offset the non shared revenue that you cannot generate at RWS and to further regionalize the team. It has successfully done both. It has not been some conspiracy by the Bills brass or the Wilson family to dip their toe in the water and ultimately relocate. RW has voted for a team to relocate as many times as I have. The Bills brass and the Wilson family want nothing more than the team to remain and they have people that will do that.

The Toronto series was the creative solution to the ever changing financial landscape of the NFL.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Mary Owen has been a Bills executive for years (and she is still young). She is the one member of the Wilson family that has taken an active role in the business. Mary is also in the stadium search committee. She (like Mary Wilson) has absolutely ZERO interest in the team leaving WNY.

i really appreciate your comments and insight kirby.. gives me a confident feeling that they are staying..

i really appreciate your comments and insight kirby.. gives me a confident feeling that they are staying..

No problem!! This is the most important issue in franchise history without question. I feel a certain obligation to clarify things if I can. If I do not know I try to stay out of it to avoid more speculation. If I know something, I chime in.

This is the kind of thing that inspired the take a deep breath thread. Her job is to work on special projects and maximize revenue. The Toronto series was started for 2 reasons: to offset the non shared revenue that you cannot generate at RWS and to further regionalize the team. It has successfully done both. It has not been some conspiracy by the Bills brass or the Wilson family to dip their toe in the water and ultimately relocate. RW has voted for a team to relocate as many times as I have. The Bills brass and the Wilson family want nothing more than the team to remain and they have people that will do that.

The Toronto series was the creative solution to the ever changing financial landscape of the NFL.

Since that solution failed (and I don't think anyone can characterize it otherwise), do you have any idea what other kinds of inroads can be made to that market? The NF stadium idea seems to be one...

Since that solution failed (and I don't think anyone can characterize it otherwise), do you have any idea what other kinds of inroads can be made to that market? The NF stadium idea seems to be one...

I think that NF is an option. I think that the expansion of the fan base has certainly taken place. The number of ST from Southern Ontario is way up.

The extra revenue they will probably have to do without until the new stadium is built. Some of these improvements to the stadium will allow for increased sponsorship dollars to off set it somewhat. It should increase in stadium sales as well which will help.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

No problem!! This is the most important issue in franchise history without question. I feel a certain obligation to clarify things if I can. If I do not know I try to stay out of it to avoid more speculation. If I know something, I chime in.

i agree, and have so many have said, will be glad when it is over.. having this cloud hanging over us all for so long, be done.. next week should be interesting..

i agree, and have so many have said, will be glad when it is over.. having this cloud hanging over us all for so long, be done.. next week should be interesting..

I wonder how much we will find out next week? Initial bids are due by Tues and they are picking the finalists as per JW. Will they release those names or will the info "leak"?

The Toronto group doesn't have the money to outbid Pegula.

In breaking the news last Friday that the Toronto trio have roughly equal one-third investment stakes in their bid, I reported that Bon Jovi “is worth much more than has been reported or is believed by financial experts, and similarly is more cash flush than people realize.”

Two other sources have backed that up.

One claims Bon Jovi’s net worth instead of being $300 million, as Forbes reported last year, actually is closer to $500 million, And that Tanenbaum is worth considerably more than the $1.2 billion attributed to him last fall by Canadian Business magazine; he’s worth closer to $2 billion, the source says.

What’s more, the Rogers family finances are even more complicated than we reported last week. Edward, his three sisters and mother do not alone control their reported $7.6-billion fortune. Instead a trust oversees it, which includes Toronto business people. Sizeable chunks of cash outlays must be approved by that trust. Which might well be why Edward could not bid alone.

So, the big question: Does the trio have the money to win the bid?

Yes, sources say, up to and probably a bit over a $1-billion sale price.

But at some point soon thereafter, especially if the sale price approaches $1.5 billion, they’ll be out.

So much for the team being worth 2x as much in Toronto. Perhaps people in this thread don't understand how the NFL revenue system works?

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/where-things-stand-with-the-toronto-group-bidding-on-the-buffalo-bills-answers-to-5-vital-questions-via-sources/

I wonder how much we will find out next week? Initial bids are due by Tues and they are picking the finalists as per JW. Will they release those names or will the info "leak"?

i am hoping for "leaks".. seems all interested bidders are abiding by the rules as far as commenting , etc.. but somehow, stuff should come out..

The Toronto group doesn't have the money to outbid Pegula.

[/size][/font][/color]

So much for the team being worth 2x as much in Toronto. Perhaps people in this thread don't understand how the NFL revenue system works?

http://blogs.canoe.c...ns-via-sources/

I saw that too... it's an important point: nobody is getting into a crazy bidding war with Pegula over the BUFFALO Bills. Now if they could be moved it might be different, but there is a ceiling on how much this team is worth in WNY.

I saw that too... it's an important point: nobody is getting into a crazy bidding war with Pegula over the BUFFALO Bills. Now if they could be moved it might be different, but there is a ceiling on how much this team is worth in WNY.

No one is getting into a crazy bidding war, period. Even if you wanted to move the team to LA you wouldn't bid significantly over everyone else. It would cost at least another $1 billion to move the team, which subtracts from it's value in LA.

That's why no one paid $800 million for the Jags even though they would be worth more in LA.

I think that NF is an option. I think that the expansion of the fan base has certainly taken place. The number of ST from Southern Ontario is way up.

The extra revenue they will probably have to do without until the new stadium is built. Some of these improvements to the stadium will allow for increased sponsorship dollars to off set it somewhat. It should increase in stadium sales as well which will help.

NF is not an option. There is a major security concern there.