Training Camp 2014...Tweets from all sources, Week 1

Well, they did sniff playoffs last year with a despite a Bills Seahawks Raiders castoff as a QB ... :)

I think too much is being made of EJ's quotes that it was a "good" day. He's still essentially a rookie in terms of games and practice time, and his personality is generally positive and optimistic. Perhaps he simply means he got "good" work in today; that's all I took from it.

Dude just needs more and more reps.

That was my take as well

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need to chime in here. i don't have it in for EJ. i just don't see a polished quarterback or, for that matter, a lot of improvement from last year.

he still misses short throws over the middle. he still seems to hold the ball for way too long. some of the nice throws he's made in camp have been against air. and, give me some credit, i asked questions today about EJ's performance to back up what i saw.

EJ called it a "good day."

Marrone didn't. And he expressed concern over EJ tucking the ball and scrambling during 7-on-7 drills.

does it mean EJ won't get better as camp progresses? no.

but, i had much of the exact same concerns a year ago. even after the Indy game when some tabbed EJ as having shown signs of arrival. and i got rapped for the mere suggesting that I would have preferred EJ led the touchdown drive against the Colts starters and not the second-stringers late in the second quarter.

i don't base this on subjectivity. i base my observations on what i've seen. and i must admit, i think i've watched all but 5 or 6 of Bills practices and minicamps that are open to the media since EJ was drafted. i'm not sure i'm seeing a lot of progression here.

my two cents.

jw

Cheers. Appreciate you taking the time.

jw, do you disagree with my take elaborated above?

the ever positive thing. i think he needs to take more of a leadership role and be more assertive. not sure who he's trying to please with these all's good comments. they don't reflect well upon him, in my opinion. i'm told even Tuel expressed disappointment today in the offense's production. if not Tuel, why not EJ.

too often, and this is something i failed to mention in the story i wrote today, EJ is starting to get that hang-dog look after a bad throw. that's a discouraging sight from a supposed leader, and people see that, and it has an effect on morale, no?

as for some people losing respect for me because i just so happened to defend a friend of mine that they don't like, well, nertz. i didn't defend Tim because he was a friend, i defended him because he did his job. not sure why EJ needed to seek justification by asking a question to a throw-away question.

jw

too often, and this is something i failed to mention in the story i wrote today, EJ is starting to get that hang-dog look after a bad throw. that's a discouraging sight from a supposed leader, and people see that, and it has an effect on morale, no?

This was one of my biggest issues with Losman. Body language is critical for any leader.

and, if EJ succeeds, good for him, and good for the Bills and good for Bills fans. people have proven me wrong before. i will be again. bank on it.

i'm merely expressing my own perspective based on what i've seen.

jw

this is all fine, JW, but it bothers me when because of a headline or whatever it gets twisted into "Marrone and EJ disagreed." I don't think that's fair to say unless one party has been asked if they disagree with the other.

i dunno. headline that moved on the AP wire said the two "differed," not disagreed. they did differ. one said one thing about the performance the other said another. one of the two were wrong, i believe.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

This was one of my biggest issues with Losman. Body language is critical for any leader.

I presume you're not referring to the body language the Bickering Bills leader Jim Kelly exhibited now and then, or Tom Bradys whining, or Philip Rivers' awesome body language, or Drew Brees' body language while he was still figuring out how to play in this league. You know, because leadership and "having 'it'" and all, right?

I presume you're not referring to the body language the Bickering Bills leader Jim Kelly exhibited now and then, or Tom Bradys whining, or Philip Rivers' awesome body language, or Drew Brees' body language while he was still figuring out how to play in this league. You know, because leadership and "having 'it'" and all, right?

Mountains out of molehills.

If the success of this team comes down to EJ's body language I'll eat my hat.

let's hear what Doug Whaley had to say before camp opened when discussing EJ:

"By the time we leave training camp, you should see a guy that's standing tall in the huddle and quick and decisive with his decision-making."

that's all well and good, and also an indication of qualities EJ currently doesn't possess on a day-to-day basis.

no one said that about Kelly, or Brady or Rivers or Brees, as far as I know. Flutie, neither.

jw

let's hear what Doug Whaley had to say before camp opened when discussing EJ:

"By the time we leave training camp, you should see a guy that's standing tall in the huddle and quick and decisive with his decision-making."

that's all well and good, and also an indication of qualities EJ currently doesn't possess on a day-to-day basis.

no one said that about Kelly, or Brady or Rivers or Brees, as far as I know. Flutie, neither.

jw

JW, are you sure no one said that about Brees? He had some dark, dark moments in SD before the light went on....

And that's all good, JW. I really don't mean to pick a fight. I do, however, think that it's easy for those of us here who aren't seeing a whole lot to form a narrative based on very little besides the headlines. Those narratives usually dovetail pretty well with wherever the team is at.

I guarantee you that if the team becomes a winner, you're going to see more than one lazily written article about how EJ is even keeled and refreshingly positive. If they keep losing, it'll be reasonable to say that he is too easily satisfied with mediocrity. And that'll be even if he keeps a team in the game a la Atlanta last year and the team gives it away.

JW, are you sure no one said that about Brees? He had some dark, dark moments in SD before the light went on....

They absolutely said it about Brees. Nobody said it about Brady because he was a 6th round pick that no one expected to see play. Same goes for Flutie.

And let's not forget when Thurman Thomas said quarterback was the weakest position on the team. So, Kelly had a few dark moments as well.

the ever positive thing. i think he needs to take more of a leadership role and be more assertive. not sure who he's trying to please with these all's good comments. they don't reflect well upon him, in my opinion. i'm told even Tuel expressed disappointment today in the offense's production. if not Tuel, why not EJ.

as for some people losing respect for me because i just so happened to defend a friend of mine that they don't like, well, nertz. i didn't defend Tim because he was a friend, i defended him because he did his job. not sure why EJ needed to seek justification by asking a question to a throw-away question.

jw

I would prefer that EJ not care what Tim Graham thinks.....because I certainly dont

Certainly. In a real game situation we will be pounding the rock so hard it will open up so much in the passing game. Theoretically.

Yes, theoretically it is possible. I have no idea what Hackett will do with the offense, and that makes me a bit nervous.

It is amazing how wins and losses will affect a QB's "body language"

OK look a couple of things....

- First...thanks for stopping by John Warrow......I dont understand how your tweets indicate a completely negative (and soley focused on EJ) nature when everyone else around you were not overly critical but that is your perogative....it just makes it hard to take your tweets seriously when they dont match what everyone else is saying (but that is one of the real issues with training camp reports....people see what they want to see)...you see no progression....I have seen several reports of improved footwork and movement......and a bunch of good mixed with bad. I still appreciate the reports you give so please keep them coming.

- We are talking about the 1st week of camp.......the starting LT is out......sounds like the DL is manhandling the OL which isnt necessarily a bad thing.......

- The defense is always ahead of the offense to start......

- The good news is it looks like the connection from EJ to Sammy Watkins is starting to form......

We need Cordy Glenn back

Coming from a glass is half empty guy where our QB situation is, these are still the same traits and criticisms that dogged him coming out of FSU.

At a certain point you want to see tangible signs of improvement. Didn't he spend some time with his QB guru in the spring? Didn't he have camp with his WRs?

I am not saying everyone is perfect. Far from it. But with Losman, it seemed like he would have that negative body language constantly. It's something that I think even he would agree he needed to improve on.

I just watched EJs post "game press moment " after reading this thread among others all day and having a fluctuating emotional spectrum checked .

I feel that EJ 's mentality, and perspective is just fine.

Even though he threw some junk or stewed on some errors . His closing words were enough for me to think that he is aiming in the direction and at the correct targets .

I hope with enough reps he is able to execute all he is asked to do. Even under duress .

May i say its still early for him IMHO. He is definitely a project still.

But may i suggest the glass approaching half full and not showiing signs of leaking from cracks yet.

still early.

Mister Wawrow is pointing out some continuity from last years bad habits or trends. Cant argue as i wasnt there . But Manuels post practice presser sounded to me , a much wiser man than last year working theTiller decently for the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by 3rdand12