How to instantly make the Bills worth more than $1B--Forbes

Forbes is terrible at valuation of professional sports franchises. They've been dramatically low for the past decade, so it makes complete sense that a reporter from Forbes would suggest something so utterly ridiculous. The New York Bills? Really?

I'd love to be in the room to see Mara and Johnson laugh when someone proposes that.

What a silly article. Lets call 'em the Binghamton Bills or the Boomtown Bills , nickname 'em the BBs and claim the entire state. At least the name has some potential. Geez.

Or just call them "Da Bills" or "he hate me" take the whole geo thing out of it...

Can we get a buyer please and get on with it already?

Edited by 8and8Forever

I know a good way to make the Bills worth more than $1 billion. Do nothing because they are already worth that much.

And that's a ridiculous idea to change the name. The "Bills" only makes sense because of Buffalo Bill. Wtf is a "New York Bill"? Also, many of us in wny don't want anything to do with NYC or NY state. We get the shaft because all of our tax money goes to NYC. If anything we should break away from NY, not adopt it as our name.

He is not off base, but it would make more sense to name them the Niagara Frontier Bills. That said, I will stick with Buffalo. It is very clear that we will probably see the Ralph Wilson Stadium name change. They can name the Field after him- I foresee something like Ralph Wilson Field at First Niagara Stadium or something like that.

They could rename the team, "The New York Bills of Buffalo" but I doubt if that would draw any new fans. New Yorkers will still root for the Giants or Jets.

They could go whole hog and just rename the team, "The New York Bills" but I don't think even that name would attract a lot of fans outside of WNY - and would probably lose a few fans within the region.

I really don't see a good way use naming options to attract fans from the other half of the state. Whether or not they play in Jersey, New Yorkers will remain loyal to the Giants and Jets.

Regardless of the name, as long as the team plays in Buffalo, it will be viewed as Buffalo's team, not New York's.

The best we can hope for, in terms of attracting fans, is more localized regionalization. But the "Niagara Frontier Bills" and other proposed name changes are rather inelegant.

I am not sure we can do much to capture the NY, NY market but certainly CNY and Albany regions if marketed more as a total New York theme. If we start winning and Jets and Giants slide we may even capture NY as the the Arm Pit of New York theme can be recanted over and over. Upstate New York Bills or something in that vain. I also feel a relocation between Rochester and Buffalo makes sense as it brings in more of the CNY market and still only 4 hours from albany/bingmhamton and such.

While changing the name seems outright stupid to me at this point in time, some marketing by the Bills might be a better move.

Something like New York's only real team, the New York, Buffalo Bills! As our home stadium isn't in a different state, and we don't call New Jersey home.

Seacaucus :sick: is right next to them.

Changing the team will not make them more profitable. I doubt the Arizona coyotes are going to see much of an increase in the margins just because it's now Arizona instead of phoenix.

Getting money for stadium sponsors is a different story.

How 'bout The Buffalo Redskins! :w00t:

I think the buffalo carcasses would be more accurate.

Anything but Buffalo Bills negates the duality and wordplay of the name based on history's William F. Cody.

The only other sensible regionalized name with the same 'punnish' quality (including the word 'Bills') would be: Niagara Electric Bills.

A better question would be, would you be ok with a name change (complete overhaul) to keep the franchise in WNY?

A better question would be, would you be ok with a name change (complete overhaul) to keep the franchise in WNY?

rebrand the team? if you build a big expensive stadium and overcharge for everything, make it impersonal and play it off similar to what is done here with the Panthers - well, I'd probably lose a lot of interest.

I like the Bills because of who they are, what they embody. If they find great success I might also be turned off - even if they remain the same. I can't image being a Pats fan prior to 2001 and now looking around everywhere and seeing D'bag Pats fans all over.

I know a good way to make the Bills worth more than $1 billion. Do nothing because they are already worth that much.

And that's a ridiculous idea to change the name. The "Bills" only makes sense because of Buffalo Bill. Wtf is a "New York Bill"? Also, many of us in wny don't want anything to do with NYC or NY state. We get the shaft because all of our tax money goes to NYC. If anything we should break away from NY, not adopt it as our name.

Don't perpetuate the myth. NYC is the economic engine of the state, and ends up outlaying more tax dollars than it receives. It's been studied and proven so. It's actually Upstate that mooches. There are other complaints to make about sharing a state with NYC (example: business and wall street's corrupting influence on state politics) but the tax cliche you're repeating is wrong.