Marijuna related health problems on the rise in US

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be lost? I can answer that question. I’m a middle-aged non-stoner who’s been living in a marijuana-legal state for two years. Here is what’s lost when pot goes legal: fear and destruction. Fear of the unknown, fear of skyrocketing use rates, fear of reefer madness. Here in Washington, as in Colorado, we’ve stopped destroying the lives of people who possess a drug that’s less harmful than alcohol. What we’ve gained are new opportunities for responsibility, honesty, and freedom.

What would be lost? I can answer that question. I’m a middle-aged non-stoner who’s been living in a marijuana-legal state for two years. Here is what’s lost when pot goes legal: fear and destruction. Fear of the unknown, fear of skyrocketing use rates, fear of reefer madness. Here in Washington, as in Colorado, we’ve stopped destroying the lives of people who possess a drug that’s less harmful than alcohol. What we’ve gained are new opportunities for responsibility, honesty, and freedom.

So the only upside is less people in jail? I agree that's an upside but that's all he has?

So the only upside is less people in jail? I agree that's an upside but that's all he has?

It's a huge upside.

But not the only thing. Less organized crime profits--I know some of you just think they will sell illegal shoes or something instead.

It also relieves a huge strain upon the people that get charged and convicted of these non-victim crimes.

What do you suppose is the long term economic impact on a person caught with weed? Suppose they just get caught as a young adult. What does that do to their career and earning potential?

It's a huge upside.

But not the only thing. Less organized crime profits--I know some of you just think they will sell illegal shoes or something instead.

It also relieves a huge strain upon the people that get charged and convicted of these non-victim crimes.

What do you suppose is the long term economic impact on a person caught with weed? Suppose they just get caught as a young adult. What does that do to their career and earning potential?

That depends. Caught with a little on him? Not much. Caught with a pound with an intent to distribute? I bet his career/earning potential was already at zero.

It's a huge upside.

Their earnings potential goes to someone who isn't a stoner.

And sure, organized crime is just going to go away because we've legalized pot. :lol:

Their earnings potential goes to someone who isn't a stoner.

And sure, organized crime is just going to go away because we've legalized pot. :lol:

Wait a second, didn't you use to be a stoner? You reformed, right?

And that's stupid to say because it wouldn't go away it's ok to still have government policy that helps them.

Wait a second, didn't you use to be a stoner? You reformed, right?

And that's stupid to say because it wouldn't go away it's ok to still have government policy that helps them.

Are you really arguing that people stupid enough to get in serious trouble with the law over marijuana are also smart enough to have great potential earnings? Edited by FireChan