Watkins on chemistry with Manuel

covac23

I think Watkins should move in with Manuel. These guys need to be joined at the hip and on the same page if they want to be successful. Their careers are going to be tied together so EJ better take this guy under his wing because he is going to be his top weapon hopefully for years to come. Hopefully they can figure it out in training camp

I guess that's one theory #chemistry

Anything for the playoffs, I guess.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read about the steps of the receivers and E.J. ,I almost puked. E.J. and Sammy saying their amount of steps have to be right on for a completion. Sounds like a QB making excuses for lack of accuracy. Cmon teams with press coverage can mess up a receivers steps. Broken plays and Blitzes will mess with steps. Timing is real important ,but you need to see the open receiver and hit him. Field vision,hitting the open receiver ,touch and coordination would help bigtime.

When I read about the steps of the receivers and E.J. ,I almost puked. E.J. and Sammy saying their amount of steps have to be right on for a completion. Sounds like a QB making excuses for lack of accuracy. Cmon teams with press coverage can mess up a receivers steps. Broken plays and Blitzes will mess with steps. Timing is real important ,but you need to see the open receiver and hit him. Field vision,hitting the open receiver ,touch and coordination would help bigtime.

I think you're reading into it too much. Even timing routes have a delay with a defender so they are just getting accustom to each other.

Sammy isn't insulting EJ, he's saying that they need to build a trust. He needs to convince EJ that he can throw the ball to him whenever, where ever. If you would like an example of this, just watch Fitz and SJ. Except this current duo has the potential for 1500 yards and 10 touchdowns a year.

No we don't. They don't have chemistry now so they never will. EJ didn't perform at hall of fame level in 10 games so he a bust. Sammy dropped a pass in OTA's so he was a reach pick and a waste of 6 #1 picks.

LMFAO!!! So true, what was I thinking???

I just wanted to fill everyone in... EJ and I still haven't gotten on the same page either.... Of course, every effort to obtain a playbook has been met with hang up after hang up... My only option is to buy CJ's iPad and type in the password '1 2 3 4"

Edited by CountryCletus

i'm still not entirely sure i believe wr/qb chemistry is a real thing and not just an nfl media buzz word. if a qb and wr are independently good at football and have mastered the same playbook (and its associated reads) then i don't understand how 'chemistry' plays into their passing relationship -- the passes should work. perhaps what the nfl media is trying to describe is the process of the wr earning the trust/confidence of the qb?

i'm still not entirely sure i believe wr/qb chemistry is a real thing and not just an nfl media buzz word. if a qb and wr are independently good at football and have mastered the same playbook (and its associated reads) then i don't understand how 'chemistry' plays into their passing relationship -- the passes should work. perhaps what the nfl media is trying to describe is the process of the wr earning the trust/confidence of the qb?

It's similar but not exactly the same as trust. Look at a more "chemistry" sport like basketball. When two guys have played with each other a while, they can throw each other no look alley oops and stuff. When they are getting used to each other, some passes are a little off.

It's trust, but also familiarity.

http://profootballta...rk-in-progress/

My biggest takeaway from the article: "But at the same time, I could be wide open, and if he don't feel it, or if I run it a different type of way, he won't throw the ball."

Thoughts?

It takes time to get on the same page, if this happens during the season then we have problems.

To put it in layman's terms, I can be horny but if I say the wrong thing or my wife's not feeling it, no sex.

At least ej and Sammy can make progress.

My wife started lifting weights and lets just say things have improved tremendously ... just letting ya know :flirt:

It's similar but not exactly the same as trust. Look at a more "chemistry" sport like basketball. When two guys have played with each other a while, they can throw each other no look alley oops and stuff. When they are getting used to each other, some passes are a little off.

well said

this makes sense, but i remain unconvinced chemistry applies to qb/wr. basketball is a sport of, for lack of a better word, frequent free-styling; players are often off-playbook in a way that football players very rarely are, like in the no-look ally-oop play that you described. you have convinced me that chemistry applies in off-playbook situations, where familiarity may be important, but in football almost all plays are so scripted (w/ the possible exception of the occasional scramble, in which perhaps familiarity becomes a factor) that familiarity with the playbook should tell the qb/wr everything they need to know, and familiarity with each other brings no new information to the table.

this makes sense, but i remain unconvinced chemistry applies to qb/wr. basketball is a sport of, for lack of a better word, frequent free-styling; players are often off-playbook in a way that football players very rarely are, like in the no-look ally-oop play that you described. you have convinced me that chemistry applies in off-playbook situations, where familiarity may be important, but in football almost all plays are so scripted (w/ the possible exception of the occasional scramble, in which perhaps familiarity becomes a factor) that familiarity with the playbook should tell the qb/wr everything they need to know, and familiarity with each other brings no new information to the table.

Chemistry between a QB and receiver is a very real thing even though set plays are scripted as you point out. Receivers come in and out of their breaks differently for starters and I doubt EJ has thrown to a receiver that gets in and out of breaks as quickly as Watkins up to this point. Secondly, the routes that Woods and Watkins run are different and Manuel may feel more comfortable with a more familiar teammate at this point. Perhaps "chemistry" is the wrong word, but there have always been different comfort levels between QBs and their receivers. Watkins was most likely referring to that comfort level not being there yet as it's something only reps and built up trust can rectify.

GO BILLS!!!

My July resolution is to watch the tapes from the 2013 season.

Either way; looking back on memory I see EJ Manuel being very limited in his vision. It took a while in some games for him to get in sync with SJ13, especially after Manuel came back. Graham got better as a route runner but Manuel could not find him. Robert Woods should be doing much better this year hitting those routes but in 2013 he went awry a few times and found himself out of position when it mattered.

If Manuel can relax in the pocket I believe these issues can be corrected. It may not be a confidence issue but it is likely a comfort issue.

If these issues cannot be corrected for 2014 I expect Watkins to be running a lot of sprints with empty hands on Sunday.