Will the Wilson trust give a stay at home discount?

bigbill

Just wondering if you think the Wilson trust is able or willing to give a stay at home discount?

If there are two offers and one is $100,000,000 less, would the Trust take the lessor offer if it keeps the bills in Buffalo?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also keep in mind that the sale is also subject to review and approval by the NFL. While there may be some tolerance for a small discount that keeps the Bills in Buffalo I do not think the NFL allows for anything that has a "wow" assigned to it. The value of all teams rises if the Bills fetch a significant premium.

The basic answer is yes, however associated with that answer is risk. If the highest bidder wants to relocate the team it has to go to NFL owners for approval.which creates risk. I would believe like any business transaction risk is associated with value. The NFL has made it clear that the buyer needs to be committed to WNY. So a local bidder is clearly the safer choice. Out of town suitor will clearly have huge hurdles to overcome if he/she wants to move the team.

Also keep in mind that the sale is also subject to review and approval by the NFL. While there may be some tolerance for a small discount that keeps the Bills in Buffalo I do not think the NFL allows for anything that has a "wow" assigned to it. The value of all teams rises if the Bills fetch a significant premium.

Well stated.

Most would agree. very wealthy people do not get that way by giving money away.

Now ( Ralph's) philanthropy is an entirely different thing than propping up a declining economy because of decades of government mismanagement.

A 100M discount that guarantees what past 2020? It's really hard to see that happening. Why should anyone prop up an area known first and foremost for outrageous taxes? That produces a business climate that keeps business away. But, yes I do understand the health care boom in WNY. But, why is that? An aging population where the cost can easily be passed on to the consumer. because other than relocating what are the choices? So they will come and make their margins easily.

Every fan should be aware (and probably are) that tickets, everything will rise big time when a new owner pulls into town. because again he won't be doing this for charity. having a grade A, A-hole like Trump will make the transition even more painful. But him ending up the owner is probably in the noise range.

I hope WNY can absorb these costs, and get ready for another big hit in the wallet if a new stadium is ever built.

As others have stated, we do not know the terms of the trust. And we may never know.

Typically the trustee would be required to take the largest offer and would be monitored by the state the trust was setup in (generally the state where the person lived).

However, the sale of a billion dollar NFL team by a trust is hardly a typical situation.

Just wondering if you think the Wilson trust is able or willing to give a stay at home discount?

If there are two offers and one is $100,000,000 less, would the Trust take the lessor offer if it keeps the bills in Buffalo?

Depends...the trust may have specific terms that consider valuation of the franchise and valuation of the bid. For example, the trust may say that any bid that promises to pay at least a certain amount for the team AND promises to keep the team in WNY for X number of years shall be considered a more valuable bid than one that does not promise to keep the team in Buffalo, regardless of the de facto number.

No

Without knowing the terms of the trust, this is a meaningless answer.

I am with you

Shocking.

I do not believe the NFL votes on the trust's decision really other than to vote on the owner selected.

That is my understanding as well - that the owners vote on the bidder and not the transaction.

Care to elaborate?

Ralph was cheap?

Care to elaborate?

They just didn't seem to leave that much on the table. The outsourcing of games to Toronto for $78 Million over (5 years?) is the best example. If they did that, can we really expect them to leave $100,000,000 + on the table at sale-time? Not that I would expect that from anyone anyways. That is a lot of money.

They just didn't seem to leave that much on the table. The outsourcing of games to Toronto for $78 Million over (5 years?) is the best example. If they did that, can we really expect them to leave $100,000,000 + on the table at sale-time? Not that I would expect that from anyone anyways. That is a lot of money.

Trying to get a competitive advantage while still operating in Buffalo? Why did he refuse to sell the naming rights to the stadium?

I don't know more than anyone else, but, I wouldn't put it past Ralph to have some special instructions in the trust. His family will reap the rewards and they'll be financially set. They recently sold 4 pieces of art from Ralph's collection that brought in $35M. Knowing how well off they would be perhaps Ralph and his lawyers came up with something to allow the team to stay. We'll see...

Outside of one flirtation that I remember with Seattle Ralph never leveraged moving to get more from the county/state. He seemed to be a pragmatic man.