Unstoppable CJ

i being up the injuries because it's clearly obvious that the CJ backers use that as an excuse as to why he doesn't produce more. "Given the opportunities, given the right supporting cast, barring any injury, CJ would be a monster" you hear this kind of crap all the time. Leading rushers in the league suffer the same issues but consistently lead the lead in yards and TDs. They also move the chains on consistent basis'.

It seems to me that you are only really arguing with a select few people. I think that most of us Spiller fans realize now that he is not an every down back and won't become the league leading RB that his amazing talents have hinted at(due to all of the factors mentioned throughout this thread). There is a big difference I think in arguing against the concept that "Spiller is a great RB" and that of "Spiller can be a great complimentary RB and an asset to the team".

That said, I am personally hopeful that we get one year where everything clicks for him and he is consistently awesome....but I'm not holding my breath.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you said this I had to look up his Wonderlic score. 10. McKelvin got a 13.

In my opinion, running back is a position where you do not need to be smart. It's a position that relies heavily on speed, power, and instinct. Not intelligence.

Has Spiller lived up to his draft pick?

Spiller did not draft himself, so it is unfair to put that on him. But I have been of the mindset from the moment they drafted him that high it was a mistake. Now that he is on the team though, I hope the Bills somehow find a way to use him where he can be productive most of the time instead of a all or nothing back.

It seems to me that you are only really arguing with a select few people. I think that most of us Spiller fans realize now that he is not an every down back and won't become the league leading RB that his amazing talents have hinted at(due to all of the factors mentioned throughout this thread). There is a big difference I think in arguing against the concept that "Spiller is a great RB" and that of "Spiller can be a great complimentary RB and an asset to the team".

That said, I am personally hopeful that we get one year where everything clicks for him and he is consistently awesome....but I'm not holding my breath.

unfortunately you already got that season in 2012. That was his best ever and probably will be.

But those are my opinions. I keep saying well see by week 8. Well know by then. I'm guessing well all know his future with the Bills being here or not by then.

I'm saying Brown takes over the starting job by then. Some people ask why I see this potential in him. It's not about the potential I see. It's the potential the coaches see. They obviously wanted him here. They traded for him. They informed is they wanted him last year. He is the type of back the Doug's want on this team. CJ has disappointed when they tried to feed him the ball last year.

I'll leave you all with this and I'm done with this thread.

The fact comes down to it that people "hope" he can be an asset. The fact is he's not. Or at least hasn't been. Well, except that 25% of his career. Which we can all agree that 25% is not a good number to have.

I used to love him. I really did. I used to think the same way you all are. Until I sat back and thought about it. I continually had to make excuses for why he's not doing it. Even his "great" year, wasn't that great. Was barely good. He was a top 5 RB that year. But that's it. Hasn't done it before, or since.

... Has Spiller lived up to his draft pick?

This is an artificial construct.

But, given that he was drafted to be a big play threat, one could argue that he has lived up to that. It's also easy to understand why some would think he hasn't lived up to it at all. He's a piece to a puzzle, not a player you build a team around. Great teams aren't built around running backs anyway, so I'm not sure what people expected in the first place.

GO BILLS!!!

... But those are my opinions. I keep saying well see by week 8. Well know by then. I'm guessing well all know his future with the Bills being here or not by then.

I'm saying Brown takes over the starting job by then. Some people ask why I see this potential in him. It's not about the potential I see. It's the potential the coaches see. They obviously wanted him here. They traded for him. They informed is they wanted him last year. He is the type of back the Doug's want on this team. CJ has disappointed when they tried to feed him the ball last year. ...

Why wait until week 8?

GO BILLS!!!

Which if the following options has the better odds:

1.) Bills play two playoff games

2.) Spiller has 1400 total offensive yards and 10 TD's...

I suppose I'd have to go with #2. If that happens it means the Bills have had a productive season which may lead to #1 coming true.

Which if the following options has the better odds:

1.) Bills play two playoff games

2.) Spiller has 1400 total offensive yards and 10 TD's...

The Bills got 2395 yards from scrimmage out of the Spiller/Jackson combo last. That is fantastic production from the RB position. 1400 yards and 10 TDs in a platoon system where Freddy gets the goal line carries, might be pushing it. But if Spiller stays healthy and regains the speed and quickness he lost last year, I'd say he's a cinch, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

cool, but i should have had all you had to give, once you saw i was right about SJ, remember when last summer i said he wouldnt even make the team this year???? hmmmmm?

i never said he wouldn't be on the team. At least I never meant it to be like that. I simply said he was better than you made him out to be. He had a horrible year this past year. I'll give you that. And he seemed like more of a distraction than ever before. Well see how he does in San Fran.

In the meantime. Grats. You were right.

Edited by mrags

cool, but i should have had all you had to give, once you saw i was right about SJ, remember when last summer i said he wouldnt even make the team this year???? hmmmmm?

One (I, for one) might argue that there is a difference between "being traded" and "not making the team." Hmmmmmm???

i being up the injuries because it's clearly obvious that the CJ backers use that as an excuse as to why he doesn't produce more. "Given the opportunities, given the right supporting cast, barring any injury, CJ would be a monster" you hear this kind of crap all the time. Leading rushers in the league suffer the same issues but consistently lead the lead in yards and TDs. They also move the chains on consistent basis'.

So what is the excuse for Lynch? He just decided to play better in Seattle?

http://www.nfl.com/p...2495663/profile

Or is opportunity, supporting cast, barring injury, actually a real thing?

Edited by What a Tuel

Lynch was great on the Bills. His problems were never on the field. His departure had nothing to do with performance.

He does comparably better on Seattle though. He was great on the Bills though. I am just curious what the reasoning behind the increase in performance is, if those reasons are just excuses?

He's on a far better team. It's a hell of a lot easier to establish a running game when you have a defense that actually does its job. Plus, he matured. He's a better player now, in my opinion. I think the change in scenery did wonders for Lynch. I, personally, couldn't be happier for the guy. He was obviously unhappy in Buffalo, but he still played his ass off. Had he stayed in Buffalo, I believe he would have had about 1,000 yards/year; but nothing like the stats he has in Seattle.

He's on a far better team. It's a hell of a lot easier to establish a running game when you have a defense that actually does its job. Plus, he matured. He's a better player now, in my opinion. I think the change in scenery did wonders for Lynch. I, personally, couldn't be happier for the guy. He was obviously unhappy in Buffalo, but he still played his ass off. Had he stayed in Buffalo, I believe he would have had about 1,000 yards/year; but nothing like the stats he has in Seattle.

I agree completely. So it isn't as black and white as this guy sucks or this guy is great. There are a whole lot of factors that contribute to a players ability to play. Those aren't excuses, those are real things that affect players, they aren't robots with set skill levels. That's all Im saying.

It's like every time I think in out, they suck me back in.

Are you really trying to compare CJ Spiller who's had 1 season out of 4 over 1,000 yards and never eclipsed the 10 TD mark... With Lynch who's had 5 years out of 7 with over 1,000 yards rushing and 3 years with over 10 TDs?

He's had 3 seasons just as good or better than CJs 1.

Really? You've got to be kidding me.

Edited by mrags

Lynch was great on the Bills. His problems were never on the field. His departure had nothing to do with performance.

I think your memory may be eluding you. Lynch was never "great" on the bills. He was below average in fact, and in his last year here Jackson was clearly the better back. His production over the past three years in Seattle has been far better than any year he spent in Buffalo. When on the Bills lynch was an unmotivated, unhappy, underperforming player.

That question relates solely to assessing management and has nothing to do with Spiller as a player.

Thank you Thank you .

Most important for perspective . Simply said and clearly spoken Dibs. Thats two in a row for ya :thumbsup:

In my opinion, running back is a position where you do not need to be smart. It's a position that relies heavily on speed, power, and instinct. Not intelligence.

Spiller did not draft himself, so it is unfair to put that on him. But I have been of the mindset from the moment they drafted him that high it was a mistake. Now that he is on the team though, I hope the Bills somehow find a way to use him where he can be productive most of the time instead of a all or nothing back.

yet another luminescent post.

I hope so to. It will affect my consideration of Hackett this year.

I agree completely. So it isn't as black and white as this guy sucks or this guy is great. There are a whole lot of factors that contribute to a players ability to play. Those aren't excuses, those are real things that affect players, they aren't robots with set skill levels. That's all Im saying.

Valid point . Situation is a key factor. whether it be coaching or surrounding players or a bunch of other influencing factors define an individual player . Especialy when measuring with statistics .

I think your memory may be eluding you. Lynch was never "great" on the bills. He was below average in fact, and in his last year here Jackson was clearly the better back. His production over the past three years in Seattle has been far better than any year he spent in Buffalo. When on the Bills lynch was an unmotivated, unhappy, underperforming player.

Yep . He was one unhappy skittle

It's like every time I think in out, they suck me back in.

Are you really trying to compare CJ Spiller who's had 1 season out of 4 over 1,000 yards and never eclipsed the 10 TD mark... With Lynch who's had 5 years out of 7 with over 1,000 yards rushing and 3 years with over 10 TDs?

He's had 3 seasons just as good or better than CJs 1.

Really? You've got to be kidding me.

I wasn't comparing anybody to anybody. That's all you buddy.

The rest of us already hashed this out, but what do you think is the reason Lynch does better in Seattle? Do you think those reasons if used in Buffalo, were just excuses? And if so, then aren't "excuses" valid points as to why a player isn't performing to expectations, seeing as how Lynch does better in Seattle?

Edited by What a Tuel

I wasn't comparing anybody to anybody. That's all you buddy.

The rest of us already hashed this out, but what do you think is the reason Lynch does better in Seattle? Do you think those reasons if used in Buffalo, were just excuses? And if so, then aren't "excuses" valid points as to why a player isn't performing to expectations, seeing as how Lynch does better in Seattle?

no excuses. He's just good and got better. CJ was bad, got lucky, then back to bad again.

In 3 years as a Bill, Lynch has almost the same yardage as CJ after 4 years. And more TDs.

Keep grasping