What worries me with Hackett

I'm sure Hackett works as hard as anyone, and that his wealth of knowledge and passion will be valuable assets to the Bills O this year. What I don't like though is the go, go, go as fast as you can strategy that he insists on (he has explicitly stated this as his philosophy in multiple interviews). Perfect example of its downside: going into the 4th against the pats opening day last year with a lead (if my memory serves me correctly), they ran the hurry up and had back-to-back 3 and outs. This of course gave Brady more opportunities to save the day, which he predictably did. This tone-deaf attitude is too simplistic in the pros: I really think you have to adjust according your team's performance at the time, as well as the opponent's performance and the overall rhythm of the game. Pettine actually mentioned this in one of his recent interviews. I mean, even Manning and Brady have quiet games from time to time, so how do we expect Manuel to run the hurry-up without slumps and periods of ineffectiveness? The stacked backfield can compensate for a streaky pass game, but to me, keeping the offense in 5th gear at all times is disconcerting. Thoughts?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally understand the OP's point...

But Hackett's point would likely be that he envisions a Bills Offense as efficient as those Brady led NE Offenses...An Offense that, given an extra possession or two, will use them like a daggers against you...

That being said I'm hoping for some flexibility on the plan...Truth is though...slow or not...too many 3 and outs is going to lead to a bad season regardless...It's just a slower death if you slow it down... B-)

Hackett IMO is just as big a question mark as EJ is right now. I don't understand the obsession he and Marrone have with being a fast paced offense when they also clearly want to be a running team as those two philosophies tend to contradict each other.

I would love to see them be more like the 49ers and less like the Pats and Broncos. Quality over quantity especially with a young team.

Edited by Max997

I completely agree. If the offense can't consistently move the ball it's just not going to work. Lopsided TOP just like last year and trouble closing games. Makes it a little easier to understand the defense's trouble with the run being on the field so much. We were 28th in TOP I believe. I hope Hackett is more flexible late in games.

Edited by SmokinES3

If Hackett would just watch an Eagles game or two he would see that his whole approach is deeply flawed. Nick Foles is cool as a cucumber as he goes under center, doesn't have to make any calls to his team as all the positional coaches give hand gesture signals. Chip Kelly gives Foles easy reads, lots of space and mostly screen passes that pick up huge chunks. Now watch EJ frantic and shouting at his wideouts who can't seem to hear the call but smile and nod anyway, then they run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Many busted plays and miscommunications. The coordination just isn't there and the 3 & outs are devastating. Pull the plug, slow it down.

I'm sure Hackett works as hard as anyone, and that his wealth of knowledge and passion will be valuable assets to the Bills O this year. What I don't like though is the go, go, go as fast as you can strategy that he insists on (he has explicitly stated this as his philosophy in multiple interviews). Perfect example of its downside: going into the 4th against the pats opening day last year with a lead (if my memory serves me correctly), they ran the hurry up and had back-to-back 3 and outs. This of course gave Brady more opportunities to save the day, which he predictably did. This tone-deaf attitude is too simplistic in the pros: I really think you have to adjust according your team's performance at the time, as well as the opponent's performance and the overall rhythm of the game. Pettine actually mentioned this in one of his recent interviews. I mean, even Manning and Brady have quiet games from time to time, so how do we expect Manuel to run the hurry-up without slumps and periods of ineffectiveness? The stacked backfield can compensate for a streaky pass game, but to me, keeping the offense in 5th gear at all times is disconcerting. Thoughts?

I think I'm going to agree with this. It reminds me a little of Jauron's woeful no-huddle offense that (imo) destroyed Trent Edwards. At the time, the no-huddle was very fashionable with Payton Manning's brilliant execution in Indy. The problem was that it didn't come even slightly close to matching our team- we had no o-line!!! How do you run an effective no-huddle offense with an ineffective offensive line???

And now we have this next NFL fashion. We read about it all the time in interviews with players from other teams, as well-- how "fast" their offense is. I'm trying to remember who it was in Miami who recently said the same thing.

Is Hackett jumping on this wave?

The most effective OC will look at their own offense, and build a system based on their strengths and weaknesses. NOT look at another offense, and say "I'm going to model our offense after theirs..." Especially if that offense they are modeling after is in our own division. I want our OC to be an innovator, not someone who follows trends.

This should worry you about Marrone. This is his philosophy too. He and Hackett came up with it sat SU. It wasn't always Hacketts way of coaching. I agree that it might not be the best idea, but it's not all on Hackett.

This should worry you about Marrone. This is his philosophy too. He and Hackett came up with it sat SU. It wasn't always Hacketts way of coaching. I agree that it might not be the best idea, but it's not all on Hackett.

Yeah, guess I have to agree with this, too.

I agree that teams need to be balanced, and sometimes you do need to slow it down. But there is a very good argument that if a hurry up gave them the lead, one of the dumbest things to do is to stop doing what is working, and try to play conservative. That IMO has lost more games that being over aggressive for teams. Early in the fourth quarter you do what you have been doing if it's working.

Speaking of it reminding you of the Jauron era...wasn't that the same time that Turk Schonert was shown the door in preseason, AVP promoted to OC who ran the no huddle and....pretty sure it was Hackett at qb coach or something like that. I thought that when DM hired him...SSDD it didn't work then n I still have doubts it will now. In perspective we had AVP (who as a Bills fan love) but isn't the world renowned coach now years later we have his understudy. Just ludicrous IMO. But hey...still doesn't change the fact I Love My BILLS!!!

Speaking of it reminding you of the Jauron era...wasn't that the same time that Turk Schonert was shown the door in preseason, AVP promoted to OC who ran the no huddle and....pretty sure it was Hackett at qb coach or something like that. I thought that when DM hired him...SSDD it didn't work then n I still have doubts it will now. In perspective we had AVP (who as a Bills fan love) but isn't the world renowned coach now years later we have his understudy. Just ludicrous IMO. But hey...still doesn't change the fact I Love My BILLS!!!

Hackett was a kid and the quality control coach then, not the QB coach. AVP has recently commented how sharp Hackett was though at that time.

Hackett IMO is just as big a question mark as EJ is right now. I don't understand the obsession he and Marrone have with being a fast paced offense when they also clearly want to be a running team as those two philosophies tend to contradict each other.

I would love to see them be more like the 49ers and less like the Pats and Broncos. Quality over quantity especially with a young team.

I'm not saying Hackett's or Chip Kelly's philosophy is correct. BUT fast paced and running the football are not mutually exclusive.

i believe that i have heard it explained that a large part of their hurry up philosophy is about pushing on the defense with the offensive line at a fast pace. the theory being that by run blocking early and often, you are being aggressive and have a chance to wear defenses out, making them more susceptible to the big play.

I agree that teams need to be balanced, and sometimes you do need to slow it down. But there is a very good argument that if a hurry up gave them the lead, one of the dumbest things to do is to stop doing what is working, and try to play conservative. That IMO has lost more games that being over aggressive for teams. Early in the fourth quarter you do what you have been doing if it's working.

Well, you go with what works. If your opponent adjusts to the up-tempo, you do slow it down. You don't keep going three over a quarter or more and hope things change.

The fast-paced offense is precisely what this team does not need. Last year was absurd. A rookie quarterback, a shaky offensive line, young receivers...and Hackett installs a hurry up? Not much different this year. The hurry up worked for the Superbowl Bills because a) they were all veterans and new each other very well; and b) it took the league by surprise. Neither condition is in place this year. With an inexperienced offense and strong defense, you want a ball-control offense, maybe a fast pace at times under the right conditions. Hackett and Marrone are making a mistake.

Edited by finn

Not sure what all of this "worrying" is going to accomplish. Clearly, the goal of Marrone and Hackett is to score a lot of points and win football games. Nothing I've heard, seen, or read about either of them suggests to me they are morons, or that they want to establish a methodology for the Bills that will cost them football games. But that's just me. Last year is a wash; rookie QB injured, WRs injured, etc. Even so, they started out 2-2 with wins against Carolina and Baltimore (and nearly beat the Pats*) playing the "fast paced" style.

I am not against going fast paced. But I do believe a team has to get it right at slow speed first and keep increasing the speed until they get too fast and start slipping up and not executing it right. You can't start out going high speed. You need to work at the basics slower till you consistently get it right at that speed, then incrementally increase it to a faster level till your team reaches its "ceiling speed".

There are no shortcuts.The Colts with Manning, the Bills with Kelly had the QB, the O line, the RBs,TE, WRs capable of going at top speed, and it worked. A hurry- up does not make bad offense better, it makes it even worse. The hurry-up makes a good offense better. But you have to work at, practice being, and become good first before you begin to speed it up. Last year was a nightmare because the team took shortcuts and didn't get good first.

If Hackett continues to try to take short cuts, bad things will happen. There are no short cuts in life or on the football field.Bad things happen. Even shortcuts that work on the field still cause bad things to happen in life, re "roids".

Edited by simpleman