What worries me with Hackett

While hurrying up has positives and negatives, what everyone needs to realize is that if they can do it at a fast pace, then they can do it at a slow pace! Their bread and butter seems to be face paced, obviously! With Hoestler on staff now and the playoffs or bust mentality, game planing and in game situations will dictate when to slow it down. i.e. to eat up clock, or change personnel, etc... Let's wait and see if Hackett has learned from experience before we roast him on a skewer! I know there's uncertainty, but come on man, relax and stay positive! Hard work pays off, and these guys have been workin their A$$ off, so it's just a waiting game until we see amazing results. Anyone that says I'm just drinking the koolaid, has no clue of what it takes to build a championship caliber team! There's quality depth at every position now so there shouldn't be a drop off if anyone goes down. It's all about one thing...WINNING! I see it heading in that direction. We've been waiting so long now, we are so ready for prime time! The table is set, the NFL won't know what hit them...bring it on!! �� #GoBills #ThisIsOurTime

I like your attitude! I hope Hackett has learned from experience because it did seem as though sometimes last year he was over his head. I suppose even coaches have "rookie years" in the NFL and perhaps in his 2nd year he will take a big step.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did slow things down, but was that by design or because they felt Manuel would better handle a 'normal' pace in his first season? Then of course, he was injured.

When Manuel returned form injury we had Hackett come down from the booth . When Manuel returned from injury Hackett slowed things down.

He did not slow the pace of the game as much as i think he pulled back the playbook pages and simplified the game day options at the line . To develop some confidence . Actually in theory Nate did the right things. But i think he was a bit late with adjustments.

Hell he was a rook.

Little Nate is gonna be fine .

I hope 0:)

Negatives

- Daddy's boy coach. I can't stand them. Most of them are underachievers (Kiffin, Lil' Marty S, Todd Haley) and are only in their position because their dad got them there. Hackett has a lot to prove to me that he is a legit coach on his own.

- His use of Spiller was awful. He didn't play to his strengths. Gailey had his faults as a head coach but was a wizard with Spiller. Why Hackett didn't copy plays Gailey used with Spiller blows my mind.

- Lack of creativity. Spiller, Jackson up the middle over and over again. Why not Spiller/ Jackson backfield? Where were the screens?

Pros

- I thought he did a great job preparing 3 essentially 1st year QBs for their games. He was really handcuffed by the QB situation and all the guys looked prepared.

- His energy. I like the youthful energy he brings.

- He seems willing to own up to his mistakes.

Overall, I thought Hackett was an average 1st year OC. I'm looking forward to him with a full season learning with EJ and correcting mistakes from last year.

Hackett never had a chance last year. His veteran QB starter went down before the season started. His rookie QB missed half of training camp, and got hurt three times. His last second journeyman QB got hurt awhile. He was forced to play a raw undrafted rookie free agent QB who sucked in college, his TWO running backs got hurt early, one who was hurt most of the year, his top WR was playing hurt the whole year, his deep threat got hurt after a couple games, a couple other WR got hurt and a few linemen got hurt.

Oh, and this was his first year on the job and his head coach was new and the system was new.

There is no OC anywhere with any system that could have succeeded at all under those circumstances.

I'm not saying he is great or even good. This year should tell us something about him.

Oh, and he slowed the entire offense drastically over the year. They still ran the no huddle but it was not really helter skelter with Thad or Tuel unless they got a first down and then tried to push it quicker to gain momentum. There is an enormous difference between a hurry up offense and a no huddle offense. A lot of the time we were in no huddle but not hurry up.

All great points. I will also add that the offensive line play really regressed from the year before. Add it all together and anyone who believes they can make any sort of accurate assessment, either good or bad, of Hackett as an OC, based on last year, is ignoring reality and seeing what they want to see. I have no idea how successful Hackett will be. However, my educated guess is that his success will improve with (1) experience at this level, (2) stability and consistent play at the QB position, (3) consistently good O line play, and (4) players remaining relatively healthy.

I am less worried about the pace of the offense than I am about the things listed above. Just as an aside: I do believe the coaching staff understands the necessity of slowing the pace at times and I think it showed as the season progressed. As far as the New England game...if Stevie catches that 3rd down pass, I believe the Bills would have won that game - fast pace and all.

What worries me about Hackett is that we'll probably have to replace him next season when he gets HC interviews after his offensive scheme wrecks defenses and helps win us a playoff game. BOOM!

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall