NFL: Television vs Stadium Experience

Code,

I am not saying this lady did not tell you that...but I have never, ever, seen anyone harass young kids at the Ralph. I am the first to say I will also joke with the youngsters wearing away jerseys...just good natured fun. They have always taken it as such. Just last year had a family with young kids row behind me at pats game....12 year old was crushing me last drive of the game....and mom and dad were loving it. He was just giving back to me what I was giving when we were winning....all part of the in stadium experience.

I have enough faith in my fellow bills fans that I am 100% positive that if some knuckleheads were bothering young kids with their mom! the knuckleheads would be dealt with in a heartbeat. I have never been in a fight at the Ralph, or even come close. I would get in a fight if I saw that.

Now, could this have been the case where the kids had on Pats jerseys, someone yells.."your going down" or " Pats suck" ...yep I see that. And more important, I see no problem with it.

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found a way to help simulate the stadium experience in my own home.

When I use the washroom, I urinate all over the toilet seat and never bother to flush so others can view the humbling yet awesome evidence of my humanity :sick:

I'm a TV guy now. The stadium crowd usually isn't my cup of tea these days, and that's fine. I like attending games, but I just don't have the patience for some of the stuff that goes on there these days. I enjoy keeping my fat ass on the couch with a good IPA or six.

It's not that I have a problem with the people at the games, I hope they're having a great time. I'd just rather not deal with it.

Code,

I am not saying this lady did not tell you that...but I have never, ever, seen anyone harass young kids at the Ralph. I am the first to say I will also joke with the youngsters wearing away jerseys...just good natured fun. They have always taken it as such. Just last year had a family with young kids row behind me at pats game....12 year old was crushing me last drive of the game....and mom and dad were loving it. He was just giving back to me what I was giving when we were winning....all part of the in stadium experience.

I have enough faith in my fellow bills fans that I am 100% positive that if some knuckleheads were bothering young kids with their mom! the knuckleheads would be dealt with in a heartbeat. I have never been in a fight at the Ralph, or even come close. I would get in a fight if I saw that.

Now, could this have been the case where the kids had on Pats jerseys, someone yells.."your going down" or " Pats suck" ...yep I see that. And more important, I see no problem with it.

I wasn't there, but this woman generally is not prone to exaggeration and is pretty level headed. I agree with you in general about good natured ribbing between adults like you described. I would however, not expect male adults to be doing that to a woman with her kids unless they knew the woman.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I got tired of the booze hounds who are rude and obnoxious. The swearing, fighting and barbaric behavior some think is part of the stadium experience needs to go away. I was at the Ralph when we played the Giants on Monday Football in the mid 70s. The fans that night were bad but each year I went back until my life was threatened by a group of intoxicated young knuckleheads. I realized that I no longer enjoyed this. Have not been back since 93 and will watch the games from the safety of my living room.

I wasn't there, but this woman generally is not prone to exaggeration and is pretty level headed. I agree with you in general about good natured ribbing between adults like you described. I would however, not expect male adults to be doing that to a woman with her kids unless they knew the woman.

There is absolutely a line...my kid has taken good nature chit in away stadiums...i got no problem with it, and he expects and likes it.

Again, I am like MRAGS, i read and hear all these horror stories on here, but have been going to games since the joint opened, prolly averaged 4 games a year for 40 years, and have just never really seen most of this stuff. Maybe i am oblivious, but if i ever saw someone in the grill of a kid or even getting close to the line, i think me and every other fan around would react.

The occoasional drunk...sure. I see that every big family get together as well...and i still go to those :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1

There is absolutely a line...my kid has taken good nature chit in away stadiums...i got no problem with it, and he expects and likes it.

Again, I am like MRAGS, i read and hear all these horror stories on here, but have been going to games since the joint opened, prolly averaged 4 games a year for 40 years, and have just never really seen most of this stuff. Maybe i am oblivious, but if i ever saw someone in the grill of a kid or even getting close to the line, i think me and every other fan around would react.

The occoasional drunk...sure. I see that every big family get together as well...and i still go to those :thumbsup:

your not oblivious. Your the educated one. People (and I'm not saying Code) are generally oblivious or live under a rock. They bring their children up in a way to shelter them from society and what really happens in real life. Again, not saying that about anyone here or that's why they don't like going to games. But when I hear people complain about the behavior it makes me wonder of these sheltered people have ever seen someone drink too much in their lives.

in all fairness, unless you've NEVER been to a sporting event in your entire life, how could you not know things like this happen? I don't know your friend. I've heard stories like this in the past. People who know people heard a story. Such and such. I've witnessed those people at the games. They aren't usually as innocent as they say they are.

Again, the whole 69,999 people might be great and the 1 @$$hole ruins it for everyone makes sense. I agree. But at the same time, it goes the other way about opposing teams fans. All it takes is a group of 4-5 of away team fans and 1 in that group being an @$$hole. Of course the others in the group will all say he did nothing wrong as well.

I've seen some nasty away fans at The Ralph. From yelling. Calling Bills fans names. Degrading them. Spitting on them. Spilling beer. It goes along with the "on vacation party" type of scenario. When someone goes in vacation, be it the beach, Vegas, etc... Usually people tend to get crazy. These away team fans come into the Ralph and think they are untouchable. Like they can make an @$$ out of themselves and there's no worries about it because they are not at home.

And as many would like to add that the Canadians are always a problem at The Ralph. They are not innocent in all this. Another angle of fan that's "on vacation" yet feel like they are at home.

A good friend that work with that is part of security at stadium on game days has informed me that the majority (a huge majority) of arrests are Canadians. Take that however you'd like.

It's a weird thing to me that Canadians are known for their niceness. I think maybe it's when they are IN Canada...........The guys that sit in front of us are great. But, the proportion of crap like fights and other nonsense done by Canadians seems to me to be greater than the 20% of the stadium they make up.

And, if anybody is old enough to remember Uncle Sam's. They used to take Canadian dollars at par, so there were many there............And, it seems like a huge % of them were there to get in a fight.

No offense to CBF!

I like both. I just sold my home which had a media room with three TV's on the wall. I always enjoyed having the Bills on the big screen, the Bucs (i live in Tampa) on the second, and the best game at 1:00 pm on the third. I take them to one to two Bucs games a year, and have just started using my miles to take them to one bills game a year.

It's so much fun. I have never bought season tickets due to the investment not only financially, but the time committment each sunday.

As far as fans, I've been pretty lucky not too much F Bombs, and when a little out of hand, I've bought the guy a beer and asked nicely to tone it down. It's always worked as they see I'm not challenging them, just pointing thme to my kids. most drunks even are somewhat reasonable if you approach the right way.

Put me in the camp that enjoy both the TV experience and the stadium experience almost equally.

Stadium: I love going to the games; the atmosphere is amazing and the commercial breaks and "dead time" don't bother me because I love to people watch. I've never had an issue with drunks at the Ralph, and agree with those who recall much rowdier crowds in years past. I heard some old-timers telling stories this past weekend about having to pay people to watch their cars at the old Rockpile or they would be stolen/vandalized when they got out of the game. I also think society today has become much too sensitive about things like foul language. Nobody wants to take responsibility for teaching their own kids what they should and shouldn't say -- there's no evidence I'm aware of that if a kid hears foul language at a football game it's going to "damage" him or her. Truthfully, I don't understand keeping kids away from the games out of fear for what they might hear or see -- ever hear of a "teaching moment" mom and dad?

TV: There's nothing like a big screen HDTV with PIP, iPad by my side, and cold beer in my hand to watch the Bills and other games. I pipe the Shout song through my home speakers when the Bills score and have a heluva good time. I do like some of the announcers, and I just ignore those I don't. The technology today really is terrific, and will only get better.

in all fairness, unless you've NEVER been to a sporting event in your entire life, how could you not know things like this happen? I don't know your friend. I've heard stories like this in the past. People who know people heard a story. Such and such. I've witnessed those people at the games. They aren't usually as innocent as they say they are.

Again, the whole 69,999 people might be great and the 1 @$$hole ruins it for everyone makes sense. I agree. But at the same time, it goes the other way about opposing teams fans. All it takes is a group of 4-5 of away team fans and 1 in that group being an @$$hole. Of course the others in the group will all say he did nothing wrong as well.

I've seen some nasty away fans at The Ralph. From yelling. Calling Bills fans names. Degrading them. Spitting on them. Spilling beer. It goes along with the "on vacation party" type of scenario. When someone goes in vacation, be it the beach, Vegas, etc... Usually people tend to get crazy. These away team fans come into the Ralph and think they are untouchable. Like they can make an @$$ out of themselves and there's no worries about it because they are not at home.

And as many would like to add that the Canadians are always a problem at The Ralph. They are not innocent in all this. Another angle of fan that's "on vacation" yet feel like they are at home.

A good friend that work with that is part of security at stadium on game days has informed me that the majority (a huge majority) of arrests are Canadians. Take that however you'd like.

This is an excellent post. I mean you got to use your head a little bit. Perfect example my son likes the falcons, whe they were on the schedule last year I was going to take him to that game(before I found out they were playing up in Canada) but I told him he is not wearing his Matt Ryan jersey. My wife thought I was being silly but I said it takes only a couple drunk aholes to ruin our day. You got to be smart about it. I have gone to a lot of away games & I rarely wear my jersey unless when we go down to Miami(there are usually 25K bills fans there) or jacksonville. But I see it all the time people wearing different jersey come into our house & disrespect the Bills fans around them. If you ask me these peple are looking for trouble & often times they find it.

Edited by Gordio

this. No argument. Not even close. Never will be. I don't care if they come out with a TV that can drip player sweat on you, smell like fresh cut grass and snow in your living room. It'll never even be close to an argument.

Agree 100%!!! The entire game day experience completely dwarfs that of watching the game on a TV. The thrill of entering the stadium from the concourse and actually being a part of the energy that consumes the stadium is second to none. That is a feeling that Connor be replicated by reaching for the remote, or your laptop!

I agree, you will run into people that are hammered, but if you are infatuated with looking for those people, or making your experience about them- you won't totally enjoy your time. Go to the game, do YOUR thing, and enjoy YOUR experience... I've seen people that spend their entire day watching others, looking for something to complain about....

i'm a 28 year, 10 seats season ticket holder. getting old sucks.

I like watching at home much better than being at the stadium, although I still enjoy going very much.

the most annoying thing at the game is (my age is really showing here) is that everyone now stands up for every single play the entire game. used to be just 3rd and 4th downs. second most annoying thing is trying to get home after the game in gridlock traffic. third most annoying is lack of video replays on every play. then there is always the occasional drunks, fights, profanity, spilled drinks, thrown food, people coming and going in your row, long security lines just to get in, $10 beers and overpriced food, lines at the restrooms, nasty weather, DWI concerns and now no Jills cheerleaders.

face it, it's a young man's game, as all my son's and their friends wouldn't miss a minute of the stadium and tailgating experience.

man cave, HDTV, surround sound, red zone channel, private restroom, adult beverages, wife in cheerleader outfit...life is good.

I like watching at home much better than being at the stadium, although I still enjoy going very much.

the most annoying thing at the game is (my age is really showing here) is that everyone now stands up for every single play the entire game. used to be just 3rd and 4th downs. second most annoying thing is trying to get home after the game in gridlock traffic. third most annoying is lack of video replays on every play. then there is always the occasional drunks, fights, profanity, spilled drinks, thrown food, people coming and going in your row, long security lines just to get in, $10 beers and overpriced food, lines at the restrooms, nasty weather, DWI concerns and now no Jills cheerleaders.

face it, it's a young man's game, as all my son's and their friends wouldn't miss a minute of the stadium and tailgating experience.

man cave, HDTV, surround sound, red zone channel, private restroom, adult beverages, wife in cheerleader outfit...life is good.

I am kind of in the same boat as you are. When I was in my 20's/early thirties I would never consider missing any game. I still have season tickets but I usually only get to about 3 games a year & to be honest if it was not for my 10 year old that loves to go to the games I would probably only go to the opener. I just find it much more enjoyable to spend the day down in the man cave then go to the stadium now. Showing my age I guess.

Put me in the camp that enjoy both the TV experience and the stadium experience almost equally.

Stadium: I love going to the games; the atmosphere is amazing and the commercial breaks and "dead time" don't bother me because I love to people watch. I've never had an issue with drunks at the Ralph, and agree with those who recall much rowdier crowds in years past. I heard some old-timers telling stories this past weekend about having to pay people to watch their cars at the old Rockpile or they would be stolen/vandalized when they got out of the game. I also think society today has become much too sensitive about things like foul language. Nobody wants to take responsibility for teaching their own kids what they should and shouldn't say -- there's no evidence I'm aware of that if a kid hears foul language at a football game it's going to "damage" him or her. Truthfully, I don't understand keeping kids away from the games out of fear for what they might hear or see -- ever hear of a "teaching moment" mom and dad?

The cars story is true E, I can remember my dad and uncle bitching bout the $5 watch fee like it was yesterday

Couple years ago daughter , twelve at the time, got in line of the portal potty at ECC lot about 11.30 20 year old chick in line in front of her made it to side of porta potty, and just starting gacking all over the grass next to the john. Hair was in her face getting puke it, young dudes were looking at her with the " nasty" look.....let's just say she saw what drinking too much looks like, and to this day talks about how sad that girl looked. She is now almost 15, I am truthfully glad she saw that ....as you said , a true teaching moment that I did not have to do any teaching!

The cars story is true E, I can remember my dad and uncle bitching bout the $5 watch fee like it was yesterday

Couple years ago daughter , twelve at the time, got in line of the portal potty at ECC lot about 11.30 20 year old chick in line in front of her made it to side of porta potty, and just starting gacking all over the grass next to the john. Hair was in her face getting puke it, young dudes were looking at her with the " nasty" look.....let's just say she saw what drinking too much looks like, and to this day talks about how sad that girl looked. She is now almost 15, I am truthfully glad she saw that ....as you said , a true teaching moment that I did not have to do any teaching!

Had one of those teaching "don't let this happen to you" moments with my now 15 year old son when we was probably 10 or 11 or so as well. In lot 1, a guy leaning over the guardrail to the service road heaving his guts out. Staggered away from the guardrail and started drinking more. He still brings it up occasionally as well. Those kind of things have a big impact seeing it in real life instead of someone telling you about it.

I like both. I just sold my home which had a media room with three TV's on the wall. I always enjoyed having the Bills on the big screen, the Bucs (i live in Tampa) on the second, and the best game at 1:00 pm on the third. I take them to one to two Bucs games a year, and have just started using my miles to take them to one bills game a year.

It's so much fun. I have never bought season tickets due to the investment not only financially, but the time committment each sunday.

As far as fans, I've been pretty lucky not too much F Bombs, and when a little out of hand, I've bought the guy a beer and asked nicely to tone it down. It's always worked as they see I'm not challenging them, just pointing thme to my kids. most drunks even are somewhat reasonable if you approach the right way.

Great approach!

Agree 100%!!! The entire game day experience completely dwarfs that of watching the game on a TV. The thrill of entering the stadium from the concourse and actually being a part of the energy that consumes the stadium is second to none. That is a feeling that Connor be replicated by reaching for the remote, or your laptop!

I agree, you will run into people that are hammered, but if you are infatuated with looking for those people, or making your experience about them- you won't totally enjoy your time. Go to the game, do YOUR thing, and enjoy YOUR experience... I've seen people that spend their entire day watching others, looking for something to complain about....

Exactly. I didn't know I had such a high tolerance for drunks, etc. I just don't pay attention to them.

29 year sth here. So, we're probably about the same age. I still love it.

But, I do wonder what is up with the standing all game thing? How did that start? I used to like to do it because it meant it was a big game. I remember the first time doing it was the Oilers playoff game on 1/1/89.

Then in recent years, those night games is when it happened. Pats in '07, Cowboys earlier that year, etc.

But, now it's every game. It doesn't distinguish between the big games (or the big moments like you mentioned) and the rest.

I don't hate it, but I'm curious.