Kyle Williams to be featured on NFLN Top 100 (top 40) tonight

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What an odd career trajectory for KW. He went from being criminally underrated early on to being a bit overrated lately in just a few short seasons.

He had his best statistical year ever last year. 10.5 sacks from a DT is incredibly good. Forgive us for overrating a multiple time probowler that is one of the most productive at his position in the league. The scary part is that he wasn't even fully recovered from surgery.

Edited by Fingon

What an odd career trajectory for KW. He went from being criminally underrated early on to being a bit overrated lately in just a few short seasons.

I've been critical of KW in the past, but after last season I don't see how it's possible that he's overrated...Even slightly... B-)

According to PFF, he is the only "elite" player on the team. Still don't agree with that, but that is not a knock on Kyle as much as it is a discredit to Mario who frees up Kyle. But I think Kyle deserves every accolade he gets and love that the Bills took him in the 5th and he turned out to be a stud and a captain.

By no means do I think he's not still a really good player. But top 40 in the league? A few years ago, easily. When he was the only one on that line busting his tail every play and was single-handedly dominating games, it was a treat to watch. Perhaps I'm wrong. Overrated might not be the right term (would have to see the rest of the list), but I certainly don't think he's as good as he once was. Imagine he got to play with players like Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus a few years ago.

Edited by QB Bills

According to PFF, he is the only "elite" player on the team. Still don't agree with that, but that is not a knock on Kyle as much as it is a discredit to Mario who frees up Kyle. But I think Kyle deserves every accolade he gets and love that the Bills took him in the 5th and he turned out to be a stud and a captain.

That is kind of how I feel. KW is a really good football player. He is not Mario good (who is supposed to still be coming up on the list) but really good nonetheless. He is a force in the passing game. The Bills DL is elite.

I don't know how you could say Kyle Williams is the only "elite" player on the team when you have Mario Williams on that line also, but Kyle is a hell of a football player. Great pass rush, and it's not because he has incredible speed or agility. He has incredible tenacity, a high motor, and great football instinct. He has solid footwork, and always maintains his gap in a gap control defense.

I find it comical when fans with little to no knowledge of defensive schemes and philosophy attempt to point to overall stats against the run for the entire Bills defense and say, "Derrrrr, see look, he's right in the middle so it must be his fault". You know nothing, John Snow. Every player on the defense is responsible for exactly one gap. Kyle almost always controls his, does not get pushed off the ball, has a great pop and excellent leverage at all times, usually takes on 2 blockers if he doesn't make the play, which for a defensive grade is equivalent to making the tackle (because it frees another defender to make the play). Really excited to see a hoss like Brandon Spikes back there who should be very comfortable making the stops in the middle with a guy like Kyle eating up those blockers who are trying to climb to the next level. Haven't had true beefcake runstopping linebackers since Fletch and T. Spikes were back there, and that's been the real problem with our run D.

Please refer to what are known in world of football (actual football, players/coaches, not fans) as grades. You will see that Kyle Williams is not just the highest graded player on the entire Bills team most games, but one of the highest graded d linemen in the entire league. Players are graded every single play for whether they controlled their gap and completed their responsibility in the 11 man defensive scheme. Do your job, and you get neither a + or a -. Do something that contributes to making the play directly and you get a +, screw up and you get a -. That's a simplified version, but basically that's how it works, and Kyle is one of the most technically sound players we have and also is a playmaker. A rare thing indeed to be both. And he wears my number from college, so obviously I'm a bit of a fan!

I don't know how you could say Kyle Williams is the only "elite" player on the team when you have Mario Williams on that line also, but Kyle is a hell of a football player. Great pass rush, and it's not because he has incredible speed or agility. He has incredible tenacity, a high motor, and great football instinct. He has solid footwork, and always maintains his gap in a gap control defense.

I find it comical when fans with little to no knowledge of defensive schemes and philosophy attempt to point to overall stats against the run for the entire Bills defense and say, "Derrrrr, see look, he's right in the middle so it must be his fault". You know nothing, John Snow. Every player on the defense is responsible for exactly one gap. Kyle almost always controls his, does not get pushed off the ball, has a great pop and excellent leverage at all times, usually takes on 2 blockers if he doesn't make the play, which for a defensive grade is equivalent to making the tackle (because it frees another defender to make the play). Really excited to see a hoss like Brandon Spikes back there who should be very comfortable making the stops in the middle with a guy like Kyle eating up those blockers who are trying to climb to the next level. Haven't had true beefcake runstopping linebackers since Fletch and T. Spikes were back there, and that's been the real problem with our run D.

Please refer to what are known in world of football (actual football, players/coaches, not fans) as grades. You will see that Kyle Williams is not just the highest graded player on the entire Bills team most games, but one of the highest graded d linemen in the entire league. Players are graded every single play for whether they controlled their gap and completed their responsibility in the 11 man defensive scheme. Do your job, and you get neither a + or a -. Do something that contributes to making the play directly and you get a +, screw up and you get a -. That's a simplified version, but basically that's how it works, and Kyle is one of the most technically sound players we have and also is a playmaker. A rare thing indeed to be both. And he wears my number from college, so obviously I'm a bit of a fan!

PFF is obsessed with KW

By no means do I think he's not still a really good player. But top 40 in the league? A few years ago, easily. When he was the only one on that line busting his tail every play and was single-handedly dominating games, it was a treat to watch. Perhaps I'm wrong. Overrated might not be the right term (would have to see the rest of the list), but I certainly don't think he's as good as he once was. Imagine he got to play with players like Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus a few years ago.

He had his best year ever last year. The talent around him certainly helps, but still, he was a disruptive force.

PFF is obsessed with KW

Yes, they do a pretty great job at it IMO. Obviously only the coaches can get the grades 100% correct, because they're the only ones who ultimately know what each very specific responsibility was in that defense. By watching film, you can be about 95% sure what every player was supposed to do on any given play, however. You can do this because you know everyone is responsible for a gap, and if there is a gap left unfilled, you can almost always determine which bonehead missed their assignment. Even with complicated blitz packages and line stunts the gaps are covered, and you can break down who should have been where. ALMOST always.

Description of their grading system, which is pretty much in line with most coaches I've seen on the college level, so assuming it's very close to most pro coaches systems as well. https://www.profootb.../about/grading/

**Sidenote... Monday morning was always dreadful waiting for those grades to be posted in the locker room. You never knew when a coach was going to think you stepped six inches to wide to the left, didn't get your pads low enough, shoelace was undone (OK, maybe not the last one). You'd be like "Coach, I shed two blockers, made a TFL, forced a fumble, which I recovered, scored a TD, and won the game... and I went to every class this week" He'd be like... you forgot to shave before the game... -1!

Edited by DC Greg

We've got to assume that Mario Williams is still to come right? Meaning we'll have four defensive players in the top 100. That's pretty cool. Although I would venture to say that all four of them are ranked a little too high. Certainly can't complain about being disrespected this time around.

We've got to assume that Mario Williams is still to come right? Meaning we'll have four defensive players in the top 100. That's pretty cool. Although I would venture to say that all four of them are ranked a little too high. Certainly can't complain about being disrespected this time around.

Yep I have to assume Mario is top 30, no way he doesn't make the top 100.

Mario is entering his prime as a player right now-- this year. Healthy too. Wouldn't bet against him leading the NFL in sacks by a wide margin this season.

He doesn't have to lead in sacks to have a giant impact. His impact is a guy like Hughes getting double digit sacks because of Mario on the other side.

Good to see Kyle getting his respect. He's one of the best pass rushing DTs in the NFL. Still, these lists are pretty meaningless but it's gotta feel good to be on it.