Tim Russert June 13 ,2008

Been in his office at the Newsuem 3 times...little tear has formed all 3.

Quick story.. Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, must be 95 or so, Bills playing Lions next day.

Future wife and I at a little bar in Adams Morgan in the District about 7.30. Only one other couple in the place,Tim and Maureen. They at mid bar, us at the corner and me looking right at them. Tell my wife i am going to wlak by and say "Go Bills" . She says leave em be..they are having a nice peaceful drink don't bother them.

I made her a deal. I had a purple NU Swimming pullover, and I said i will put that on and see what happens. If he said nothing, i would say nothing.

Sure as chit, as soon as that thing went over my head i hear" Hey, did you go to Niagara?" and away we went on a two beer 30 minute conversation on the game next day and DirectV,The wives chatted awy...both annoyed at their husbands! He was still going to the NBC studios to watch all the games, i had DirecTv and he was fascinated and said he was ordering that Friday.

Wife pulled me away 30 minutes later, never saw him again, but guy was as genuine as you think!

RIP Timmy!

Edited by plenzmd1

Quick story.. Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, must be 95 or so, Bills playing Lions next day.

Future wife and I at a little bar in Adams Morgan in the District about 7.30. Only one other couple in the place,Tim and Maureen. They at mid bar, us at the corner and me looking right at them. Tell my wife i am going to wlak by and say "Go Bills" . She says leave em be..they are having a nice peaceful drink don't bother them.

I made her a deal. I had a purple NU Swimming pullover, and I said i will put that on and she what happens. If he said nothing, i would say nothing.

Sure as chit, as soon as that thing went over my head i hear" Hey, did you go to Niagara?" and away we went on a two beer 30 minute conversation on the game next day and DirectV,The wives chatted awy...both annoyed at their husbands! He was still going to the NBC studios to watch all the games, i had DirecTv and he was fascinated and said he was ordering that Friday.

Wife pulled me away 30 minutes later, never saw him again, but guy was as genuine as you think!

RIP Timmy!

awesome story, thanks for sharing it. I never had the chance to meet him but it's great to know that "what you see is what you get" with him. seemed like a real down to earth guy

Six years!?!

Amazing. I really miss the guy. He was a great guy and great for Buffalo. I had the opportunity to meet him a couple of times. He could not have been nicer. Somewhere I have a photo of him, my son, and me.

As an aside, when he was on, I never missed Meet the Press. I don't think I have watched more than five times since he passed away.

Tim is missed by many. He went far too young.

I grew up in South Buffalo a few blocks away from where Tim was raised and like most of us his father was a blue collar working man... Tim was raised to believe in hard work, God and country and never forgot where he came from... No matter how high up the ladder he climbed, South Buffalo was always home... And I suppose that's the reason as I sit here thinking about him, I have a tear in my eye... Six years ago, Buffalo lost a friend, RIP Mr. Russert, you are missed!!!

I made her a deal. I had a purple NU Swimming pullover, and I said i will put that on and see what happens. If he said nothing, i would say nothing.

RIP Timmy!

Thanks for ths... Edited by MyHorseAteTheKid

<snip>

RIP Timmy!

Funny, I never met him, but that's exactly what I though he'd be like if I ever did.

It's not like JFK, Challenger, or 9/11, but I will never forget exactly where I was the day they broke into whatever programming was on and announced he was gone.

The Bills lost a great fan that day and the US lost a great political voice.

RIP Timmy!

Great story!

I think about him a lot he was a Great Man ... GO Bills ...

I met him at a Bowl game here in Orlando several years ago Boston College and Matt Ryan was playing Mich State, we had a nice few minutes.

Edited by oman128

I follow Tim's son Luke on Twitter. He was born and raised in DC, went to Boston College, and currently works in the political media (NBC I believe). Despite never having lived in Buffalo, he is a huge Bills/Sabres fan and seems to be a lot like his Dad. He is actually a member of the Buffalo Fan Alliance.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's not like JFK, Challenger, or 9/11, but I will never forget exactly where I was the day they broke into whatever programming was on and announced he was gone.

I was picking up a van for work from the mechanic. I remember they had the TV on (don't remember what station) and it was in the middle of the breaking news segment. I remember saying "Oh my God" out loud, then just sitting in the waiting room for 5 minutes watching it, until I realized I had to get back to the office.

RIP Timmy!

Sounds like he was an old soul, real salt-of-the-earth Western New York type, like all of us.

Great story. Seriously, thanks for sharing.

We should name the new stadium after Tim Russert.

I know it's a business, and money talks, but if we really can't secure a naming rights company, I would love to have this stadium called something with him. Whether it's a Big Russ and Me, or just Russert Stadium, I'd love it.

I appreciate the thread as I didn't remember this date. I remember the day I came home on a plane from a week with one of my reps, so I didn't know he passed. My wife stayed up, and told me at 10 pm that night. She wasn't even from Buffalo, and we live in FL, but she was crying when I came home. We sat in bed and both cried over his loss. He meant so much to the city. My oldest boy now goes to a Jesuit school as he was so proud of being a Canisius alumni.

I'll never forget three of those four years where he said a prayer on national TV at the end of Meet the Press for our beloved Bills to win the SB. His interviews on NFL Films for those years. I remember him saying "NY, it's NY, Washington, well it's our national capital, and Dallas, they have big oil, etc., but nothing would have meant more to the city of Buffalo than winning one of those SB". I'm paraphrasing, but he was our best fan.

We'll miss you Tim. I know I do every Sunday morning.