What happens to NFL prospects who don't make an NFL roster

I live in Wilmington NC, was in the local SAM's today and was walking by the Direct TV sales counter which it appears all the Sam's and Costco stores have these days. So the guy asked me if I was interested in DTV, told him I already have it and commented that I need to call and get a deal on Sunday Ticket. He asked what my team was, told him the Bill's. He kind of smirked a bit, thought he was going to offer his condolences or something, but instead replied that he played for the Bill's I looked at his name tag and it was Jay Ross who was on the team last season.

I went back to work and looked up his stats, he made the roster the last two years, played in three games and had one tackle. Wasn't too shocked to see him working here as this is where he's from and went to HS here. While searching for him I noticed that he is going to coach some semi-pro team in the area this summer unless of course some team were to sign him. Kind of was surprised as he didn't look that big to be a DT. Maybe will see him again or maybe not if he gets lucky and some team signs him.

SAM's Club is kind of like The Island of Misfit Toys for B Grade ex-NFLers.....same with Car Dealerships and Investment/Insurance sales.

Real Estate too. Apparently Scott Norwood makes a killing. He works off the husband's interest in sports, the husband will remember and explain the Wide Right situation to his wife, and then Scott plays off the pity that the wife now feels for him.

Real Estate too. Apparently Scott Norwood makes a killing. He works off the husband's interest in sports, the husband will remember and explain the Wide Right situation to his wife, and then Scott plays off the pity that the wife now feels for him.

LOL...that's awesome.

I live in Wilmington NC, was in the local SAM's today and was walking by the Direct TV sales counter which it appears all the Sam's and Costco stores have these days. So the guy asked me if I was interested in DTV, told him I already have it and commented that I need to call and get a deal on Sunday Ticket. He asked what my team was, told him the Bill's. He kind of smirked a bit, thought he was going to offer his condolences or something, but instead replied that he played for the Bill's I looked at his name tag and it was Jay Ross who was on the team last season.

I went back to work and looked up his stats, he made the roster the last two years, played in three games and had one tackle. Wasn't too shocked to see him working here as this is where he's from and went to HS here. While searching for him I noticed that he is going to coach some semi-pro team in the area this summer unless of course some team were to sign him. Kind of was surprised as he didn't look that big to be a DT. Maybe will see him again or maybe not if he gets lucky and some team signs him.

Interesting... I remember thinking he looked decent in the preseason. There are many times where guys are signed "off the street" when teams have injuries during the year, and they end up having nice careers. I wish him luck to do just that.

Basically sums up the last 14 years...

Why?

Sounds like a temp job while hoping for another shot at the league. I'm sure lots of guys do that. didn't the old school guys work second jobs during NFL offseasons because the pay sucked?

AFL players signed with certain teams because of the promise of an off-season job.

I played in a flag tourney down in ocean city he was there playing with a bunch of ecu guys it wasn't an ecu team just some guys who play on the team you would be shocked though atleast 8-10 former nfl guys in these tourneys super competitive.

These guys at some point make the decision as to whether to keep grinding and working out for teams while doing temp jobs, or do bag it and move on with their lives. Ross is young enough that he is probably going to keep trying. During the season, they can get called to work out for any team any week (usually a Tuesday morning) with the potential of getting signed.

Sounds like a temp job while hoping for another shot at the league. I'm sure lots of guys do that. didn't the old school guys work second jobs during NFL offseasons because the pay sucked?

Almost all of them did. Perhaps someone else here remembers his name. But, one Bill had it written into his contract that he would have a job working at Twin Fair, during the offseason.

I have a guy in my office played NT for Rutgers, signed a UDFA deal with the Bears and spent training camp with them before getting let go. He waited for another call, agent said he had offers from Canada, but the guy wanted to get on with his life, nice guy, manages his weight, looks more like a DB or basketball player than a lineman now that he is 5 years away from playing.

A few years ago in Durham, NC, at an Enterprise car rental place, I met a guy who played football at Wake Forest and had a brief career in the NFL as a kick returner. We were shooting the breeze about the NFL, and I wish I could remember his name. I told him I was a Bills fan, and he said the moment he decided he didn't want to play football anymore was when he got laid out by London Fletcher on a kick return. He decided the long term physical damage wasn't worth it, plus he was just kind of stringing along anyway, so he bailed.

Edit: I should clarify, he was WORKING at the car rental place. Apparently Enterprise partners with the NCAA and hires a bunch of former athletes.

Edited by jimmyo