World Cup Thread

You should watch reruns of Babylon 5 before you tune into a soccer game. I don't do that, but you should.

So I'd end up blowing my brains out and never making to the soccer game? If so that's a pretty damn good plan. :thumbsup:

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No was just wondering why they don't have as many shoot outs in Champions/Europa League.

I guess because clubs are built over the long term while international teams are thrown together which means that they won't be as in sync.

I guess because clubs are built over the long term while international teams are thrown together which means that they won't be as in sync.

Oh ok. I thought that maybe their goals where the size of two barns instead of just one.

Jesus, that took too long to get to that punch line.

Classic cautious game. Neither team was pressing too far forward for fear of the dynamic counter and thus the ball was stuck in the midfield all game. Definitely a borefest not likely to happen in the finals.Impressed that Argentina did such a good job containing the Dutch attack.

The Dutch brought a little more pressure late but Argentina had the better of what limited offense there was in the match. I was in a bar (in Buffalo no less) and cold not see the offsides line clearly on the called back goal. Was his foot over? It sure looked close.

Edited by John Adams

Klinsman and these workmanlike teams will do OK for the next 8 years but after that, you'll see the first generation of kids who came up through the much-improved youth system. And it's only getting better.

Maybe we're getting better relative to past US teams, but are we keeping up with the world?

http://www.businessw...il-in-world-cup

Edited by linksfiend

Classic cautious game. Neither team was pressing too far forward for fear of the dynamic counter and thus the ball was stuck in the midfield all game. Definitely a borefest not likely to happen in the finals.Impressed that Argentina did such a good job containing the Dutch attack.

The Dutch brought a little more pressure late but Argentina had the better of what limited offense there was in the match. I was in a bar (in Buffalo no less) and cold not see the offsides line clearly on the called back goal. Was his foot over? It sure looked close.

Definite offside

Argentina so far has done a masterful job of balancing their attack with their defense. Brazil thought they could play a "full court" game so to speak vs. Germany, mistake. You can't play that sort of tempo vs. the Germans, they thrive when their is tons of space. The games where they have been most vulnerable throughout the tournament has been vs the teams who have relied on a compact defense. Of course, those teams typically haven't been able to get many scoring opportunities because of the over emphasis on defense.

What makes Argentina extremely tough to beat is that they have that ability to pressure deep on the opponents end of the field and quickly get back organized on defense. They have been able to stifle Belgium and Holland's offense and limit them both to few scoring opportunities. Should be a hell of a game, but I believe Germany still pulls it off.

why couldn't The Dutch put in the goalie they wanted for the Penalty kicks, had they utilized all 3 of their subs? Also, can one player take multiple penalty kicks?

Yes they had used all 3 subs and some were wondering why the coach wouldnt save a sub and put in the back up goalie for the PK's.

Also, yes I believe they can take more than 1 PK if it goes to extra rounds

CBF

Definite offside

If you're talking about Higuain's second half chance, the ball did not go in. It hit the outside of the net. The commentator initially saw it wrong and called it a goal. Also, the linesman's flag went up, but replay showed that Higuain was on-side. Had the ball gone in, which it didn't, it would have been a huge drama as it was flagged offside incorrectly.

Oh ok. I thought that maybe their goals where the size of two barns instead of just one.

Jesus, that took too long to get to that punch line.

I was thinking about this. The goals are enormous. The ball is small. With the lack of scoring, I'm starting to think that there are just very few decent soccer players in the world.

If you're talking about Higuain's second half chance, the ball did not go in. It hit the outside of the net. The commentator initially saw it wrong and called it a goal. Also, the linesman's flag went up, but replay showed that Higuain was on-side. Had the ball gone in, which it didn't, it would have been a huge drama as it was flagged offside incorrectly.

Wow--In the bar, I thought it went in.

That game was a borefest. Hope the final is better.

Thanks. I was in a public area and just saw the replay with out any volume. Never saw that the ball hit the outside of the net. I was at the Red Cross donating blood and was glad to see the match instead of the normal showing of Dr. Oz or Judge Judy. Nurses kept standing in the way...Next donation I'll achieve the 17 gallon mark.

good for you...i am a late comer to the blood donation game, but I used to go every 56 days, recently they talked me into double reds so i go every 112 now

Thanks. I was in a public area and just saw the replay with out any volume. Never saw that the ball hit the outside of the net. I was at the Red Cross donating blood and was glad to see the match instead of the normal showing of Dr. Oz or Judge Judy. Nurses kept standing in the way...Next donation I'll achieve the 17 gallon mark.