World Cup Thread

Who says a 0-0 tie is not exciting?

What a contest

Yeah... But what does it do to the standings and who does it hurt?

Is it conceivable that two highly ranked teams that have to go against each other (early), purposely play to this result. IMO, that is what sucks. It would be nice to see one of these favorites knocked out early. Did either of the teams take any chances or did they play it "safe."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it conceivable that two highly ranked teams that have to go against each other (early), purposely play to this result. IMO, that is what sucks. It would be nice to see one of these favorites knocked out early. Did either of the teams take any chances or did they play it "safe."

I didn't watch the game but Brazil isn't really the type of team to play it safe. That's usually reserved for the Euro clubs.

Yes, they took chances. Brazil did not want a draw, believe me. They had many good shots. The Mexican keeper was the hero in this one.

Mexico is happy to get a point, but to their credit, they were pushing for a winner late instead of just killing the clock. This was a good game. Both teams played with the right spirit.

I brought this up in the shoutbox. I got home and my thumb having its own brain when the TV turns on it goes right to ESPN. i see a guy picked up and put on a stretcher. The guy is sitting up smiling and happy, giving a thumbs up. Yet, being carried by 10 guys on a little stretcher.

That pretty much made me realize why I could never watch that sissy sport. If it was a high ankle sprain on a 350lbs. DL, he would be man enough walk off the field, at least with assistance from the trainers.

Dude was weak drama queen sissy for that stunt.

edit: don't take this as me trying to trash soccer, or start one of those awful soccer is the worst thing ever conversations. It is just my disappointment that I have seen it on, watched, tried to get in to it and not really been caught up in it or gained interest. Seeing that injury and the way it was handled made me want nothing to do with this event.

Edited by jboyst62

I know you don't know soccer but Mexico barely made it into the world cup. They will be thrilled with this draw.

I brought this up in the shoutbox. I got home and my thumb having its own brain when the TV turns on it goes right to ESPN. i see a guy picked up and put on a stretcher. The guy is sitting up smiling and happy, giving a thumbs up. Yet, being carried by 10 guys on a little stretcher.

That pretty much made me realize why I could never watch that sissy sport. If it was a high ankle sprain on a 350lbs. DL, he would be man enough walk off the field, at least with assistance from the trainers.

Dude was weak drama queen sissy for that stunt.

edit: don't take this as me trying to trash soccer, or start one of those awful soccer is the worst thing ever conversations. It is just my disappointment that I have seen it on, watched, tried to get in to it and not really been caught up in it or gained interest. Seeing that injury and the way it was handled made me want nothing to do with this event.

I already addressed this. Yes there is drama but the players have to get off the field quickly to limit the amount of stoppage.

I already addressed this. Yes there is drama but the players have to get off the field quickly to limit the amount of stoppage.

Oh, I get it. In football it's akin to my dislike of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Ray Lewis for their antics.

I know you don't know soccer but Mexico barely made it into the world cup. They will be thrilled with this draw.

I thought Mexico was good. Shows how little I know.

Does every player still take a knee when somebody gets hurts? That's what they did when I went to see my nephews play when they were young. God forbid one disrespects the fallen beautiful one!

;-P ;-P

I thought Mexico was good. Shows how little I know.

Does every player still take a knee when somebody gets hurts? That's what they did when I went to see my nephews play when they were young. God forbid one disrespects the fallen beautiful one!

;-P ;-P

Mexico has zero world cups...

Thanks! I thought they made the finals once or twice... That must have been the 1/4's. So in 84 years qualified in 60 of those year? I knew US didn't have a good team for a while, maybe it was just them making Mexico look better.

I guess they are happy with a 0-0 draw against the big dog Brazil!

LoL... That's pretty funny. Soccer players play in a kitchen? ;-P

Thanks! I thought they made the finals once or twice... That must have been the 1/4's. So in 84 years qualified in 60 of those year? I knew US didn't have a good team for a while, maybe it was just them making Mexico look better.

I guess they are happy with a 0-0 draw against the big dog Brazil!

LoL... That's pretty funny. Soccer players play in a kitchen? ;-P

They do qualify but the odds of them winning are impossible. Germans, Italians, Argentina and the Brazilians have this tournament locked down with a few flash in the pans.

They do qualify but the odds of them winning are impossible. Germans, Italians, Argentina and the Brazilians have this tournament locked down with a few flash in the pans.

Honestly... And serious now. What makes the Germans, Italians, Argentines, & Brazilians so much better? How do they do it and keep on winning? What's the secret? Obviously talent and conditioning... Is there something else that they are doing that make them so much better. It isn't like the other teams have slouches on them... They are world class too.

Honestly... And serious now. What makes the Germans, Italians, Argentines, & Brazilians so much better? How do they do it and keep on winning? What's the secret? Obviously talent and conditioning... Is there something else that they are doing that make them so much better. It isn't like the other teams have slouches on them... They are world class too.

Talent. Depth. Tactics.

If you look at most teams, they just don't have the depth and talent that these teams do. Germany, particularly, is scary deep in talent. When you have one of the best mid-fielders sitting out (Schweinsteiger) and are able to just move Lahm (normally plays full-back) into that position, and still look good. That's just something most teams can't do. The only potential problem is who replaces Lahm, Boateng who didn't look particularly strong. Can't have all-stars all over the field I guess.

Good games today.

Curious to see what Netherlands will show against Australia (noon ET).

And Spain vs. Chile at 3pm ET. Was the 5/1 loss a fluke or is the dream over?

It's difficult to know, it really boils down to the character of the leaders of the team. Some teams come out on determined to execute their game plan, others fold like the Iraqi army after such a humiliating defeat. My guess is that they'll play a good game, even though Chile is world renowned for it's tough defense. I'm thinking 2-1 Spain.

Netherlands I'm guessing will dominate. 3-0