Kaepernick Just Broke the Bank In San Fran

H2o

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/source-49ers-colin-kaepernick-contract-extension-2020/

49ers signed QB Colin Kaepernick to a six-year, $126 million contract extension through 2020.

It includes $61 million guaranteed. Bay Area Sports Guy had it first before NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed the money portion. Kaepernick gets $21 million annually in new money and sets the new quarterback record for guaranteed money, surpassing Peyton Manning by $3 million and Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler by $7 million.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... So much money for a guy that has a LONG way to go as a pocket passer. This is a huge gamble.

and the team around him is going to dip in quality some now - thats about 19m they have to trim from the payroll elsewhere when comparing the roster going forward to the last few years.

wilson will surely get similar.... itll be interesting to see if the those two teams remain at the top of the pile, or fall back to simply very good

I remember when SF fans were crying for Alex Smith back at the beginning of last year when Kap looked like Krap. lol.

and the team around him is going to dip in quality some now - thats about 19m they have to trim from the payroll elsewhere when comparing the roster going forward to the last few years.

wilson will surely get similar.... itll be interesting to see if the those two teams remain at the top of the pile, or fall back to simply very good

I think SF may be in a better spot than Seattle because they have had a ton of draft picks over the last couple years

It's the name of the game nowadays, pay the QB and pay him BIG ! It certainly creates more limited roster flexibility. In the end, good QB's are worth every penny. Get that position right and the rest is relatively easy to build. Not sure Kaepernick is worth all of that, but, I'd take him in a nano-second. Wilson will get paid, the interesting one to watch is Dalton in Cincy -- that is a conundrum

terrible deal, terrible.

what the hell has he done to deserve this? if he would have hit free agency, he'd be lucky to get $12mm/yr.

let this be a lesson to everyone that it is important to keep options open.

It's the name of the game nowadays, pay the QB and pay him BIG ! It certainly creates more limited roster flexibility. In the end, good QB's are worth every penny. Get that position right and the rest is relatively easy to build. Not sure Kaepernick is worth all of that, but, I'd take him in a nano-second. Wilson will get paid, the interesting one to watch is Dalton in Cincy -- that is a conundrum

dalton is one ive been pointing to as a tough one for awhile now.... it seems there is no second tier for starting QBs - if you are an established starter getting renewed, its 20m or bust.... at some point there has to be a 10-15m tier of qb, no? is it really to the point that its a Yes/No question and not any shades of judging ability? its such a wide gap for the vets from 18-22m down to 5ish or less. anyone in the middle that comes to mind is simply the tail end of an old contract.

Edited by NoSaint

terrible deal, terrible.

what the hell has he done to deserve this? if he would have hit free agency, he'd be lucky to get $12mm/yr.

Well thats just wildly wrong.

terrible deal, terrible.

Really? He's started two years and reached the NFC championship game twice and was a bad throw from winning a Super Bowl. He would have made close to this on the open market

dalton is one ive been pointing to as a tough one for awhile now.... it seems there is no second tier for starting QBs - if you are an established starter getting renewed, its 20m or bust.... at some point there has to be a 10-15m tier of qb, no? is it really to the point that its a Yes/No question and not any shades of judging ability? its such a wide gap for the vets from 18-22m down to 5ish or less. anyone in the middle that comes to mind is simply the tail end of an old contract.

That's a good point -- it's either $15M+ or you are a backup -- no such thing as a QB middle-class --

I think it is the exact opposite...get a great QB in the draft, pay him relatively small amounts compared to the older guys, build the team around him with the extra cash.

Seems to me that is how the most successful teams are being built in the short tearm

Wilson last tear, Flacco year before.

Edited by plenzmd1

Really? He's started two years and reached the NFC championship game twice and was a bad throw from winning a Super Bowl. He would have made close to this on the open market

Also a bad read from winning the Super Bowl last year too. If the Niners win against Seattle, they would also have beaten Denver easily. But, of course, you can make the argument that those two critical errors make him worth less.

I think it is the exact opposite...get a great QB in the draft, pay him relatively small amounts compared to the older guys, build the team around him with the extra cash.

Seems to me that is how the most successful teams are being built in the short tearm

Wilson last tear, Flacco year before.

That works for the first 5 years until they get to their 2nd deal -- so, yes, in that sense, it works, but is not sustainable because it's not like you can not resign them and draft another one, they are too hard to find. Case in point, the Bills.

Also a bad read from winning the Super Bowl last year too. If the Niners win against Seattle, they would also have beaten Denver easily. But, of course, you can make the argument that those two critical errors make him worth less.

You can correct a bad read. Kaep has tons of talent and has shown a great ability in the last 2 years. San Fran ad to make the deal but Kaep is worth it