Just watched Super Bowl XXV, I now blame the review, not Norwood.

Not that it was Scott's fault anyway. He was 1 for 5 beyond 40 yards on natural turf. He was doomed.

But a few plays earlier, Jim hit McKellar, who made a shoestring catch. Following that, the Bills lined up and Kelly had his hands under center and the clock was at 31 seconds. The refs called for a review on the catch, called it good, and Kelly lined up in shotgun with the clock now at

29 seconds. And it started running. Kelly got the snap at 26 seconds.

They lost 5-6 seconds of action.

Maybe they would have run another play with 13 or 14 seconds instead of a 47 yard field goal attempt.

The review cost them 5 or 6 seconds.

Too much passing against Belichick's defense and not enough Thurman Thomas is why the Bills lost SB XXV. Same damn thing when the Rams lost to the Patriots in the SB when the stubborn Mike Martz wouldn't feed the ball to Marshall Faulk.

Too much passing against Belichick's defense and not enough Thurman Thomas is why the Bills lost SB XXV. Same damn thing when the Rams lost to the Patriots in the SB when the stubborn Mike Martz wouldn't feed the ball to Marshall Faulk.

This.

You can always find a million reasons a close one doesn't go your way and vice versa.

The bills had a ton of talent that they failed to exploit and weren't tough enough to deliver against a big tough opponent.

The fact they put Norwood in the spot to save a game they failed to win is nice but they were physically out matched that day.

I watched the same replay too, first time I've seen the game in its entirety. I think the fact that McKellar even caught the ball was a huge waste of time. The waste of 5-6 seconds between the catch and them lining up was not worth the 5 yards it got them. then you add the 5 seconds that was wasted because of the review and that's 10 seconds wasted because of the catch.

I agree that there were other factors in the game. Kelly calling timeout at the 47 instead of spiking the ball was not that wise either. Lining him up for a kick that he had virtually no chance of making was a big factor too.

Not Scott's fault, though. Laces not turned forward hurt too.

Well if we stopped them in the 3rd quarter, we could have won that game. it's 23 years ago. Time to let it go.

I know it sucks. That was the only one where we were close. I just moved to Tampa 6 days before, and watched it across the street at the then Tampa Bay Mall. They had a movie screen on the wall of the mall, and the radio stations were blasting audio.

It was awesome for a 23 yr old kid who didn't have the money to go to the game, but hanging with 15,000 fans in the parking lot. The mall has since been taken down, and now is One Bucs Place, and is state of the art for a practice facility.

Belichick huh?

While I agree Kelly was too stubborn early in the game and Marchibroda did a crap job of helping him see the field and what was available, we still managed 19 points in 20 minutes of possession time. Bellyache gets credit for some genius scheme when nothing could be further from the truth. He was lucky Kelly picked a good day to be an idiot.

No matter how you slice it, our pathetic performance on defense lost that game. Specifically when they gave up 10 minutes of possession time to end the first half and another 10 minutes to start the second half.

GO BILLS!!!

Been a while since I have watched the entire game. The biggest things I remember from the game are not the problems on offense (although there were definite issues). Heck, they had the ball for 19 minutes and scored 19 points. A point per minute of possession isn't too bad. But, there were definitely missed opportunities. Thomas was a beast in that game and couldn't be stopped. He should have seen the ball a lot more.

However, the main reason we lost that game, although there were several contributing factors, was that the defense simply couldn't get off the field. Several 3rd and long situations and they just couldn't get the job done. I just remember missed tackels after missed tackles. Just stupid mistakes kept the Giants on the field and Kelly and Company standing on the sidelines. Can't win games if your offense can't get on the field.

Yeah, there were a lot of things that were mesed up in this game. The Bills were the better team (by miles) and if they played 10 times, I think the Bills would probably win 8 of them. But, on that day, the attention to detail and lack of fundamentals really came back to bite them. I will never get those images out of my head of our defense just failing to wrap up and make the tackles that should have been routine. They get off the field even 1 or 2 more times, we win the game and "Wide Right" never happens.

i have never watched even a clip of that game since the day it happened. perhaps i will allow myself that pleasure after the bills super bowl parade.

That's right. And not one !@#$ing day earlier.

The last time I saw the entire game was 1/27/1991. With that said, the game was lost well before the final drive. Bad tackling and a failure to strip Jeff hostedler in the end zone lost that game. Failure to get off the field on 3rd down ruined us.

The last time I saw the entire game was 1/27/1991. With that said, the game was lost well before the final drive. Bad tackling and a failure to strip Jeff hostedler in the end zone lost that game. Failure to get off the field on 3rd down ruined us.

Can't fault Smitty for getting s safety-sack

Ironically if kick was ruled good, margin of victory is 2 points the safety is the difference. Goat is then jumbo elliot who both tripped hostetler and got blown away by Smitty.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This.

Wow, it really is the slow season of the year for football fans if we are talking about stuff like this.