Brady vs The Clock

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your body starts to change when you are 35 or so. You don't recover from injury (or a game where you are knocked around) as fast, your hangovers are worse, and your reflexes slow down. It doesn't happen overnight, but it happens. I say he has 2 years left, max.

Guys have better conditioning, diets, training, etc., etc. than they did a generation ago, so reasonable to expect they'd last longer.

Now factor in the modern rules protecting QBs, the extra rules for Brady and Manning, and the fact that NE has maintained a top notch OL for a decade, and the fact that Brady never runs, and you find that Brady has remarkably little wear and tear for a guy in his 15th year. As long as he still has the drive -- which he certainly seems to have -- I'd say 3 more seasons is a certainty, and 4 or 5 is possible.

Before Brady turned pro he was asked a question about his motivation from his college roommate.

Brady tells his roommate that his only goal is to be rich enough to buy/wear brand new socks everyday, because there is no better feeling than wear fresh brand new socks.

Before Brady turned pro he was asked a question about his motivation from his college roommate.

Brady tells his roommate that his only goal is to be rich enough to buy/wear brand new socks everyday, because there is no better feeling than wear fresh brand new socks.

That's true, but !@#$ing one of the hottest chicks in the world is probably pretty good too.

Why is it depressing? Bottom line you can't worry about what other teams do, the BILLS must become so bad ass teams worry about them. This concept has been missed by every Bills fan for years now. 1988-1994 We didn't give a rats ass who NE, NYJ or Miami drafted, signed etc. We just lined up and knew more often than not we would beat their asses.

Time to get back to that.

Kellyto83TD - yup.

WRT the topic at hand, history is not on Brady's side. The drop off in QB production from age 36 to 37 is precipitous. Brady may become an outlier, but there is really no evidence to suggest he will be.

For some reason I can't embed this chart, but here are the all time numbers - the age 36 to 37 drop off is the most alarming. There is no reason to believe Brady will be any different.

http://www.profootba...posite01_sm.jpg

Edited by Thurmal34

It's hard to predict what age it will come apart. But it always does. Usually without warning.

Brett Favre played at an MVP level at age 40, with his team on the verge of a Super Bowl.

At 41, he was completely shot.

It would be silly to discount Brady, just because he's 37. It's possible he could go another few years before his play drops.

It would be equally silly to assume he can play at a high level forever, just because he feels good or because several other players were successful past 37.

Brady has already lost some on his deep out and accuracy on bombs. Right now he makes up for that with his decision making. I think this is his last decent year. The year after he will drop off the cliff and likely retire in the offseason. He won't continue to play if he thinks he's not playing at a high level.

Damn. I thought the title was "Brady vs. the Glock" and got excited, thinking Aron Hernandez was released.

I misread it as something else entirely. I thought Sam had inspired him to finally come out of the closet.

I say he makes it to 40. He's still a heck of a QB. Once you hit 40, the body does not recover as well. Part of his dip in production was related to his WR. I didn't see him decline, rather he had nobodies to throw to all year, and he even made that work at 12-4.

I'm not a Pats fan, but I respect the guy. I like Kelly's comment about us improving our team. I'd rather beat the guy vs. start winning after he retires. That would be very deflating.

He has at least another 3 seasons in him IF he stays healthy. That's a very big if though. I don't care who you are: the human body doesn't bounce back at 37 from injury/fatigue as quickly as it did in your mid 20's.

The NFL is a young man's game and every year more athletic freaks are drafted into the league. Let's see how a 37 year old Brady handles 330 lbs of Marcell Dareus burying him into the turf.

Putting Brady on the ground has really been the only effective way of stopping him. Consistent pressure and hits get to him. This defense has been built to do just that