Tim Graham's Article in TBN

Stayin :thumbsup:

I agree. Schumer can make a lot of noise with senate inquiries on various issues with the NFL including the concussion issues, the anti- trust, the fact the NFL is stipulated as a non-profit, and so on.

The nightmare for me is an owner buys the team, NYS does not build a stadium claiming they have no money, but simply upgrades the Ralph, and the new owner sits and waits 10 years and sells it to another owner making a ton of money as the TV money is climbing rapidly, and we lose the Bills in 2023.

That is why NYS has to build a stadium. A new stadium will be linked to a 30 year iron clad lease. Then we will have our beloved Bills for the rest of my life.

How many upstate tax dollars have paid for infrastructure improvements in NYC? I don't live there anymore, but just remember my dad my whole life complaining how his tax dollars get funneled to downstate. It's time we get that billion dollar stadium, then a few hundred more million offer 10 years improving the infrastructure of Niagara Falls.

Yup on the 30 year lease ! It wouldnt be decade to decade, year to year or any of that stuff weve had to put up with.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Schumer can make a lot of noise with senate inquiries on various issues with the NFL including the concussion issues, the anti- trust, the fact the NFL is stipulated as a non-profit, and so on.

The nightmare for me is an owner buys the team, NYS does not build a stadium claiming they have no money, but simply upgrades the Ralph, and the new owner sits and waits 10 years and sells it to another owner making a ton of money as the TV money is climbing rapidly, and we lose the Bills in 2023.

That is why NYS has to build a stadium. A new stadium will be linked to a 30 year iron clad lease. Then we will have our beloved Bills for the rest of my life.

How many upstate tax dollars have paid for infrastructure improvements in NYC? I don't live there anymore, but just remember my dad my whole life complaining how his tax dollars get funneled to downstate. It's time we get that billion dollar stadium, then a few hundred more million offer 10 years improving the infrastructure of Niagara Falls.

He was right. In the mid-70s, there was talk of NYC becoming it's own state because of that very issue. NYC was in trouble and a ton of people west of there resented having to bail them out all the time.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm unsure how serious they would take a backroom threat from Schumer, but I do know for a fact how serious the NFL considers the anti-trust issue and they would never do anything to upset that apple cart.

Schumer is very powerful in Washington. The threat of his wrath is very real to Goodel I am sure.

This gets repeated endlessly here. No senator is going to mess with the NFLs status. And you wouldn't want it to unless you want the Bills to leave Buffalo.

Also, the lease prevents the Bills from leaving for aother 6-7 years, so it doesn't really figure into Cuomo's re-election (or 2016 presidential) plans.

This gets repeated endlessly here. No senator is going to mess with the NFLs status. And you wouldn't want it to unless you want the Bills to leave Buffalo.

Also, the lease prevents the Bills from leaving for aother 6-7 years, so it doesn't really figure into Cuomo's re-election (or 2016 presidential) plans.

I am curious who the NFL has lobbying for them.

It got repeated 4x in the Front Page article - not here!!!! Its you who simply wants to ignore the fact that the NFL has a few controversial legal issues that benefit them - and they prefer very much not to even talk about let alone have litigated. Just the threat is enough...

Again - for your sake - from the ARTICLE - either you never bothered to read the article or you read it and simply ignore the multiple sources

Four well-placed sources The Buffalo News spoke with about the Bills’ long-term status were skeptical the NFL would dare upset Cuomo and Schumer and permit the team to leave Western New York.

The NFL isn’t in the business of flouting political juice. Cuomo could run for president in 2016. Schumer is the popular, third-ranking Senate Democrat. To let the Bills leave would cause the NFL, with its headquarters in Manhattan, to lose those influential allies and practically beg for added scrutiny on controversial issues.

Edited by jahbonas

Please don't blast me for this, it is just a thought. I know that fans can't own the team, like in Green Bay, but could fans own all or part of a stadium?

not a bad question to ask but maybe you're looking at it too deep. Technically, we already own the Bills stadium. The stadium is owned by Erie County and thus is owned by taxpayers.

not a bad question to ask but maybe you're looking at it too deep. Technically, we already own the Bills stadium. The stadium is owned by Erie County and thus is owned by taxpayers.

Yeah, but there are always tax payers that object to using public funds. This funding would be voluntary. There are also a lot of Bills fans that don't live in Erie County or in my case even in NY State.

All the points are valid , for my money the Nfl would fear a steriods like circus , if Schumer holds day after day after hearing on concussions. When did they know, who knew, and dear lord how will it effect the children. The media will have a field day.

Night after night one punch drunk ex player after another on T.v detail the horrors of their current situation.

I am curious who the NFL has lobbying for them.

They don't need much of a lobby. The anti-trust is the third rail of pro sports.

Its you who simply wants to ignore the fact that the NFL has a few controversial legal issues that benefit them - and they prefer very much not to even talk about let alone have litigated. Just the threat is enough...

Again - for your sake - from the ARTICLE - either you never bothered to read the article or you read it and simply ignore the multiple sources

Four well-placed sources The Buffalo News spoke with about the Bills’ long-term status were skeptical the NFL would dare upset Cuomo and Schumer and permit the team to leave Western New York.

The NFL isn’t in the business of flouting political juice. Cuomo could run for president in 2016. Schumer is the popular, third-ranking Senate Democrat. To let the Bills leave would cause the NFL, with its headquarters in Manhattan, to lose those influential allies and practically beg for added scrutiny on controversial issues.

Yeah, well those "contorversial issues" do not include ending the NFL's antitrust status.

Look, let's make this easy--what do you think would happen if in the NFL, like in the MLB and NBA, teams were allowed to negotiate their own TV contracts? In other words, no League contract, no shared TV revenue. What do you suppose would happen to a team like Buffalo? Which teams do you think the national networks would pay the most to televise? How do you imagine the league would change? Are you getting it now?

OK, now tell which member of the US Senate wants to be known as the one who destroyed the most popular sport and league in the country? I'm pretty sure it's not Schumer.

The reality is that if the Bills left town tomorrow, Schumer would still be re-elected in a landslide--and he knows it. He's pandering to guys like you who think he would sink his career to "save" the Bills.

They don't need much of a lobby. The anti-trust is the third rail of pro sports.

Yeah, well those "contorversial issues" do not include ending the NFL's antitrust status.

Look, let's make this easy--what do you think would happen if in the NFL, like in the MLB and NBA, teams were allowed to negotiate their own TV contracts? In other words, no League contract, no shared TV revenue. What do you suppose would happen to a team like Buffalo? Which teams do you think the national networks would pay the most to televise? How do you imagine the league would change? Are you getting it now?

OK, now tell which member of the US Senate wants to be known as the one who destroyed the most popular sport and league in the country? I'm pretty sure it's not Schumer.

The reality is that if the Bills left town tomorrow, Schumer would still be re-elected in a landslide--and he knows it. He's pandering to guys like you who think he would sink his career to "save" the Bills.

Save it for the 4 well placed sources whose statements directly conflict with your own personal guesses.

The Buff news actually reached out and interviewed multiple people very much in the know before sharing their article/ opinion - please share with us the experts you reached out to before arriving at your personal guess?

And please excuse us for accepting the opinions of the 4 well placed sources.

Senators will do anything that is in their best interest. The players have sued the NFL over anti-trust several times over the years, won twice big time, and did it again as recently as 2011. There are a lot of elements to it, and Schumer wouldn't at all need to be the one that ruined the NFL.

All I am saying is that it's sacred to them, and you are right the owners need it for the league to be so successful. That is why they are over protective of it, and will go to enormous lengths to make sure nothing messes with it. Schumer could make a statement or threat and get another senator on board from a state without an NFL team and the NFL could be 99% sure that he is bluffing and still may not want to risk that 1%. It's that important, and it's also true that the NFL likes the Bills in Buffalo. He and Cuomo definitely wield some power.

And there are more issues than the anti-trust that the NFL would want political cover for. Remove that incredible perk of non-profit status and see these owners get double taxed -ouch !!

The unknowns ahead regarding concussion lawsuits...

Yeah, but there are always tax payers that object to using public funds. This funding would be voluntary. There are also a lot of Bills fans that don't live in Erie County or in my case even in NY State.

That is the general premise of PSLs. You voluntarily buy the right to buy a seat. That license in turn funds a large part of the stadium.

From Sunday's News

Another hopeful sign. Also discusses why LA is not ready for a NFL Team

http://www.buffalone...-to-la-20140524

I don't want this to turn into a Tim Graham bash fest, but wasn't he the one who kept repeating in the News, on the radio and on twitter after Ralph passed that the Bills chances of staying we're slim to none?

That is the general premise of PSLs. You voluntarily buy the right to buy a seat. That license in turn funds a large part of the stadium.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure PSLs, while paid for by fans, shows up in the "team contribution" category. For example, when someone above mentioned Jerry Jones was on the hook for $350 M of the stadium, he just turned around and funded his contributions with PSLs.

I think Chris Heff is saying some Bills fan group (like the one that's attempting to put the no interest loans/Bills bonds together) should actually turn around and think about using that money towards partially funding a new stadium rather than give the money directly to the owner. I think the NFL would be happier to see this be done rather than the loan to the owner.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

You mean that you voluntarily pay for the obligation to continuously buy season tickets.

I think the Cuomo/Schumer point is a very strong one. The NFL has made billions from tax payer support. One day they will push it too far and the political backlash (recision of very favorable tax and anti trust laws) will be severe. People like Jerry Jones act like NFL owners live in shanties in the worst part of their respective cities. Lets hope our politicians swing their weight and put people like Jerra in their place.

I've been saying this all along, that the NFL doesn't want anything to do with being on the bad side of Schumer, but others thought it was no big deal...apparently they were wrong, lol

Ive been saying it to. People like Jerry jones are just dumb enough to think they can piss the wrong people off and continue to get away with it. If New York is willing to fund a new stadium it would be inexcusable for the NFL to leave. That would be greed at its worst. I doubt Jerra and Napolean(Daniel Snyder) want Shcumer and Cuomo as enemies.

All the points are valid , for my money the Nfl would fear a steriods like circus , if Schumer holds day after day after hearing on concussions. When did they know, who knew, and dear lord how will it effect the children. The media will have a field day.

Night after night one punch drunk ex player after another on T.v detail the horrors of their current situation.

If the Republicans retake the Senate this fall, Schumer won't be holding any hearings about anything for a while. From the US Senate's own website:

https://www.senate.gov/general/common/generic/about_committees.htm

The chair of each committee and a majority of its members represent the majority party. The chair primarily controls a committee's business. Each party assigns its own members to committees, and each committee distributes its members among its subcommittees.

Opinions vary on how likely it is that the Senate will change hands this fall.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

You mean that you voluntarily pay for the obligation to continuously buy season tickets.

Season tickets and any other events held in the stadium, before the general public can get tickets.