Tim Graham's Article in TBN

From Sunday's News

A powerful sports-business insider, who wanted to remain anonymous because of his many connections to parties involved, stressed to The Buffalo News that New York’s political wherewithal is “the most important and least reported facet” of the Bills’ long-term future.

Four well-placed sources The Buffalo News spoke with about the Bills’ long-term status were skeptical the NFL would dare upset Cuomo and Schumer and permit the team to leave Western New York.

The NFL isn’t in the business of flouting political juice. Cuomo could run for president in 2016. Schumer is the popular, third-ranking Senate Democrat. To let the Bills leave would cause the NFL, with its headquarters in Manhattan, to lose those influential allies and practically beg for added scrutiny on controversial issues.

Another hopeful sign. Also discusses why LA is not ready for a NFL Team

http://www.buffalone...-to-la-20140524

Edited by BRAWNDO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Sunday's News

Another hopeful sign. Also discusses why LA is not ready for a NFL Team

http://www.buffalone...-to-la-20140524

I've been saying this all along, that the NFL doesn't want anything to do with being on the bad side of Schumer, but others thought it was no big deal...apparently they were wrong, lol

I also think it helps that it is an election year for Cuomo plus he may have aspirations for higher office. Having the Bills sold to a new owner that wants to move the team out of New York State would not look good. Even worse for him would be having a new owner want to keep the Bills in Buffalo but not getting any state support for a new stadium.

I'm unsure how serious they would take a backroom threat from Schumer, but I do know for a fact how serious the NFL considers the anti-trust issue and they would never do anything to upset that apple cart.

Schumer is very powerful in Washington. The threat of his wrath is very real to Goodel I am sure.

I agree. Schumer can make a lot of noise with senate inquiries on various issues with the NFL including the concussion issues, the anti- trust, the fact the NFL is stipulated as a non-profit, and so on.

The nightmare for me is an owner buys the team, NYS does not build a stadium claiming they have no money, but simply upgrades the Ralph, and the new owner sits and waits 10 years and sells it to another owner making a ton of money as the TV money is climbing rapidly, and we lose the Bills in 2023.

That is why NYS has to build a stadium. A new stadium will be linked to a 30 year iron clad lease. Then we will have our beloved Bills for the rest of my life.

How many upstate tax dollars have paid for infrastructure improvements in NYC? I don't live there anymore, but just remember my dad my whole life complaining how his tax dollars get funneled to downstate. It's time we get that billion dollar stadium, then a few hundred more million offer 10 years improving the infrastructure of Niagara Falls.

I have to trust Cuomo to give major funding for a new stadium or the next owner could move when the lease allows. Ideal way would be for new owner to be so rich , he would pay for the new stadium himself.

I agree. Schumer can make a lot of noise with senate inquiries on various issues with the NFL including the concussion issues, the anti- trust, the fact the NFL is stipulated as a non-profit, and so on.

The nightmare for me is an owner buys the team, NYS does not build a stadium claiming they have no money, but simply upgrades the Ralph, and the new owner sits and waits 10 years and sells it to another owner making a ton of money as the TV money is climbing rapidly, and we lose the Bills in 2023.

That is why NYS has to build a stadium. A new stadium will be linked to a 30 year iron clad lease. Then we will have our beloved Bills for the rest of my life.

How many upstate tax dollars have paid for infrastructure improvements in NYC? I don't live there anymore, but just remember my dad my whole life complaining how his tax dollars get funneled to downstate. It's time we get that billion dollar stadium, then a few hundred more million offer 10 years improving the infrastructure of Niagara Falls.

Common sense would tell you that New York City is the economic engine of New York State. Buffalo can't even support itself. That old cannard about WNY supporting NYC simply isn't true.

As for the Bills future it will never be 100% certain forever and ever. All we can do is take steps to secure it a decade at a time. I seriously doubt we would come this far and not get a stadium built though I'm sure there will be some back and forth on how much the new owner should contribute and where it should be built.

Should be downtown but NF and Milstein can't be ignored.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

""And what if Schumer woke up one morning and decided to hold hearings about the NFL’s antitrust labor exemption, a hard-to-believe nonprofit status or the FCC’s controversial blackout rules?"

The NFL is a non-profit? You must be joking.

Edited by vincec

""And what if Schumer woke up one morning and decided to hold hearings about the NFL’s antitrust labor exemption, a hard-to-believe nonprofit status or the FCC’s controversial blackout rules?"

Surprise, it is.

I have to trust Cuomo to give major funding for a new stadium or the next owner could move when the lease allows. Ideal way would be for new owner to be so rich , he would pay for the new stadium himself.

Wasn't Jerry Jones in that position? How much of his $$$ did he fork over that palatial stadium?

Common sense would tell you that New York City is the economic engine of New York State. Buffalo can't even support itself. That old cannard about WNY supporting NYC simply isn't true.

As for the Bills future it will never be 100% certain forever and ever. All we can do is take steps to secure it a decade at a time. I seriously doubt we would come this far and not get a stadium built though I'm sure there will be some back and forth on how much the new owner should contribute and where it should be built.

Should be downtown but NF and Milstein can't be ignored.

If all the very cheap hydro power stayed in WNY , this area would be all set.

My understanding is that the NFL is a non-profit. The money from television contracts, merchandise and other income that goes directly to the NFL is not taxed. Once that money is distributed to the individual team's, they are considered income, and taxed accordingly to each teams tax situation. This would preclude the income from being taxed twice. Once by the NFL and then by each team owner. I may be wrong, but that is how i think it works.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

Wasn't Jerry Jones in that position? How much of his $$$ did he fork over that palatial stadium?

Hardly anything.

The City of Arlington provided over $933 million (including interest) in bonds as funding, and Jones covered any cost overruns. The NFL also provided the Cowboys with an additional $150 million, as per their policy for giving teams a certain lump sum of money for stadium financing

Yeah, the NFL itself has some sort of status as a confederation of individual businesses (the 32 franchises) and in and of itself is a non-profit, though not in the traditional churches-schools-museums 501c(3) vein. It's actually a 501c(6). Forbes had a good write up on it.

Definition of a 501c6:

Business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, boards of trade, or professional football leagues (whether or not administering a pension fund for football players), not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2013/06/01/nfl-as-tax-exempt-less-than-meets-the-eye/

Edited by jimmyo

It is estimated the Dallas Stadium cost 1.15-1.2 Billion to complete. The City of Arlington put up 350 Million, The NFL 150 Million so the rest was on Jones which was about 650-700 Million

Conflicting reports!!!

I think yours is right thought after looking around.