New stadium = good-bye to tailgating?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my biggest fear about the new stadium stuff. Fall Sundays at the Ralph are one of my favorite things in the world. Obviously the team staying in WNY is priority 1 but I really hope we don't lose the tailgating scene.

The NFL is already losing a lot of people to TV of they keep digging for more $ from the people that actually attend games, before too long there will be more than a few teams that will have trouble filling the seats.

First, Jeremy White's logic rarely impresses me. Second, just because there will be a new stadium and just because the owners don't directly make money off of tailgating doesn't necessarily mean tailgating as we know it will end.

The fate of tailgating in Buffalo will be dependent upon which stadium site is chosen, which will largely be decided by the new owner. Keep in mind that revenues from parking on the stadium complex ARE a potential revenue source that can be reaped by ownership, so to that extent, a site that offers parking can be an important factor in the site selection decision.

Bottom line, it's far too early to declare Buffalo tailgating's demise.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

If they move the stadium downtown, or NF. Tailgating is over. At least as we know it. It'll be like corporate beer tents for our foreseeable future.

Which is why I'd rather perform a Chicago Bears, GB Packers, KC Chiefs type renovation on the Ralph. Add another level over the end zones on top of the scoreboards or something. But keep the team playing where they are.

If they move the stadium downtown, or NF. Tailgating is over. At least as we know it. It'll be like corporate beer tents for our foreseeable future.

Why? Seems to be both potential sites have plenty of land, not like Pittsburgh where the stadium is landlocked...

Even if the NFL tries they won't be able to kill Buffalo tailgating!!!

If the site can hold 10,000 cars at $40 apiece, 10 home games would net the new owner $4 million per season in easy revenue.

$4m is like buying a pizza to these guys. Would be worth it to not even bother with the $4m because then you have to deal with the issues the lots can cause. Liability. Etc..

It will undoubtedly be different. The NFL measures per cap (basically the average spend of a patron once they are in the stadium). There are conflicting theories on what best drives per caps. Is it better to keep people sober so that they $ can be spent inside or are you better off with people having a few drinks prior and trying to "keep it going." Obviously fan behavior and such plays a role in this. I do not know the per cap of an NFL but the highest in the league in the NBA was about $13 a head (at least a few years ago). I would imagine that the NFL is slightly higher because the games are almost always played on weekends and are about a half hour longer. With that being said less people eat in the stadium so it may not end up higher. I really don't know.

What I do know is that they will try to get a larger portion of this money. They will try to grow the food sales and alcohol sales. This happens by having nicer stadium ammenities, food options (better quality), and a fun environment. You will see large sports bars with bands playing, etc... If they can drive that per cap from $13 to $20 by doing this you are talking an additional $4.9M a year (if you do 70,000 & 10 games). Obviously that is a high end estimate but not unrealistic. Those are the kind of things that are being discussed.

Lastly, to take it 1 step further if Jeremy Jacobs were to be the new owner you are cutting out a layer. He will be getting the team cut of the revenue and the concessionaire cut of the revenue. He can either charge a little lower prices (unlikely) or have extremely high profit margins compared to other stadiums or arenas.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I have been to Lucas Oil and Cleveland Browns stadium recently. Both are downtown. The tailgating scene at Lucas Oil is kind of spotty. It is mostly corporate sponsored party tents and then a lot of people are in the bars until right before kickoff/ In Cleveland, there was a lot of tailgating, but it is spread out into many small lots. I am not sure if others have also been there and had the same or different experience, but it was very different from Buffalo.

Of course, I wouldn't complain if it meant the Bills staying.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is my biggest fear about the new stadium stuff. Fall Sundays at the Ralph are one of my favorite things in the world. Obviously the team staying in WNY is priority 1 but I really hope we don't lose the tailgating scene.

The NFL is already losing a lot of people to TV of they keep digging for more $ from the people that actually attend games, before too long there will be more than a few teams that will have trouble filling the seats.

They move or you lose tailgating...Choose.

$4m is like buying a pizza to these guys. Would be worth it to not even bother with the $4m because then you have to deal with the issues the lots can cause. Liability. Etc..

^^

This. Like I told another poster, team moves or you lose tailgating because of a new stadium and the rules that will keep the team here. Choose. Its coming folks. The Bills already tightened tailgating down and if you didn't see this coming I don't know what to tell you.

^^

This. Like I told another poster, team moves or you lose tailgating because of a new stadium and the rules that will keep the team here. Choose. Its coming folks. The Bills already tightened tailgating down and if you didn't see this coming I don't know what to tell you.

This had absolutely nothing to do with a new stadium--it had to do with bad publicity stemming from DWIs, etc.

Three reasons why Toronto won't work as a Bills relocation...1. the fan base won't go to the non tailgate environment of downtown toronto 2.. Many US fans do not have passports 3. the toronto fans of the bills that have been touted by Jerry Jones don't exist....witness the lack of attendance at the bills toronto series.

If Bills fans keep drowning in creeks and falling out of the upper deck, it won't matter where the stadium is located, tailgating will be shut down.

My thoughts exactly. I'm getting beyond the "get crazy at 9am" years anyway and will start bringing my kids to games in the next 5-10 years, so I can honestly say I'm ok with it. You can get drunk in a field anywhere. I'd rather have a team.

My thoughts exactly. I'm getting beyond the "get crazy at 9am" years anyway and will start bringing my kids to games in the next 5-10 years, so I can honestly say I'm ok with it. You can get drunk in a field anywhere. I'd rather have a team.

This new club seat owner agrees.

(ducks and hides)

Tailgating is a "new" concept. By new I mean, there was no tailgating at the Rockpile! Somehow we managed to enjoy the games.

I know there are generations of fans who can't identify with a game without tailgating, but it can be done, if necessary.