What was greatest decade of nfl football?

major

70's because of steel curtain, raiders were relevant and got away with the bad boy image, cowboys were good and last time they had any class with staubach and Landry. Oj first back to get 2000 (still only one in 14 games)

2nd was new millennium with pats and rivalries with colts (Manning vs Brady) and steelers, and grudge matches with also-rans like chargers. Super bowl drama with close wins and epic defeat against giants. People can hate all they want but the dynasty pats put together (still going strong), their style of play back then, and the overall history was amazing.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1960's and the AFL, I still look back in awe at the football played and the slow but steady growth of the upstart league.

The old Buffalo - Boston rivalry, Curt Gowdy doing the games on NBC and the wide open offensive game.

Watching mud bowls and snow games at War Memorial.

In August 1967 the Lions came to the old Rockpile (first NFL Team to come to Buffalo) for a pre - season game and both teams play like it was a playoff game. I was at my home in NT listening to Van Miller and you could hear his voice echoing throughout the neighborhood. The Bills traded Lamonica in the off season and Tom Flores was having a great night until he got hurt. The home crowd boo'ed Jack Kemp as he came on the field, Kemp merely threw a 69 yard bomb to Elbert Dubenion changing the catcalls into cheers. Iron Mike Ditka dragged and clawed his way to the end zone for an 89 yard TD after catching a slant pattern.

Back then the players were normal guys who worked off season jobs and were just good guys.

I was at the 1969 home opener against the SB Champ Jets; Buffalo crowd gave them a huge standing O.

Golden era of Football! Even the hated NFL was fun to watch - Jimmy Brown, Packers, Cowboys - never dull.

Ditka never played for the Lions. Other than that I agree. Upstart league giving arrogant NFL a run for their money. A whole lot of great players.

The 1960's and the AFL, I still look back in awe at the football played and the slow but steady growth of the upstart league.

The old Buffalo - Boston rivalry, Curt Gowdy doing the games on NBC and the wide open offensive game.

Watching mud bowls and snow games at War Memorial.

In August 1967 the Lions came to the old Rockpile (first NFL Team to come to Buffalo) for a pre - season game and both teams play like it was a playoff game. I was at my home in NT listening to Van Miller and you could hear his voice echoing throughout the neighborhood. The Bills traded Lamonica in the off season and Tom Flores was having a great night until he got hurt. The home crowd boo'ed Jack Kemp as he came on the field, Kemp merely threw a 69 yard bomb to Elbert Dubenion changing the catcalls into cheers. Iron Mike Ditka dragged and clawed his way to the end zone for an 89 yard TD after catching a slant pattern.

Back then the players were normal guys who worked off season jobs and were just good guys.

I was at the 1969 home opener against the SB Champ Jets; Buffalo crowd gave them a huge standing O.

Golden era of Football! Even the hated NFL was fun to watch - Jimmy Brown, Packers, Cowboys - never dull.

Sorry can't help myself, in 1967 Bills played Lions in Detroit. The Eagles came to the Old Rock Pile. Ditka played for the Eagles in 1967.

Here's another vote for the 1970s. The hairdos alone would seal it for me.

Plus the rise of TV and Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell.

The Steelers/Raiders/Dolphins/Cowboys of that era are all time teams.

And so are the VIkings to me. The Purple People Eaters - Alan Page and Carl Eller. Fran Tarkenton (favorite player as a kid), Chuck Foreman, Ahmad Rashad, Sammy White. Four Super Bowls no wins (an obvious mark of greatness).

The OJ years for the Bills.

It was an era that combined the tough play of the 50s/60s with hints of the aerial ballet that would emerge in the 80s/90s. A beautiful hybrid.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Ditka never played for the Lions. Other than that I agree. Upstart league giving arrogant NFL a run for their money. A whole lot of great players.

You are correct, my mistake it was the Philadelphia Eagles - Bills played Lions in Detroit opening pre - season game. I stand corrected.

If you're a Bills fan, has to be the 60's and 90's. The 90's speak for themselves. But back in the 60's, you had a different ball player. You had a different fan base as well. Most of those players in the 60's did play mainly for the love of the game. Very few got "rich" playing it. The stadium experience was way different in the 60's too. K-9, what do you think?

70s. Lots of great teams that were not destroyed by free agency and instead were allowed to be great year after year.

Here's another vote for the 1970s. The hairdos alone would seal it for me.

Plus the rise of TV and Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell.

The Steelers/Raiders/Dolphins/Cowboys of that era are all time teams.

And so are the VIkings to me. The Purple People Eaters - Alan Page and Carl Eller. Fran Tarkenton (favorite player as a kid), Chuck Foreman, Ahmad Rashad, Sammy White. Four Super Bowls no wins (an obvious mark of greatness).

The OJ years for the Bills.

It was an era that combined the tough play of the 50s/60s with hints of the aerial ballet that would emerge in the 80s/90s. A beautiful hybrid.

And what about the rams who won 10+ games for 7/8 years (5 in a 14 game season) and almost won Super Bowl the year they won 9.

70's probably. The league had matured after the merger and was starting to take off in popularity on TV and with Monday Night Football. It was still very affordable and blue collar and not that corporate. The players made less than many fans. I was a little kid but remember going to games at Rich Stadium. The Bills were not great that decade, but the league was getting great.

Sorry can't help myself, in 1967 Bills played Lions in Detroit. The Eagles came to the Old Rock Pile. Ditka played for the Eagles in 1967.

You are correct.

It was only 47 years ago.

Thats for the reminder, now I'm not only drunk but feeling senile.

The 1980's Bills were also alot of fun, some great personalities and who can forget the Rams game and fans not leaving!

I have to go with the 1980's. Great games and great personalities. Late 70's and early 90's were good too. Sad to say, this modern version is kind of boring at times. I keep wondering if the influx of $ is turning the league into crap. Your thoughts?

I would agree...some great dynasty like teams before the advent of free agency and a lot more passing than in the 70s with the advent of the West Coast Offense, K-Gun, Dan Marino, etc...

I might be somewhat biased since I grew up in that era, but it was pretty awesome...

My first memories of football were the 1990 Buffalo Bills. I remember very clearly comebacks versus the Raiders and Broncos in consecutive weeks. The teams that followed were always great and the 90's raised the bar pretty high, especially in the face of what has followed. That being said the teens have been interesting with how close each game seems to be. Actually I wonder sometimes if games aren't a little to close. Penalties should not play as much of a roll as they do. Injury stuff is relevant to the amount of speed that has been introduced to the game. Players are now stronger and faster than ever before so collisions are bound to be brutal. Regardless, the games a quite entertaining so I'll stick with the teens.

I guess the question can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I took it to mean "what decade had the best style of play?"

For me, as great as the 70's were, I still remember a lot of "guy runs into the middle of the line, 2 yard gain". It was just getting past that, and the 80's opened it up. There were a variety of offenses too. Power running games, west coast, air coryell, the run and shoot, no huddle....there seemed to be more variety between teams in the 80s.

I'd say it was the 1920s when the NFL was new and exciting - and players played for the love the game and not for riches - except I'm still upset about the Staley Swindle when the Buffalo All-Americans were cheated out of the NFL title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_NFL_Championship_controversy

My first memories of football were the 1990 Buffalo Bills. I remember very clearly comebacks versus the Raiders and Broncos in consecutive weeks. The teams that followed were always great and the 90's raised the bar pretty high, especially in the face of what has followed. That being said the teens have been interesting with how close each game seems to be. Actually I wonder sometimes if games aren't a little to close. Penalties should not play as much of a roll as they do. Injury stuff is relevant to the amount of speed that has been introduced to the game. Players are now stronger and faster than ever before so collisions are bound to be brutal. Regardless, the games a quite entertaining so I'll stick with the teens.

Great post

You are correct.

Thats for the reminder, now I'm not only drunk but feeling senile.

The 1980's Bills were also alot of fun, some great personalities and who can forget the Rams game and fans not leaving!

Are you on Oliver Street?

In August 1967 the Lions came to the old Rockpile (first NFL Team to come to Buffalo) for a pre - season game and both teams play like it was a playoff game.

NFL Teams came to Buffalo throughout the 1920s to compete against Buffalo. You can also toss Rochester in the mix, if you want all of Western New York.

Buffalo also hosted several teams before 1967 (albeit, not against a Buffalo team):

Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Philadelphia Eagles 9/16/38

Chicago Cardinals vs. Green Bay Packers 9/28/38

Chicago Cardinals vs. Detroit Lions 9/15/40

Chicago Cardinals vs. Cleveland Rams 9/13/42

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Brooklyn Dodgers 9/27/42

Chicago Cardinals vs. Detroit Lions 10/17/43

Chicago Cardinals vs. New York Giants 9/28/58