NFL sack leader Robert Mathis suspended 4 games for fertility drug

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk May 16

Robert Mathis's agent criticizes Goodell, calls suspension "unjust and unfair" http://wp.me/p14QSB-9tZg

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 3m

Robert Mathis's agent accuses the NFL of misleading the public http://wp.me/p14QSB-9u3K

Apparently Mathis didn't double check that Clomid was on the banned list after his doc prescribed it to him and told him it would be fine. Mathis is saying that he learned his mother had stage 4 cancer and he and his wife wanted to give her another grandchild so he took Clomid. He has lots of documentation but his mistake is he didn't apply for a waiver beforehand. The commish isn't bending the rules or modifying the suspension.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Tis is to curb his testosterone from steroid use. Manny Ramirez did the same thing.... nice try Robert.

This was brought up on Mike & Mike - that he had his best season at age 34. However, his agent said he switched positions and that led to higher sack total. Mathis's statement was detailed and believable, I thought, but I know Clomid has been used in the past as a masking agent.

The whole story sounds fishy. He claims no problems previously impregnating his wife with twins. Now he says he only used Clomid for 10-12 days, stopping after he found out he had already gotten his wife pregnant!

How is it at all possible that he did not know that Clomid is on the banned substances list? Has he never heard of Manny Ramirez (50 games)? Why would he ask his doctor if Clomid is on the NFL banned substance list? Why wouldn't he just take 5 minutes to look it up himself on his laptop?

If this aging star hadn't suddenly put up his best numbers, by far, in his 11 season, Goodell would likely have cut him some slack. My guess is that the Commish assumed Mathis was masking testerone use and I think it is reasonable to assume this.

He blew it. He needs to sit and be quiet.

Clomid is used as part of PST (post steroid therapy. It is not a masking agent, and it typically is used as part of a larger program to bridge the gap between steroid cycles. PST only temporarily raises endogenous testosterone and the user will still get a testosterone crash regardless as the effects do wear off. As I said, it function as a bridge between cycles. It will be interesting to see when insulin levels will be tested as that it is extremely anabolic under the correct dietary/ stimulus conditions. It is widely abused at the Olympic level.

Clomid is used as part of PST (post steroid therapy. It is not a masking agent, and it typically is used as part of a larger program to bridge the gap between steroid cycles. PST only temporarily raises endogenous testosterone and the user will still get a testosterone crash regardless as the effects do wear off. As I said, it function as a bridge between cycles. It will be interesting to see when insulin levels will be tested as that it is extremely anabolic under the correct dietary/ stimulus conditions. It is widely abused at the Olympic level.

That admittedly went a bit over my head... so, based on this do you think he was using it as PST or do you think his story is true?

The whole story sounds fishy. He claims no problems previously impregnating his wife with twins. Now he says he only used Clomid for 10-12 days, stopping after he found out he had already gotten his wife pregnant!

How is it at all possible that he did not know that Clomid is on the banned substances list? Has he never heard of Manny Ramirez (50 games)? Why would he ask his doctor if Clomid is on the NFL banned substance list? Why wouldn't he just take 5 minutes to look it up himself on his laptop?

If this aging star hadn't suddenly put up his best numbers, by far, in his 11 season, Goodell would likely have cut him some slack. My guess is that the Commish assumed Mathis was masking testerone use and I think it is reasonable to assume this.

He blew it. He needs to sit and be quiet.

Kind of sad if this is indeed the case that he would use his mom's illness to try and cover up steroid use. Oy.

Please...this dude knew what he was doing...Clomid sends Testosterone levels soaring in men, so much so, bodybuilders use it after steroid cycle to keep their levels high while their natural Testosterone levels recover. It does this by raising LH and FSH levels which stimulate Testosterone production, which is what steroids suppress.

Funny how he did this in the off-season when high Testosterone levels would benefit him the most during off-season workouts by helping him add more muscle and not during the season...a little too convenient and his story doesn't add up...

He tried to circumvent the rules, got caught and should just own it, not make up BS excuses

Edited by matter2003

Having not seen anything on the medical side ill reserve judgement a bit on whether or not he's lying.... Even if he is, it's not the end of the world, though using your moms cancer as a cover would be unfortunate. If an honest mistake he should still sit out too though.

Edited by NoSaint

It's called PCT bro...PCT...C is for Cycle

Edited by matter2003

Clomid is a fertility drug for WOMEN. It does absolutely nothing fertility-wise in men. He should get an extra game suspension for this moronic excuse.

I guess it's smarter for him to claim stupidity rather than admit steroid use, but he'd have to be really really stupid to believe his own story.

Wasn't it Brian Cushing who was suspended for using fertility drugs a couple years ago? Was it the same one? He also had some long, drawn out excuse for why he needed it but can't recall the details.

Edit: Cushing's was different fertility drug http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2010/05/texans_linebacker_brian_cushin.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

Clomid is a fertility drug for WOMEN. It does absolutely nothing fertility-wise in men. He should get an extra game suspension for this moronic excuse.

I guess it's smarter for him to claim stupidity rather than admit steroid use, but he'd have to be really really stupid to believe his own story.

I thought that was a chick drug. Thanks for clarifying. I think dudes can get pregnant though, at least I saw a movie about it. I think it was the Terminator.

I thought that too at first, but I was wrong. It is also prescribed for men for fertility issues.

That admittedly went a bit over my head... so, based on this do you think he was using it as PST or do you think his story is true?

Kind of sad if this is indeed the case that he would use his mom's illness to try and cover up steroid use. Oy.

There is zero doubt in my mind he was using this as PCT (post cycle therapy). Anybody who has ever taken steroids will tell you this!!!

Edited by BillsShredder83

It's called PCT bro...PCT...C is for Cycle

Can you repeat that?

I am pretty sure he is on and off the juice. Clomid, hCg, Nolvadex and Arimidex are used in a few different combinations to bridge to the next cycle.

Isn't it a pretty easy case to see if Mathis was lying or not? The fertility doctor would testify as to whether he prescribed it or not (and it sounded like he clearly did).

The separate (and less interesting) issue is whether you suspend the guy just because he didn't then pre-clear it with the NFL.

Isn't it a pretty easy case to see if Mathis was lying or not? The fertility doctor would testify as to whether he prescribed it or not (and it sounded like he clearly did).

The separate (and less interesting) issue is whether you suspend the guy just because he didn't then pre-clear it with the NFL.

His doctor is not going to say "boo" because of doctor patient confidentiality and HIPAA regulations. That's why pro athletes often say that they were just following their doctor's orders. The doc is never going to dispute it because he/she can't without putting their own careers in jeopardy.

Edited by need therapy