Report: Bills tried to trade up to #1 for Sammy

They said they called all the teams ahead of them to see what it would take, and started with #1. They had a line as to what they were willing to give up, I am sure. Reportedly, the Jags and Rams were unwilling to trade their picks at 2 and 3 because they were set on taking Bortles and Robinson respectively and knew they might not get them at 9.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wow. They really love sammy. If they have that much conviction to make such a calculated and bold decision you have to know they have really thought it through and honestly think he is the real deal.

No. They are stupid to try to trade up that high and just as stupid for trading next years 1st... Sorry. Been reading too many hater posts recently.

He was worth it.

What would the reaction have been if the Bills did trade to 1 and took Watkins over Clowney?

Ooooo..think of the hissy fits! It's bad enough they went up to 4 and got him, the way some have reacted. People would have lost their minds if they jumped to 1. Hell, we have 6 pages on the cutting of an UDFA WR fattened up to a TE! Would have been fun to watch on here though.....

Edited by WotAGuy

I'm amazed that Jax didn't take the trade down deal. Who in the world was going to take Bortles before 9?

Did Cleveland have Bortles ahead of Manziel on their draft board?

For a team that really needs a spark to save it's franchise, Jax could've got their man and had 2 1st rounders next year and two 4th rounders.

I'm amazed that Jax didn't take the trade down deal. Who in the world was going to take Bortles before 9?

For a team that really needs a spark to save it's franchise, Jax could've got their man and had 2 1st rounders next year and two 4th rounders.

This is the same as the EJ conversation. Nobody would have taken Bortles before 9, excpet that somebody actually did take him before 9, so that arguement goes out the window. I know, the answer to that is nobody but Jax wanted him that high, but before they took him nobody knew Jax was going to take him that high, so who knows what everyone else would have done.

I'm a fan of mock draft; they spark conversation and are fun when there's nothing else gonig on. So while I'm not one of those people that hate on mock drafts most of the time, it's after the draft that I wish people could just forget them.

Cleveland, Tampa and Minnesota would've probably all considered it as well as trade up chances. If you like a QB as your franchise guy you don't !@#$ around. You take him.

... Unless it's a guy like EJ Manuel that you KNOW isn't going before you trade down. Bortles was a possible pick for other teams.

I wonder if one key reason they were set on Sammy was precisely because he does so much damage with short passes--remember that they were also trying to trade up for Carlos Hyde, a power runner. Maybe what's going on is that they know that E.J. needs time to develop, so they're trying to give him short-term help. Look at the O-linemen they're drafting: all power guys. Whether or not E.J. is the long-term answer, these moves will give him the best chance to succeed in the next two years. Look for a lot of eight men in a box.

Sorry in case this has already been posted in another thread.....

http://www.cbssports...watkins-at-no-4

Bills certainly were all in on Sammy. Think what the reaction here would have been if they gave up everything Houston wanted!

I think if they would have made the trade to 1 we would have had Clowney . You can't give up all that & go for the second best guy in the draft .

They said Clowney is a once in a lifetime kind of player so i say that Sammy was their second choice if they couldn't go to number one & get Clowney but i still dig the move & the pick !!

GO BILLS !!!

I think if they would have made the trade to 1 we would have had Clowney . You can't give up all that & go for the second best guy in the draft .

They said Clowney is a once in a lifetime kind of player so i say that Sammy was their second choice if they couldn't go to number one & get Clowney but i still dig the move & the pick !!

GO BILLS !!!

To be honest, I would be disappointed right now if they had gotten Clowney instead of Sammy. Sammy has all of his upside, and seemingly none of his downside.

To be honest, I would be disappointed right now if they had gotten Clowney instead of Sammy. Sammy has all of his upside, and seemingly none of his downside.

That's one of the things that I like most about Watkins. He seems to have very low bust potential. Every time that he opens his mouth I think that he is more and more likely to be a great player. He really doesn't have many questions.

It seems most teams had Bortles rated the best QB. He wouldn't have lasted long