Sammy gets double-teamed. Now, what?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad part is this all sounds great on paper. People keep forgetting the bust element. EJ can't get it done no matter what weapons we have.

Your thinking is more or less aligned where I was going with this question. Bit I think the jury is still out whether or not EJ can get it done. But we can go around and around but it all boils down to one thing. The real question is - Can our quarterback take advantage of opportunities that present themselves during the game that result from an upgrade of talent at other offensive positions. In this example, Watkins being double-teamed which should result in the defense exposing a weakness somewhere else that can be exploited if the QB recognizes and executes on it. The team thinks he can based on what they have and have not done.

Like in NASCAR, I can give you the best and fastest car, the best pit crew, plenty of financial support, anything and everything you need. But if you can't drive the car we ain't winning any races. That's what the QB does, metaphorically speaking he drives the car.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Your thinking is more or less aligned where I was going with this question. Bit I think the jury is still out whether or not EJ can get it done. But we can go around and around but it all boils down to one thing. The real question is - Can our quarterback take advantage of opportunities that present themselves during the game that result from an upgrade of talent at other offensive positions. In this example, Watkins being double-teamed which should result in the defense exposing a weakness somewhere else that can be exploited if the QB recognizes and executes on it. The team thinks he can based on what they have and have not done.

Like in NASCAR, I can give you the best and fastest car, the best pit crew, plenty of financial support, anything and everything you need. But if you can't drive the car we ain't winning any races. That's what the QB does, metaphorically speaking he drives the car.

Except in your example, EJ was in his first year on the circuit in the driver seat, had a brand new car that hadn't been tested yet, a lousy new pit crew with a few missing parts, with half the practice runs, and a gamey leg on the accelerator.

Bear with me here...

Over the next few weeks I may present some negative scenarios in an attempt to find solutions for them. This is a fairly intelligent fanbase. Some of you take it a step further with an intimate understanding of X's and O's... As much as I LOVED the Sammy pick, I can't help wondering if him and EJ can make the proper connection. -Do we trust EJ to throw in double coverage? -Can he exploit the seam, and throw on time for comeback routes?

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm presenting Sammy as our #1 offensive weapon. What's the next best option in the event he's shut down???

One of the benefits of having a star WR (not saying Watkins is a star yet...just saying...) is forcing the double team...That's why it's important to have depth...I'm certain Woods, Williams, Flash, Chandler, et all will be thrilled with it...The last thing you want EJ doing is forcing the ball into a double team...You want him to find the open receiver...And if the double Sammy, someone will be open... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

That's correct. Stevie Johnson was the only WR to ever drop a ball, and no one on the Bills will ever drop a ball again.

I don't believe I mentioned any name in my statement. But I quess Stevie Johnson was what came to your mind

Except in your example, EJ was in his first year on the circuit in the driver seat, had a brand new car that hadn't been tested yet, a lousy new pit crew with a few missing parts, with half the practice runs, and a gamey leg on the accelerator.

Agreed, but given the body of work from his injury shortened 2013 season we are left with an incomplete assessment of EJ's capacity to handle the task. Given management's work to date to put the talent around him it appears they believe he's up to the task. I hope they're right.

My concern is the Bills employed 3 inexperienced QB's during the 2013 NFL season and while I'm no expert on QB's or statistical performance metrics my observations through watching all 16 games was there wasn't much seperation between the results of the 3 individuals. I would have expected EJ, a 1st round choice from a top college program, to 'start' from a higher floor of performance than Tuel and Lewis. And clearly out-perform them which he didn't. I'm not saying EJ won't work out and I want him to but I am unclear what evidence there is from the work to date that clearly tells us the light is going to come on. Until we see some results its just wishful thinking and the big risk going into the season.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Agreed, but given the body of work from his injury shortened 2013 season we are left with an incomplete assessment of EJ's capacity to handle the task. Given management's work to date to put the talent around him it appears they believe he's up to the task. I hope they're right.

My concern is the Bills employed 3 inexperienced QB's during the 2013 NFL season and while I'm no expert on QB's or statistical performance metrics my observations through watching all 16 games was there wasn't much seperation between the results of the 3 individuals. I would have expected EJ, a 1st round choice from a top college program, to 'start' from a higher floor of performance than Tuel and Lewis. And clearly out-perform them which he didn't. I'm not saying EJ won't work out and I want him to but I am unclear what evidence there is from the work to date that clearly tells us the light is going to come on. Until we see some results its just wishful thinking and the big risk going into the season.

One of those QBs is not a rookie

One of them couldnt read defenses and kept throwing picks

One of them was injuried and in and out of the lineup

Its pretty simple

One of those QBs is not a rookie

One of them couldnt read defenses and kept throwing picks

One of them was injuried and in and out of the lineup

Its pretty simple

Bring back Billie Joe Hobert?

Great receivers get double teamed every week in the NFL and they still put up big numbers.

It's up to the offensive coordinator to find ways to get him the ball even if double teamed. Hopefully the coaching staff is up to the task.

Edited by pi2000

I think this is a fair point, at least strictly in terms of numbers. But, watching the games (at least by my recollection), Tuel mostly stunk up the field. Lewis, i believe, played higher than expectations, and had clearly done his homework leading up to his performance. But, I think there was a definite difference in style, and it's easier to imagine EJ having a higher ceiling from what we saw, and Lewis less so.

That's just my gut feeling, and my gut feelings are often wrong.

I don't believe I mentioned any name in my statement. But I quess Stevie Johnson was what came to your mind

Cute, but transparent.

It's up to the offensive coordinator to find ways to get him the ball even if double teamed. Hopefully the coaching staff is up to the task.

And this is perhaps my biggest concern....

We're not on the team. We do not coach. We don't call plays. -We're mostly fans. Still, does that mean we have to sit back, horrified, as a worst-case-scenario unfolds? This team isn't known for it's good luck. We've had good players rendered useless (for one reason or another) at critical times more often than I dare keep track of. Given this history, Why shouldn't we discuss options? My stance is that it's better to be prepared. -If only mentally.

Many of the answers here are good. In the event we face the challenge depicted, It would shock me if our own TBD posters came up with better solutions than our coaches. -Then we'd know something is REALLY wrong.

There's a snippet of offense at the bottom of the previous page. I see an uncoordinated MESS. I see a team that was not ready for the curveball it was thrown. As a fan, I don't think it's too much to ask that we be ready the next time stuff goes down.

Edited by #34fan

Goodwin has world class speed as well. Last year he had several long catches. I BILLieve Goodwin could have a breakout second year. Plus we'll have Williams in the slot or a dump to CJ or Chandler in the middle I like our offensive if we can keep EJ healthy and off the ground. Protect EJ and we'll be able to score points

Saw your thread. -Liked it!

Not sure if I feel the same way about these quick progressions. In certain games, the plays seemed to take longer to unfold, and EJ was rushing. Here's an example.

Our guys seem to be running very basic routes. Easily anticipated by that defensive backfield. Then EJ was catching hell up front.... Does a faster player in that scheme really help? I'd almost like to see more intricate routes with some of our WR's called on to block. JMO. I don't have any cool diagrams or anything.

Maybe this has been one giant game of chess... Played for a draft pick, significantly improved the team this year, and hit phase two of the play book.... I smell a conspiracy...