Whaley and his articulation

I haven't noticed, but maybe I will try to listen closer.

My wife is a speech pathologist, so I may ask her to analyze Doug's speech too.

There are a lot of accomplished public speakers who have speech impediments--it's amazing to me that certain folks can overcome them like they do.

That's cool, I had thought about going into SLP field myself, instead, went Psychology. Big mistake, unless I take it a step past the Bachelors and into a Masters or above.

To your point, actors like Bruce Willis, or even James Earl Jones who is a narrator a lot of times, amazingly!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed in many interviews Whaley tends to stutter when trying to get his words out. I've talked about this in the shout box and one other TBD'er thought the same thing. Does anyone know if he had a speech impetiment when he was younger and is still dealing with it now? Seems at times he misuses words too. Can't think of any specific examples at this time, but I've definetly noticed before.

This is not to bash Whaley. I love what he's done with the team and I think he's very intelligent. It's just at times he doesnt sound quite as intelligent due to a possible speech impetiment. Just curious to see if anyone else out there had noticed or could shed some light as to if he has had an impetiment or if its just jitters in front of the camera or what have you.

Everybody stammers occasionally - especially when speaking off the cuff (like to reporters) - but I haven't noticed anything out of the norm.

In fact, I think he's more articulate than his predecessor. To me, Whaley sounds like he has his isht together.

Whaley's speech is light years ahead of his predecessor, & Obama's predecessor as well. At least I can listen to Whaley without cringing.

I think Nix was better, as far as, free flowing thoughts coming out seamlessly. Granted, he was tough to listen to for us northerners. What you're probably referring to is his drawl or his dialect, which is different from what I'm talking about.

I think Nix was better, as far as, free flowing thoughts coming out seamlessly. Granted, he was tough to listen to for us northerners. What you're probably referring to is his drawl or his dialect, which is different from what I'm talking about.

I've lived in South Eastern Virginia right near the North Carolina line for almost half my life. It's not his accent I am referring to.

Whaley's speech is light years ahead of his predecessor, & Obama's predecessor as well. At least I can listen to Whaley without cringing.

The following comment has nothing to do with Whaley. I could listen to Buddy Nix, Dwight Adams, and Bobby Bowden all day long.

Video (with improved audio) is king today. Every word is recorded, along with every facial nuance. Remember when Gilmore didn't smile enough when we drafted him? And didn't we have someone post a few weeks ago that DW looked like a stoner?

I find this new regime to be so open and honest in their interviews. No more bland statements. He actually tell you what he thinks. I really like the guy.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

Jeepers... silly season is still in full progress I see...

Yeah, I would probably had been better served by starting this thread a couple week ago vs today lol. Before the draft and a couple weeks after FA is probably the best time for threads like this.

Mel Kiper rated Whaley's speech a D+. OMFG, we don't get no respect. No respect, I tells ya!

:w00t:

He needs to enunciate a little more.

Of course, I can't say much, its hard not to mumble when you're cramming a hamsandwhich down your throat.

You sir are alrighty ! :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with your Op at all.

I had not noticed . But maybe i gloss over details. One of the things i like most about Whaley is his words and wording . Seems very wise in responding to questions . Patient .

Regardless of our perceptions , we must admit it has been interesting watching the man speak and act. If you listen to the group he is surrounded by they all look to be on the same page. We have had none of the early errors like Marrone made with the press.

Worth while thought Ham. Because now i must listen closer.

Aint nothin wrong with that :beer:

Mel Kiper rated Whaley's speech a D+. OMFG, we don't get no respect. No respect, I tells ya!

He doesn't even know who Doug Whaley much less what state Buffalo is in