Whaley and his articulation

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sir are alrighty ! :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with your Op at all.

I had not noticed . But maybe i gloss over details. One of the things i like most about Whaley is his words and wording . Seems very wise in responding to questions . Patient .

Regardless of our perceptions , we must admit it has been interesting watching the man speak and act. If you listen to the group he is surrounded by they all look to be on the same page. We have had none of the early errors like Marrone made with the press.

Worth while thought Ham. Because now i must listen closer.

Aint nothin wrong with that :beer:

He doesn't even know who Doug Whaley much less what state Buffalo is in

:thumbsup:

He doesn't even know who Doug Whaley much less what state Buffalo is in

Well, Kiper did say that he thought Sammy was the best "yac" receiver he had ever seen, in his 36 years of draft analysis...should we be scared?

It's just you. I only listen to the guy on the radio and he sounds very intelligent and in command.

Again, I think he's a very intelligent man. That was never in question, but yes, to an outside observer, he could be construed as less intelligent if they hear what I'm hearing. Then again, it seems as I'm mostly just hearing things, judging by the posts on this thread lol.

One of the headline stories on my homepage today was about a politician who was caught, on camera, picking wax from his ear and sticking it in his mouth...

This sounds like another good topic. One question, would it be an "off the wall" or "PPP" thread?

Yeah, I would probably had been better served by starting this thread a couple week ago vs today lol. Before the draft and a couple weeks after FA is probably the best time for threads like this.

:w00t:

No offense HamSandwhich, but I think Whaley speaks fine... if he stutters, or stumbles over words on occasion, I interpret that as somebody who hasn't rehearsed their answers, but knows what they want to say, faster than they can articulate it. I do it all the time, as I suspect many of us do. Kind of the way things go on a job interview. If you think about it, this is really the first year that he is interacting with the media to this extent. He isn't a politician, he is a football guy... I think he accords himself just fine. I find Marrone much harder to listen to. I think that is because he chooses his words so carefully, that they stop making sense after a while.

No offense HamSandwhich, but I think Whaley speaks fine... if he stutters, or stumbles over words on occasion, I interpret that as somebody who hasn't rehearsed their answers, but knows what they want to say, faster than they can articulate it. I do it all the time, as I suspect many of us do. Kind of the way things go on a job interview. If you think about it, this is really the first year that he is interacting with the media to this extent. He isn't a politician, he is a football guy... I think he accords himself just fine. I find Marrone much harder to listen to. I think that is because he chooses his words so carefully, that they stop making sense after a while.

Marrone and Whaley. Those guys present as near opposites .

Marrone is a big ole lineman at heart. While Whaley is more like a safety .

Nice choice of contrast Buftex !!

its just jitters in front of the camera or what have you.

This is my first guess. I think this couples with the common trap of trying to sound smarter in a formal setting by pulling out some of the 12 point words. I have seen this for ages in the professional world, it backfires with misuse, and is harder when you are in front of an audience.

As other have pointed out, I'll take poor diction and a great roster if that is the trade off!

I haven't analyzed Whaley's speech patterns enough to know if he has a stutter, but regardless, any speech pathologist will tell you there is zero correlation between stuttering and a lack of intelligence.

Any link between the two is culturally-formed and misguided.

Then again, it seems as I'm mostly just hearing things, judging by the posts on this thread lol.

you're not crazy. i've noticed it as well. at first (in his early pressers) i chalked it up to nerves, but i don't think that's the case.

Well, Kiper did say that he thought Sammy was the best "yac" receiver he had ever seen, in his 36 years of draft analysis...should we be scared?

It would be foolish to not admit Watkins for what he is :thumbsup:

It's not easy doing interviews. Give him a little more time. He'll get more comfortable with it.

i didn't read through the whole thread before posting. I agree completely.

I agree, I think that's the prevailing thought. I personally think he stutters and looks for words more often than most, but it seems I'm mostly in the minority on this one. I shall digress.

Oh God please hijack this thread!

I wish this thread could have been hijacked long ago, I'm a bit embarrassed by my inquisitive nature. Sometimes it gets me in awkward situations. Perhaps I "thread stutter" causing me to seem less intelligent!

I haven't analyzed Whaley's speech patterns enough to know if he has a stutter, but regardless, any speech pathologist will tell you there is zero correlation between stuttering and a lack of intelligence.

Any link between the two is culturally-formed and misguided.

Wholeheartedly agree! I think he's intelligent as I've said many times. I was just wondering if others noticed the same things about his speech patterns as I.

Edited by HamSandwhich