Cost of Watkins = Typical Media Bias against Buffalo

And the sad thing is local media is whining as well. We gave up two #1 picks for a guy that most likely (according to EVERY 'expert') will become an elite player. But Buffalo gave up too much? What is an elite player that other teams must game plan for worth?

I don't remember anywhere near the angst from NFLN, ESPN Etal. about the Julio Jones trade and they gave up essentially THREE #1's a #2 etc. But why is this? Because its BUFFALO!

All of a sudden this 'elite' player who many teams had #1 Overall on their board 'must work out to justify the cost'? Um this is the same guy you guys were touting as either the top guy or top 2 in your analysis and mock drafts right? The same guy who the experts said would be an elite WR, that would excel in the NFL, a 'No miss prospect'? But all of a sudden he must work out?

Typical Bull **** bias toward the Bills and it has been glaring from that pick through now when the media and some fans are still whining about it. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger. Who knows who we get next year and honestly I dont give a damn about the 2015 draft at all. I want to win NOW. I want to see significant progress NOW. And if whaley is good he will keep the quality talent he knows can fit our system and win (within reason...) and he can find talent in the 2nd round on next year. If we have a playoff team THIS year, adding to it in the future is much easier...the core of the playoff team is already in place!

Look Whaley has put together a team that should gel pretty damn well before that really crappy December run. If we get a RT And Guard that start and kick ass, along with The running game improving and Watkins, Wood, Williams and Goodwin kicking ass along with FINALLY stopping the run much better than we did, then this team is light years ahead of even last year. And to me that means playoffs.

Ill just say it right now, (and I get these are two if's) IF the team stays healthy, and IF the new guys Gel... We beat NE for the AFCE Title. Yes I said it, we will win the AFC East division title.

Its on like a Mofo! :thumbsup:

Edited by Kellyto83TD

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt like it when it happened but now that it has sunk in I actually love the move. If Watkins is indeed the true elite probowl hall of fame WR he's said to be then that is well worth the cost, even if he turns out as an above average #1 WR it's still a win as later drafted WRs all are what we have allready top end #2 receivers.

I can care less what the media says about the cost. Same as the draft grades, if we get 4 immediate starters and 1 or 2 ST guys out of this years draft then it's been a huge success, and this draft has that potential.

I understand it.

Rightfully so, a lot of the media (as well as public) sees the Bills as many pieces away from contending as they are in the midst of 6 straight last place finished. I dont think that is necessarily the case unless the wheels fall off.

Everyone has also been conditioned to expect the Bills' pick to land in the top 5 or 10.

The most irritating thing is when I see media or posters incorrectly state we gave up 2 first round picks. We only lost ONE first round pick in the trade up. We traded 2 and got back one first rounder. 2-1 = 1 and for the life of me I can not figure out why that math equation is difficult for the media and posters on this board to grasp.

Once again, the ONLY cost associated with getting in position to get Watkins was the additional picks.

I love getting the player (who wouldn't?) but using two #1's (this years and next years) is a bit too much for a WR in my opinion no matter how good he is.

But it is consistent with Whaley/Marrone getting Manuel all the tools he needs to either sink or swim this year.

Basically I do not hate the move but I do not love it either.

I also think too many Bills fans whine about media bias. Just because a pundit disagrees with what the Bills FO does, doesn't necessarily mean it's bias.

It generally means that they just disagree with the decision. And lets face it, given the Bills performance the past 14 years disagreeing with what the Bills do makes you right a whole lot more than wrong. If these pundits really knew anything they wouldn't be pundits, they would be making boatloads of cash from a NFL team so don't worry about what they say.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I don't really care what we gave up next year. We'll worry about that next year. Everyone thinks there is this singular formula that you have to follow in order to achieve draft success. There really isn't. I like the aggressiveness. We've sat back for years and got nothing in return, why not go get the #1 guy that you've been needing for years and build off of it. Would we have gotten a better grade had we sat back and got Lewan or another RT? Yay, that's exciting! I think we are one piece away from the playoffs, and that's QB. If the QB plays half way decent I think we have a great shot to have a good season.

The most irritating thing is when I see media or posters incorrectly state we gave up 2 first round picks. We only lost ONE first round pick in the trade up. We traded 2 and got back one first rounder. 2-1 = 1 and for the life of me I can not figure out why that math equation is difficult for the media and posters on this board to grasp.

Once again, the ONLY cost associated with getting in position to get Watkins was the additional picks.

Exactly - and put another way - if we had traded a 7th rounder to move up 1 slot to select a player in the 8th slot - NOBODY would report that we gave up a 1 and a 7 for the player selected - we simply gave up a 7 to move up to select.

Many media wish to write a story that we gave up too much - so in attempt to match up facts with their opinion they throw in another 1st rd pick....

I find it interesting that people are downgrading the Bills' draft because of what they gave up next year to get Watkins. That should only reflect on next year's grade. I also find it laughable that because the Bills aren't a SB contender (SB? What about playoffs?), it was as dumb move. If EJ takes a step forward, they could be. If he doesn't and they find a QB in the next 2 drafts, they could be. It doesn't mean they shouldn't try to acquire good players.

Leading up to the draft I wanted to stay put or slide back... As soon as they announced the trade, I knew it had to be Mack or Watkins.... When they called Watkins name, I had a good feeling that Stevie was gone...

I am extremely enamored with the moves we have made, and don't see how it won't add up to more wins... It's a great time to be a Bills fan!

You can always look at it this way: one of the best moves you all feel Whaley made was trading down last year to get EJ later and an extra 2nd round pick from St. Louis. That pick turned into Kiko Alonso. I think he is worth a 1st round pick now that we look back. So Whaley essentially pulled off getting an extra 1st round pick last year. So he gave it back to get who might end up being the best player in the draft and certainly one that could have the most immediate impact? I'll take that. You're even :)

To the armchair media critics: Do you understand what a "narrative" is? The narrative is that the Bills suck, and will continue to suck, until they don't suck anymore. What possible draft scenario do you think would've garnered us any love at all in the media?

No draft can possibly be analyzed for at least two years anyway. Cripes, turn off ESPN, NFLN, all of it and go outside for some fresh air. I promise you'll feel better.

And the sad thing is local media is whining as well. We gave up two #1 picks for a guy that most likely (according to EVERY 'expert') will become an elite player. But Buffalo gave up too much? What is an elite player that other teams must game plan for worth?

I don't remember anywhere near the angst from NFLN, ESPN Etal. about the Julio Jones trade and they gave up essentially THREE #1's a #2 etc. But why is this? Because its BUFFALO!

All of a sudden this 'elite' player who many teams had #1 Overall on their board 'must work out to justify the cost'? Um this is the same guy you guys were touting as either the top guy or top 2 in your analysis and mock drafts right? The same guy who the experts said would be an elite WR, that would excel in the NFL, a 'No miss prospect'? But all of a sudden he must work out?

Typical Bull **** bias toward the Bills and it has been glaring from that pick through now when the media and some fans are still whining about it. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger. Who knows who we get next year and honestly I dont give a damn about the 2015 draft at all. I want to win NOW. I want to see significant progress NOW. And if whaley is good he will keep the quality talent he knows can fit our system and win (within reason...) and he can find talent in the 2nd round on next year. If we have a playoff team THIS year, adding to it in the future is much easier...the core of the playoff team is already in place!

Look Whaley has put together a team that should gel pretty damn well before that really crappy December run. If we get a RT And Guard that start and kick ass, along with The running game improving and Watkins, Wood, Williams and Goodwin kicking ass along with FINALLY stopping the run much better than we did, then this team is light years ahead of even last year. And to me that means playoffs.

Ill just say it right now, (and I get these are two if's) IF the team stays healthy, and IF the new guys Gel... We beat NE for the AFCE Title. Yes I said it, we will win the AFC East division title.

Its on like a Mofo! :thumbsup:

I like your moxy kid...

I find it interesting that people are downgrading the Bills' draft because of what they gave up next year to get Watkins. That should only reflect on next year's grade. I also find it laughable that because the Bills aren't a SB contender (SB? What about playoffs?), it was as dumb move. If EJ takes a step forward, they could be. If he doesn't and they find a QB in the next 2 drafts, they could be. It doesn't mean they shouldn't try to acquire good players.

It should reflect on this years grade because this is the year they mortgaged next year's pick.

And you hit on one reason why giving up next years first caused a downgrade, if the Bills do decide they need a QB, they have no first round pick next year to try and get one.

The Bills really did go all in with Manuel just like they said they were. Bills fans may like that, but more neutral observers are likely to see it as taking a big risk for a WR.

It should reflect on this years grade because this is the year they mortgaged next year's pick.

And you hit on one reason why giving up next years first caused a downgrade, if the Bills do decide they need a QB, they have no first round pick next year to try and get one.

The Bills really did go all in with Manuel just like they said they were. Bills fans may like that, but more neutral observers are likely to see it as taking a big risk for a WR.

.. :thumbsup:

To the armchair media critics: Do you understand what a "narrative" is? The narrative is that the Bills suck, and will continue to suck, until they don't suck anymore. What possible draft scenario do you think would've garnered us any love at all in the media?

No draft can possibly be analyzed for at least two years anyway. Cripes, turn off ESPN, NFLN, all of it and go outside for some fresh air. I promise you'll feel better.

Explain then the Browns narrative - or did they recently win a Superbowl?