Bills Draft Room (Video)

Peter

Any guesses on what RB they were looking to trade up for???? My best guess would be Carlos Hyde.....who ended up coming off the board just a few picks after Sankey was selected.

Only 3 RB's were taken after Sankey went. They were Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde and Charles Sims. I don't think the target was Hill because he went the very next pick which would've given the bills little to no time to work the phones, which the video insinuated they did. I also don't think it was Sims because he went just a few picks before the Bills 3rd round pick, so if he was their guy they would've certainly had the time and ammo to go up and get him. Seems Hyde was the guy based on that. Would've loved to have had him too, he was my favorite back in the draft

If you read the story on that page it basically says it was Hyde we were after.

The 49ers took Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde, a pre-draft visitor to Buffalo, and the running back run was over.

“They got our guy,” said Monos. “You win some, you lose some.”

Would have absolutely loved to see the big bruiser added. Picking a backup LB who will contribute mostly on special teams is a let down after that. Never know but I like to think Scott Critchton (who was in for a visit) was the target but went pick before. Big DE would have been a much better fit.

REALLY don't like hearing that Russ Brandon was in on any of the phone calls. He's not a football guy, period. Him being in the room is annoying enough. Actually being involved? Please stop it.

You do realize that he is virtually the owner right? He is the one that authorized the trades. Without Russ' okay then this draft wouldn't have happened.

I still don't understand the disdain for RB? I am not trying to come across as condescending but if anyone has an issue with the job that he has done you don't really have a grasp for what his job is. Once he was given complete control (early in 2013) would you say that the team is in a better or worse place? The talent continues to increase, the depth has grown and they are close to securing local ownership. I have been beating the drum for a long time and understand 1st hand the respect that he has around pro sports. The guy is one of the best in the world at what he does. In previous times his hands were a little tied (thanks Littman) but since he broken free the team is much better off.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Chris Brown was on the John Murphy show last night and provided additional insight into how things went down inside the Bills draft room: 5/15/14: The John Murphy Show HR 2 I like the way Whaley has things structured. The interview with Brown begins at about 90 seconds into the audio.

ICYMI, Here's the article Brown wrote from the Bills Website: ON THE CLOCK: Whaley’s decisive deal making

Brandon was the guy talking to the Jags because he has a personal relationship with their GM. You use any "in" you have in that situation. I think the Jags were more secretive about their first round intentions than almost any other team. I know that when my mates are playing things close to their chest I usually have a pretty good feel for what is going on because I know them as people and I know their personlities. If Russ asked him "are you going Quarterback?" he was probably in a better place to judge whether the stonewalling he received was a "yes" or a "no" because he knows the guy and how he acts and responds in certain situations. It just makes sense to me.

You do realize that he is virtually the owner right? He is the one that authorized the trades. Without Russ' okay then this draft wouldn't have happened.

I still don't understand the disdain for RB? I am not trying to come across as condescending but if anyone has an issue with the job that he has done you don't really have a grasp for what his job is. Once he was given complete control (early in 2013) would you say that the team is in a better or worse place? The talent continues to increase, the depth has grown and they are close to securing local ownership. I have been beating the drum for a long time and understand 1st hand the respect that he has around pro sports. The guy is one of the best in the world at what he does. In previous times his hands were a little tied (thanks Littman) but since he broken free the team is much better off.

I agree. We are lucky to have him. He is from the area and is trying to do everything he can do to keep the Bills there. Nevertheless, there are always those who want to trash him. I don't get that.

Edited by Peter