What did you guys think of your draft

All around, I'd say it was "risky". A bunch of guys that have a lot of talent and potential, but also a reasonably good chance of flaming out. If Watkins turns out to be elite, and they hit on a couple others (especially on the OL), then it will have been a very good draft. Big "ifs", though.

Edited by Rubes

All around, I'd say it was "risky". A bunch of guys that have a lot of talent and potential, but also a reasonably good chance of flaming out. If Watkins turns out to be elite, and they hit on a couple others (especially on the OL), then it will have been a very good draft. Big "ifs", though.

my thoughts exactly

i would have preferred a safer pick in the second instead of what seems like a boom or bust player

i am also not crazy about filling the backup MLB spot with a high third round pick either

i am also not crazy about filling the backup MLB spot with a high third round pick either

Spikes is only here for a year, so that backup MLB will basically be playing to inherit the job next year. Better than replacing Spikes with a rookie next year.

Positives:

We got a potentially elite player in the form of Sammy Watkins

We eliminated 1 - 2 holes on the OL by filling them with solid or good football players.

We added talent or depth at several other positions

Negatives:

If Manuel isn't the answer--which is likely enough--replacing him will be more difficult. The Bills no longer have a first round pick in next year's draft. The presence of Watkins could create the illusion Manuel is better than he is.

If the Bills' existing roster was combined with a QB like Aaron Rodgers, I'd feel ecstatic about the future! :D Are there weaknesses other than QB? Absolutely. TE is a weakness. LG is a weakness, unless our fifth round pick turns out to be the answer. But if we had a real quarterback, then the combination of QB + the significant amount of non-QB talent we do have would make this team a serious threat. A very serious threat!

Spikes is only here for a year, so that backup MLB will basically be playing to inherit the job next year. Better than replacing Spikes with a rookie next year.

im not so sure about that, if he plays well which we all hope wouldnt we/they want to sign him to an extension?

the Bills are going to have a ridiculous amount of cap space next year to do whatever they want

I kind of think you guys beat us in December. I hope I am wrong but the weather will really impact that game in Buffalo in a blizzard.

the Bills are a much better team at home but December hasnt been kind to the Bills for the last decade plus so it could depend on how the season has gone up to that point

I grade it a B

We drafted 2 ( possibly 3 if G Richardson starts) potential immediate starters...

We attempted to address 2 important concerns

Help for EJ Manuel

• drafted best WR in draft in Sammy Watkins
  • Potential starters at LG and RT which are current weak spots on the line

Depth for future

• MLB Preston Brown could potentially take over for Brandon Spikes next year ( doubtful Bills will pay up for long term contract for Spikes)
  • RB Bryce could potentially take over if either or both Spiller and Jackson are gone next year

The main negative is giving up next year's #1 of course... if EJ doesn't step up this year we're in trouble

Edited by Bocephuz

What are next weeks Lotto numbers while you are at it?

Alan Branch was signed to a 1-year deal originally. He performed well on the field, and Whaley gave him an extension. Why wouldnt the same thing be possible with Spikes?

Compared to past drafts i think it was great . I don't get where they said the Watkins pick was to pricey ? He was the highest ranked WR in the draft , some say he can be as good as Megatron (if he has a QB that can get it to him) . So we gave up next years 1st & 4th unless he is a bust it's a hell of a lot better than what we got out of the Maybin pick i'm thinking :oops:

Then there is the 2 O line pick Kouandjo & Richardson if those guys pan out our O line will be one of if not the best in the league !!

Glenn - Richardson - Woods - Urbik - Kouandjo now thats bad to the bone !!

I for one wish they would have gotten a QB in the late rounds but understand to a point why they didn't & am just praying that EJ is what they think he is 0:) ! If not the team will be in big trouble due to the fact that we don't have a first round choice next year . So bring it EJ !!

Plus if you look at what is out there as far as UDFA & what they did in FA the Bills are looking pretty good !!

I loved it...big fat A from me.

1 - Watkins is the real deal, and after the Stevie trade, it actually was a fair price.

2 - We got big OL prospects with day 1 starting potential all over our line. Love who they got and the value they got.

3 - Like the DB and LB we picked up as well. Some are down on the Brown pick, but I actually like it. I was one of the few who loved the Kiko pick last year and told people he was going to surprise everyone and compete for DROY on draft night. Now, I don't see the same potential here with Brown in his rookie year, however, this kid is more than a backup to Spikes. He is a thumper and run stuffer, our biggest weakness on the D by a mile. He can play OLB or MLB...the issue is he will probably have to come off the field in clear passing situations, but he will be an asset on obvious running situations, especially in the red zone. Ross was a great value DB and we need more depth in the backfield.

4 - Trades: Whaley did an excellent job in trades. He got he player they coveted in Watkins, got back some of what we paid and maybe more if SJ hits his escalators (and I think he will) by moving SJ to Niners, and got extra picks in this deep draft which translated in OL steals in the 5th while still getting what is regarded as the best pure RT in this deep draft. We also got Bryce Brown from Eagles for a pick next year who was a better RB than any prospect in this draft IMO. He adds insurance for us next year given both RB's are in final year of their contracts and one is pretty old (Freddy) anyway. Brown will contribute right away and I think as season goes on he will get more carries than Fred in an effort to preserve Fred who has had trouble staying healthy last 3 years.

So all in all, draft weekend was a huge success and I would give it an overall grade of "A"

the Bills are a much better team at home but December hasnt been kind to the Bills for the last decade plus so it could depend on how the season has gone up to that point

What are next weeks Lotto numbers while you are at it?

Alan Branch was signed to a 1-year deal originally. He performed well on the field, and Whaley gave him an extension. Why wouldnt the same thing be possible with Spikes?

I don't know any more than either of you, but Spikes has a better resume than Alan Branch and I think he signed a 1 year deal here basically as a tryout for other teams. Bills salary cap situation probably allowed them to offer the most money and starting potential. Right now he's on a 1 year contract, so it's better to have a plan in place if he's not here next year or doesn't perform.