Character

I watched every minute of the NFL Draft this past weekend and I can't tell you how many times I heard that the so and so player had a checkered past or character issues.

There was, theft, drugs, guns, pot, sexual assault and one guy was charged with public urination. Yet these are the guys we cheer for on Sunday. Public Urination really? Did he score a TD and then pee on the goalpost in celebration?

If I would have done any of this stuff my Italian Grandmother would have hit me upside the head with a frying pan, and I would have deserved it.

My parents raised us better than that. While I never made it to the NFL, I am married, have children, a home, and a successful career. I never took drugs or shot at anyone.

Then to have to listen to the announcers on ESPN trying to justify what happened, why the guy was charged with sexual assault against another student, but hey those records are sealed, on to the next pick.

On Sunday on ESPN, Heisman Trophy Winner Jameis Winstons Father said that FSU needs to provide his son with 24/7 security. This after his son was charged with theft at a Florida Publix for stealing Crab legs. Do the Parents shoulder any responsibility for their sons actions, does the player?

Why do these charges get dropped year after year for jocks. If you drove a bus or worked as a nurse or a clerk at the 7 Eleven your ass would be going to jail.

Last season this kid had a sexual assault charge, which sounds like was covered up.

This kid is on a bad path, and if he can't straighten out he's going to be wearing a number and a Orange jumpsuit like O.J. rather than a Jersey and helmet.

Edited by oman128

There are two sides to every story... I'm not trying to suggest anything one way or the other or make a blanket statement about all the prospects- but any time there is a report of one person claiming that something happened, there is the possibility that the said act did not actually happen. Sexual assaults for example have the highest "false reporting" rate in the country...

If I would have done any of this stuff my Italian Grandmother would have hit me upside the head with a frying pan, and I would have deserved it.

My parents raised us better than that. While I never made it to the NFL, I am married, have children, a home, and a successful career. I never took drugs or shot at anyone.

That's because like most of us, when we were out of line, we would get an ass whooping. Now, child services comes when you wipe your kids nose too hard.

These guys have been coddled their entire lives because they are good at football. I mean, there were guys graduating from college who could not read or write past an elementary school level. College!!

None of this is surprising or likely to change. And as others have said, without being part of the case you won't know if the sexual assaults are real or not. And public urination could be taking a leak on a tree (how many times is this done any given Sunday at the Ralph) and being seen by a cop having a bad day.

People do bad things. And after all, football players are just people who happen to be good at football.

Tickets for Public Urination were extremely common back when I was in College.

As it relates to the Bills, I'm very surprised at the number of risks we seem to be taking with player character after getting rid of Stevie and the problems Marcell seems to be having. (Mike Williams and Seantel.)

Public urination? I can proudly day I was arrested for that. In Larkspur California. And, years earlier, in front of the Castaways hotel on Miami beach I was arrested for jaywalking. Even spent a night in jail for that one.

My low character allowed me to raise two children one a successful musician, the second my daughter a young doctor at St. Mary's in SF. Maybe I should fess up to them about my checkered and reckless past?

get a grip their kids, there human, they make mistakes. just like all of us.

any guy that says he has never urintaed in public is lying

its not an excuse but we are talking about kids here some of which didnt grow up in the best environments

i love the crowd that says they never did anything like that, give me a break...we all did stupid stuff when we were that age

Edited by Max997

Remember when the Bengals were the Bungles? How did they get to being the Bengals again? Not being afraid to take a risk on a talented player with character issues.

Edited by Kemp2Warlick

any guy that says he has never urintaed in public is lying

its not an excuse but we are talking about kids here some of which didnt grow up in the best environments

i love the crowd that says they never did anything like that, give me a break...we all did stupid stuff when we were that age

I'm not so sure it's the people who did stupid stuff when we were younger, it's more so WHAT is being done. I know I did some stupid stuff, but nothing like hitting a woman, possible sexual assaults, and regardless of your stance on pot or other drug use, your livelyhood says no you don't do it, then guess what? DON'T DO IT. The majority of us have all done stupid things, but it seems and perhaps it's just perception and not always getting the whole story, but that these kids are pushing the envelope more than what we did.

I watched every minute of the NFL Draft this past weekend and I can't tell you how many times I heard that the so and so player had a checkered past or character issues.

There was, theft, drugs, guns, pot, sexual assault and one guy was charged with public urination. Yet these are the guys we cheer for on Sunday. Public Urination really? Did he score a TD and then pee on the goalpost in celebration?

Then to have to listen to the announcers on ESPN trying to justify what happened, why the guy was charged with sexual assault against another student, but hey those records are sealed, on to the next pick.

On Sunday on ESPN, Heisman Trophy Winner Jameis Winstons Father said that FSU needs to provide his son with 24/7 security. This after his son was charged with theft at a Florida Publix for stealing Crab legs. Do the Parents shoulder any responsibility for their sons actions, does the player?

Why do these charges get dropped year after year for jocks. If you drove a bus or worked as a nurse or a clerk at the 7 Eleven your ass would be going to jail.

Last season this kid had a sexual assault charge, which sounds like was covered up.

This kid is on a bad path, and if he can't straighten out he's going to be wearing a number and a Orange jumpsuit like O.J. rather than a Jersey and helmet.

Most of these kids grew up with nothing or complete opposite were very spoiled.....

Remember when the Bengals were the Bungles? How did they get to being the Bengals again? Not being afraid to take a risk on a talented player with character issues.

One thing that has been a constant in Cinci is the "bad character guys". They weren't choir boys when they were bad and then stocked up on "bad character guys" and then suddenly became good.

There are two sides to every story... I'm not trying to suggest anything one way or the other or make a blanket statement about all the prospects- but any time there is a report of one person claiming that something happened, there is the possibility that the said act did not actually happen. Sexual assaults for example have the highest "false reporting" rate in the country...

Sex assaults against women are a great example of bias in the country by the people, police, judge, juries, universities, the NFL against women Women that report them become a victim a second time. The true crime is how the women are treated over and over again. Over and over again universities seek to protect their own reputation and that of their holy sports program at the expense of their female students. Read up on what just went on at the University of Missouri. Abuse of women by the university system is an epidemic and a national disgrace. A football player can beat the living sh1t out of his girlfriend or wife and walk away with a slap on the wrists especially if he says I found Jesus and want counseling.

I'm not so sure it's the people who did stupid stuff when we were younger, it's more so WHAT is being done. I know I did some stupid stuff, but nothing like hitting a woman, possible sexual assaults, and regardless of your stance on pot or other drug use, your livelyhood says no you don't do it, then guess what? DON'T DO IT. The majority of us have all done stupid things, but it seems and perhaps it's just perception and not always getting the whole story, but that these kids are pushing the envelope more than what we did.

I dont think this behavior is anything new its just not being covered up like it used to be

Not to belittle the OP's point -- which I think is valid -- but is there a human male over the age of 5 that has never urinated in public?

Or even younger. i remember my boys when they were 3 or 4 and outside would just drop trou and pee in the yard rather than waste time going inside. Couldn't fault their logic.

My wife LOVED it when one did it once at her work picnic in front of probably 20 co-workers.

Suddenly it was MY fault! ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

There was, theft, drugs, guns, pot, sexual assault and one guy was charged with public urination. Yet these are the guys we cheer for on Sunday. Public Urination really?

Ths is one of the most unintentionally funny statements I've seen on the board in awhile. You list a bunch of pretty heinous offences and then single out the public urination for your "really?"

Sick of high character Choir boys, Get some bad asses who can play football on this team and lets get to winning