Kiper gives Bills low marks in draft

Almost every football analyst out there gave the Bills a bad grade for this years draft for one reason. They all think the Bills gave up to much for Watkins.

To put it in perspective, last year the Dolphins moved down from #12 down to #3 with the Raiders, and only gave up a 2nd round pick. I can only think the sole reason that gave up next years #1 & #4 is because they didn't want to give up anything in this years draft.

Now, Watkins had better show on the field that he was worthy of that trade. Is he that much better then WR Mike Evans, TE Eric Ebron, WR Odell Beckham Jr? The Bills could have stayed put and still drafted both those three mentioned, or traded back and gotten any one of a number of different positions along with an extra #2.

Time will tell.

That plus I bet there was other competition for Watkins which upped the Ante ...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody went and looked at the past 15 years of mock drafts and ranked how the "experts" did. Kiper was ranked 20 out of 28th. He sucks. He is wrong more often than not and his opinion is just that, his opinion. It really means nothing. The game has really passed him by. He managed to make millions of dollars with mock drafts and draft guides by just getting name out there on ESPN when the draft started to take off. I've never read one of his draft guides. Have to pay for it on ESPN Insider now anyway. Besides, it's really worthless to grade drafts before anyone drafted actually plays in the NFL. My Bills draft grade? B.That's no more or less meaningful than what Kiper or anyone else thinks.

20th of 28th based on what? How close of a relationship his mock is to the actual draft order (in which case who cares?)? Or how good the players actually turn out to be relative to his board?

As for only allowing grades after the fact...nobody is stopping you from doing a write up of the 2008 draft. I'm sure everyone will be on pins & needles to learn that Glenn Dorsey & Vernon Gholston actually suck.

One thing I noticed is Kiper lowered a teams grade for not having a 1st round pick because they traded it away. For the Bills he lowered our grade in this draft because we traded away next years 1st.

What happened to just grading the draft picks? I guess we can expect to have a low draft grade next year because we dont have a 1st.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

What happened to just grading the draft picks? I guess we can expect to have a low draft grade next year because we dont have a 1st.

Yep. I mentioned that in other posts. I would bet anything a bunch of these cretins penalize us both years for something that happened once.

Bleacher Report has come quite a long way since its inception and they actually have quite a few excellent and very professional writers/analysts in their arsenal. Some of the most succinct and meaningful NFL analysis that I have seen recently has come via Bleacher Report.

Its laughable that this site bans their articles.. The people in charge at 2BD are ego maniacs, as well as the people that remove any well written post and put it in a "topic is being discussed in previous thread, please search bullcrap".. Yet I have been coming here since the 90s.. I fully believe that people can easily change but Bleacher report could start their own tv station, surpass ESPN in ratings, hire all the best writers, and you will have idiots saying that some douche was sitting on the toilet while writing the latest Bleacher report article.. In the real world, the site covers the Bills, generates almost daily information/articles, and other that some EgoManiac's opinion deserves to be part of a site build primarily from discussion board success..

Kiper had value years ago simply because no one else was as into the draft, and he was the most concentrated source of information. With the internet and so much coverage these days, his lack of player evaluation skills are obvious. A few years ago he chatted up Jimmy Clausen to no end, how he was moving up boards and how great he'd be in the pros. And a big part of the reason he rated Colts draft so low this year is because they spent their first on Trent Richardson, whom Kiper had this to say about Cleveland taking him in 2012:

"To have a multi-dimensional player on the field that you never have to take off the field, like Steven Jackson with the Rams, and he never fumbles the ball, that’s tough to overlook. For this team and what Richardson brings you, you don’t need anybody else at that spot. He can carry the workload because he can catch. He will block, doesn’t fumble, can return kicks if you want, runs inside, runs outside. Richardson is the third-best player in this draft.”

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I tend to agree that Bleacher Report is way improved. Their format doesn't do much for me but they have been turning out some great content lately. They seem to write what they anticipate die hard fans want to see as opposed to sensationalistic garbage.

When I am bored and surfing the net, I occasionally go to the CNN web site. From there, if you click SPORTS you go to the Bleacher Report. Until recently, clicking SPORTS in the CNN site would take you to Sports Illustrated. I think having a major outlet like CNN use them as their sports site must mean that the Bleacher Report has received some significant financial gain, and thus their product is improving. And their very very brief summary of the draft highlights was easy to follow. Probably because it was so brief.

I tend to agree that Bleacher Report is way improved. Their format doesn't do much for me but they have been turning out some great content lately. They seem to write what they anticipate die hard fans want to see as opposed to sensationalistic garbage.

BR has changed their editorial policy for the better and they have stopped simply letting any bozo with a Pentium and a dialup connection submit to the site.

Even a year ago this was not the case.

Mel Kiper gave the Bills a C- grade for the draft. LOL

It's the traditional time to assign letter grades to teams' draft hauls and this year is no different. ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.'s draft grades are postedin.gif and the Buffalo Bills did not fare well.

Kiper gave the Bills a "C-minus," the second-lowest grade of any team. Only the Colts, with a "D-plus" grade, had a worse draft, according to Kiper.

The grade is divided into two parts: "needs" and "value." Kiper gave the Bills a "D-plus" for needs and a "C" for value.

What does mean?? It means the Bills had a great draft and Kiper is a moron. Everybody said Watkins was the best offensive and perhaps player in the draft. But God forbid that the Bills actually trade up and get the "best Player". When the Bills finish 10-6 and Watkins has 1300 yards and 8tds the experts can stuff it.

I will never understand how that man has managed to have a job in this industry. His opinions mean less than nothing to me, even less than Jerry Sullivan's horse pucky articels, and that's really saying something. Calling Kiper a DoucheBag, is an insult to the DouchBag nation.