Colt Lyerla

If you're a team, do you want people boycotting you and staging protests because your UDFA TE is calling the parents of murdered kids liars?

There's a PR nightmare risk here, such that it's really not worth entertaining signing this guy just to have a minor chance at having a star TE. People want to talk about second chances, etc, but Lyerla had the chance to play for a premier college program, a title contender, and botched it to the Nth degree. He is not serious about succeeding at life or in the NFL, and I wouldn't be squandering a roster spot on him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still wish we'd bring him in. Considering we had mike caussin on our team all those years. At least this guy has talent. Worth a shot IMO. I'm not a fan of our TEs. Wish we could've added someone.

While I'm not a fan of Bleacher Report here is a link to an interesting article about him. From reading this I can't see how anyone can give him a chance. There are just way too many demons in his past to ignore.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent&ei=MI9yU77dBKLNsQSjioGIBQ&usg=AFQjCNHMxJ09Ajr5W-x8Dg4xo1vQBFuFNA&bvm=bv.66330100,d.cWc

While I'm not a fan of Bleacher Report here is a link to an interesting article about him. From reading this I can't see how anyone can give him a chance. There are just way too many demons in his past to ignore.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2061952-is-colt-lyerla-worth-the-risk-as-an-nfl-undrafted-free-agent&ei=MI9yU77dBKLNsQSjioGIBQ&usg=AFQjCNHMxJ09Ajr5W-x8Dg4xo1vQBFuFNA&bvm=bv.66330100,d.cWc

What gets under my skin is when you scroll down, it shows a tweet from Chip Kelly saying, "arguably the best athlete in the country" yet you don't draft him. I say to that, don't tweet at all.

I been saying I liked this kid before the draft and I really hope we give him a try (if he hasn't already been invited to camp by another team).

Come on Whaley, bring this kid in and I promise I won't speak bad about anything you do for at least a year.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

What gets under my skin is when you scroll down, it shows a tweet from Chip Kelly saying, "arguably the best athlete in the country" yet you don't draft him. I say to that, don't tweet at all.

And yet Chip Kelly didn't draft him or sign him.

That's what I'm saying.

If he thinks Colt is the best athlete in the country but still didn't draft/sign him, then I'd trust Kelly knows better than anyone in the NFL how legitimate the red flags are. If the red flags were overblown, Lyerla would be an Eagle.

Being good at your job is important. Just as important is showing up every day, working with other people, and acting like a professional.

And yet Chip Kelly didn't draft him or sign him.

One possible problem is that teams see they have no leverage with the guy. His own agent is running around and tanking his rep for him. Instead of letting it go and confirming that Lyerla was dismissed from the team, he's calling up reporters and demanding that they retract and state that it was Lyerla's decision to leave the team. In other words, the agent is emphatically telling everyone Lyerla quit and valued snorting nose candy over playing football. How do you keep him in line as his employer? "We won't let you play if you don't get straight" is an empty threat apparently. The record is there and broadcast in stereo.

Being good at your job is important. Just as important is showing up every day, working with other people, and acting like a professional.

All of that is understood well and is fine and dandy. Point made, point gotten. But, what does is cost us to just invite the kid to camp and have a look see? Work him out, bring him to camp and get a closer look ourselves. Or any other team also.

I believe in people changing in an instant. If something so life changing happens to someone, it can change their outlook from that moment on. Maybe not being drafted or even picked up as an UDFA was that moment for this kid. But you'll never know til you bring him in.

All of that is understood well and is fine and dandy. Point made, point gotten. But, what does is cost us to just invite the kid to camp and have a look see? Work him out, bring him to camp and get a closer look ourselves. Or any other team also.

I believe in people changing in an instant. If something so life changing happens to someone, it can change their outlook from that moment on. Maybe not being drafted or even picked up as an UDFA was that moment for this kid. But you'll never know til you bring him in.

Let's see we could bring in a top college athlete who went undrafted who for the last ten years has dilligently worked out, learned the game, been on-time, stayed in top condition and wants nothing more in life than to get a chance to be a professional football player or we could use that spot to bring in some coked out whackadoo who can jump really high but has shown no inclination to give a rats butt about the game, attending practice or any other aspect that would make him a professional. EVERYBODY has passed on this guy over 7 rounds and extra 300 undrafted free agents. So, No,