Bills Draft/trade Grades - how do you rate this week's activity?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A+. Even got the RB , I think will help. Our OL vets are sweating now. I think four get cut. Pears,Legursky.Hairston Young,Welch are gonna have to step it up bigtime,to earn a backup job.

I agree A+. The OL should be an area of strength now. Hopefully this new OL will open holes for the RB's, protect EJ to make TD strikes to Sammy. Its going to be a fun camp and pre season watching all the OL battles take place.

B-

There are real concerns about Kouandjio's ability to handle the pass rush.

WR's can take time to develop though with all the bubble screens that teams run now they can get the ball to Watkins in creative easy ways.

I am not very concerned about the lost 2015 draft pick.

Love the move to add another RB via trade.

I am still concerned about the DE position. I don't see how Lawson as the answer there. Looks like the draft was weakest in DE and RB. Maybe they still make a move to bring in a veteran to help shore up that spot.

I will rate it a B+.

GRADE A for They piled depth upon depth on the offensive line. Drafted a starting RIGHT offensive tackle like I hoped they would do (as opposed to overpaying for a LOT and wasting the draft resource). They they piled on two more big galoots for the offensive line, who are talented players and might even be the starting guards in a year or two. We are going to be able to run the ball.

Grade B+ and cudoes for cahones Getting rid of Stevie for something and getting the best WR was a good move. We now have a classic #1 receiver, who will lock up the attention of the defence. That will also help the running game. Was it worth two #1 picks? Time will tell.

Grade B+ We drafted one corner who has size, smarts, speed and will make the roster. Gotta keep bringing these guys in every year.

Grade B+ We didn't reach for an okay safety and will develop our own internally, or play more with one safety. Realize with 4 and 5 WR sets, the safety has to be able to handle a WR one-on-one and has to be able to run with the fast "tight ends" who set up split out. The game is changing and we are moving correctly with the times.

Grade B We drafted two middle linebackers to back up our rental guys and take over sooner or later. Good Move. We got two shots at finding a guy who can be a good NFL starter. I would like to have seen a fast, sideline to sideline coverage outside linebacker.

Grade D We didn't draft a defensive end to bookend Mario. I know that the story is that we can somehow have our (face it this is what they are) 3-4 pass rush 230 pound outside linebackers somehow set the edge against pulling 300 pound linemen. I don't believe it. I do think that this was not a year for a lot of superior defensive ends, so maybe its okay and I should blame fate. Maybe I should give them a mulligan on this if the DE's available were really reaches.

Just posted this in the other thread but I'd rather see a top-to-bottom roster evaluation at present, with holes and question marks left, as well as positions of strength. It would be far more interesting and productive, and it would make for a better conversation among posters here, for instance regarding differences of opinion on what those weaknesses are.

Just posted this in the other thread but I'd rather see a top-to-bottom roster evaluation at present, with holes and question marks left, as well as positions of strength. It would be far more interesting and productive, and it would make for a better conversation among posters here, for instance regarding differences of opinion on what those weaknesses are.

Yes, sir. Will jump on that right away!

Go ahead and throw stones, but I give it a tentative C. Again, I am hard pressed to understand how any Bills Fan cannot see that it was based not on building the team as much as it was on Brandon, Whaley and Marrone keeping their jobs with new ownership.

That said, if EJ develops it can be an A. If he sucks, this draft can be as low as F.

Go ahead and throw stones, but I give it a tentative C. Again, I am hard pressed to understand how any Bills Fan cannot see that it was based not on building the team as much as it was on Brandon, Whaley and Marrone keeping their jobs with new ownership.

That said, if EJ develops it can be an A. If he sucks, this draft can be as low as F.

Three highly rated OL (not perfect specimens, but all given top 3-round grades at some point) and you're that dissatisfied?

Disagree about the jobs w/ new ownership. As a new owner I would be a bit peeved about not having a first round pick in 2015 if the team hasn't made the playoffs.

Bill...you are one of the best posters here, so no stones from me. I just don't agree with you.

They don't know who the new owners will be. And, if it is like you said, they feel the need to "win now" to pass the tests for the new owners, is that a bad thing? They addressed some very legitimate needs with this draft. In fact, the only thing they didn't really address, this whole off season (it isn't just the draft that goes into building a team these days) is a new starting tight end. But even there, it seems, they are pining their hopes on Gragg or Moeaki...and if they don't step up or work out, then there is still Chandler... maligned as he is around here, he is still a serviceable NFL tight end.

What does EJ's development have to do with Draft Grades? It only matters if you believe we should have taken a QB in the first two days.....and if you think Murray or otherwise deserved to be drafted in those rounds, then 32 GM's disagreed with you. Personally, I will defer to their judgement and evaluation.

I think Whaley knocked it out of the park.

Solid A.

Bill...you are one of the best posters here, so no stones from me. I just don't agree with you.

They don't know who the new owners will be. And, if it is like you said, they feel the need to "win now" to pass the tests for the new owners, is that a bad thing? They addressed some very legitimate needs with this draft. In fact, the only thing they didn't really address, this whole off season (it isn't just the draft that goes into building a team these days) is a new starting tight end. But even there, it seems, they are pining their hopes on Gragg or Moeaki...and if they don't step up or work out, then there is still Chandler... maligned as he is around here, he is still a serviceable NFL tight end.

About time we adopted a win now attitude, isn't it?

Hahahaha, the absolute highest grade they will get anywhere is a C-, from people in the know, and they will mostly get a Ds.

Not true. Two of the analysts on NFL Network gave A and B+.

I say B+. Of course, we'll all know in three or more years.

SO, what is the grade on the 2011 draft?

They addressed some very legitimate needs with this draft. In fact, the only thing they didn't really address, this whole off season (it isn't just the draft that goes into building a team these days) is a new starting tight end.

Thanks for the kind words.

The above is where we disagree. They didn't address the QB position. And btw, I am a fan of Thad Lewis in that as we speak, I don't view him as a worse QB than Manuel. He does admittedly appear to have a lower ceiling.

That said, Tuel? They really should have taken a shot at another qb after trading away a 1st in 2015. None of us know where this pick will land. It could be #25 or top 5.

I have been trying, but I cannot justify not taking a stab at one of them, especially given the fact of how late many of them fell.

Jmo my friend.

There are a lot of ways to grade this draft. If you are focusing on the strategy and tactics (i.e. trades, acquisitions of players) and the sheer chutzpah of the new front office, you have to give them an A. When It comes the players, they are either going to bargains or busts. Time will tell. Right now I would grade that aspect of the draft a solid "B". The grade could go either way.

I'm not happy with the trade up for Watkins and lose a 1st next yr. Too many good WR's in this draft to do that. I love the Oline picks, Marrone should know what he's doing there.

After reading all these excellent posts and getting caught up.

I was thrown when they drafted Watkins K2W. I thought they were serious about "going for it " with the first pick . But was chanting Mack !Mack! after Bortles went and the trade pick banner was scroling.

Bills went for the Best player in the draft . because he is game changer and so explosve. He is also a no risk player. Has it all down to his shoelaces. Not my pick but fairly awesome.

so after further review i can see the pick being the best one possible on all counts.

I rate this draft and off season...

FUN as hell.

Lots of As and A+s on this thread. But the first Draft Grades I googled came up with C, B, C+, C-, B and C+ for the Bills. I hope this board is right, and the "experts" are wrong.

Bills consistently get graded a C in the draft by experts. Guess they are correct, because this team can't win more than 7 games for years now.

C- I really think they overpaid big time to move up just 5 spots. However they did get a very dynamic offensive player. I hated the Stevie trade. But I really liked the 2nd round pick and their mid round selections were good too. I think it was a big mistake to trade Stevie for a mid rounder because with Watkins, Williams, and Woods around him Stevie could have been a dynamic slot receiver. Although I understand that it makes for more playing time for Woods I still think it was a big mistake esp when you consider the value they got back for him.

The trade for Brown was decent a bit steep of a price but they needed a Running Back so its not tragic. They didn't get a backup QB which is OK with me since any QB drafted in the 4th round or later wasn't going to be better than Thad Lewis as a backup. They didn't get a tight end which is a historically neglected position for some reason. They also left Free Safety and a pass rusher opposite Mario as holes on the roster. They weren't going to fill every need on the roster but they filled a decent amount of needs (Playmaker on offense, RT, and depth at RB, LB, and CB).

Edited by billsfan89