RD5, Pick #153: OG Cyril Richardson - Baylor University

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looked like a great pick and should push Chris Williams from Day 1. Not to mention if Henderson can get his head straight he offers much needed depth at Tackle. If you get 2/3 of Kuoandjio, Richardson and Henderson starting this draft was a huge success and that's without taking into consideration Watkins

The line has the potential to be very good this year, specially in the running game. I envision it looking like this:

RT Kouandjio

RG Richardson

C Wood

LG Williams

LT Glenn

That is a big group of men that can be very physical and clear running lanes.

From what I've read, I think this kid has a serious shot of starting by the end of the season. A lot of places had him as one of the top OGs, if not the best, in the draft. He was a high 2nd round pick in a lot of scouting reports.

Luckily he had a bad weekend at the Senior Bowl. I also think a lot of Teams probably thought he wouldn't fit in their system. He is perfect in ours. Power run blocker that has mammoth size. Some scouts had his pass blocking just as good, if not better, them his run blocking. He had massive arms that are a huge asset in run blocking.

I can't wait to see our running attack this year with the addition of him and Kouandjio. 6'5" / 340 and 6'7" / 325 are massive additions to the line. Just imagine the holes that those 2 will open up plus Glenn and Woods. Spiller should have some big holes to slice through. Bryce Brown is a bruising back that loves to cut inside and exploit holes that a bulldozer like Richardson open.

I can't wait to see what Marrone can do with Richardson technique wise since he only had 1 year of HS ball & 5 years at Baylor. If he was that dominant as a raw prospect, just imagine how he'll look after a few months under Marrones's wings.

I really like the direction this offense is heading. We will have size & muscle up front and the power in the backfield with the addition of Brown and Dixon to dominate teams in those cold, crappy 2nd half of the season games. Once the defense is worn out from getting pounded by the biggest oline in the NFL and Dixon/FJax/Brown, Spiller will be unstoppable

Well, I think such a big line has the potential to wear out defenses, but there's a reason that some of the best O-lines have been on the small side, like Denver's during the Elway era. When you go up against very quick defensive lineman like Kyle Williams, it's more important to be equally quick that powerful. Same goes for size: a 6-8 guy can be bullrushed by a strong 6-2 guy if he doesn't really bend his knees, which is hard to do consistently. This is why I was heartened by video of Cyrus K. recovering from such a bullrush after initially being pushed way back. A final reason bigger isn't necessarily better: the pulling game. Remember the Super Bowl Bills using the Redskins counter-trey? If you have mobile guards especially, you have a lot of options.

In short, I'm more worried than pleased by Whaley's preference for big linemen. I just hope he isn't single minded about it, assuming bigger = effective, especially after the Colin Brown travesty last year and his first response: plugging in a player whom everyone agrees has been mediocre (Chris Williams) but is big.

Well, I think such a big line has the potential to wear out defenses, but there's a reason that some of the best O-lines have been on the small side, like Denver's during the Elway era. When you go up against very quick defensive lineman like Kyle Williams, it's more important to be equally quick that powerful. Same goes for size: a 6-8 guy can be bullrushed by a strong 6-2 guy if he doesn't really bend his knees, which is hard to do consistently. This is why I was heartened by video of Cyrus K. recovering from such a bullrush after initially being pushed way back. A final reason bigger isn't necessarily better: the pulling game. Remember the Super Bowl Bills using the Redskins counter-trey? If you have mobile guards especially, you have a lot of options.

In short, I'm more worried than pleased by Whaley's preference for big linemen. I just hope he isn't single minded about it, assuming bigger = effective, especially after the Colin Brown travesty last year and his first response: plugging in a player whom everyone agrees has been mediocre (Chris Williams) but is big.

I agree. You definitely can't get the job done with just massive individuals.. they need to be able to move. Richardson played in one of the best and most up tempo offenses in college football at Baylor. He is very good at pulling and in pass protection. He has pretty quick feet for a man of his size and his foot speed/ability to mirror the defender was praised in scouting reports.

Kouandjio was one of the most athletic OT's in the draft. He isn't just a size guy either. He pretty much is your prototypical OT in today's NFL: 6'7" / 322 lbs, massive arms, and just 16% body fat. That is amazing to me. Watching him get drafted and in mini camp, he isn't "fat" at all; just massive dude who looks strong as an ox. He has huge arms which is key for your OT to be able to keep those DE's at bay from a distance.

• 4 weeks later...

"The one comment that gives us pause about Richardson came from general manager Doug Whaley when the Bills traded for Mike Williams earlier this offseason. Whaley said that a sixth-round pick, which the Bills gave up for Williams, may not make the team's roster this season. Being a fifth-round pick gives Richardson more security, but perhaps the Bills wouldn't have a problem parting with a later-round draft choice"

Really? That's Rodaks reasoning?

"The one comment that gives us pause about Richardson came from general manager Doug Whaley when the Bills traded for Mike Williams earlier this offseason. Whaley said that a sixth-round pick, which the Bills gave up for Williams, may not make the team's roster this season. Being a fifth-round pick gives Richardson more security, but perhaps the Bills wouldn't have a problem parting with a later-round draft choice"

Really? That's Rodaks reasoning?

He is soooooooo stupid

I was more taken aback by the part about Legursky projecting as the top interior back up. I will be really surprised if he makes the team. They can use Richardson, Urbik, Pears, Hairston, Wood and Williams as their interior guys. All of those guys can play multiple positions as well.

I was more taken aback by the part about Legursky projecting as the top interior back up. I will be really surprised if he makes the team. They can use Richardson, Urbik, Pears, Hairston, Wood and Williams as their interior guys. All of those guys can play multiple positions as well.

And to us thats so obvious. We have very little invested in Legursky , wish him well .

Mike Rodak is an idiot, seriously...his "biggest fallers" of OTA's were, none other than...

1. EJ Manuel, starting QB

2. Mike Williams, starting WR

3. Sammy Watkins, starting WR

4. Scott Chandler, starting TE

He is as about as clueless as they come...it's downright embarrassing.

Mike Rodak is an idiot, seriously...his "biggest fallers" of OTA's were, none other than...

1. EJ Manuel, starting QB

2. Mike Williams, starting WR

3. Sammy Watkins, starting WR

4. Scott Chandler, starting TE

He is as about as clueless as they come...it's downright embarrassing.

only if we let him think we give an F.

But folks will always discuss matters of the Bills. Especially when a writer looks down on us Bills nuts.

Screw him and his pygmy pony he rode in on. PFFFFFFFFFFT. Let it roll Bob . Karma has a keen eye on such characters I assure you ...lol