Schefter: Eagles trade Bryce Brown to Bills

Punch

And only time will tell, in fairness of disclosure - I really do like the RB and how the BILLS conducted the business to get him, plus they waited over a year and worked the deal to get it done, so they must have really wanted him and that means something in the long run - but, let's also keep in mind Arian Foster was an UDFA and a number of other good to great RBs go late in a Draft....don't mistake my optimism to be that I think Brown will resemble Foster in production, I'm just pointing it out to balance the fact that CJ's production and Draft position may not be correlated...JMO

Pretty much spot on. The Bills really wanted this guy. That was a lot of persistence for a 'third string" back. Nothing against Freddie or CJ but this means something and I believe sooner rather than later. Freddie had a good year last year but he was the oldest running back last year in the league. Yeah I know he has more tread than most guys his age but father time is catching up. Spiller won't or can't run between the tackles the way Marrone wants. I know he had a high ankle sprain but the guy gets dinged up pretty regularly. The bills brought in plenty of RBs for predraft visits so the trade for Brown is a telltale sign that something is up.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much spot on. The Bills really wanted this guy. That was a lot of persistence for a 'third string" back. Nothing against Freddie or CJ but this means something and I believe sooner rather than later. Freddie had a good year last year but he was the oldest running back last year in the league. Yeah I know he has more tread than most guys his age but father time is catching up. Spiller won't or can't run between the tackles the way Marrone wants. I know he had a high ankle sprain but the guy gets dinged up pretty regularly. The bills brought in plenty of RBs for predraft visits so the trade for Brown is a telltale sign that something is up.

I don't think the Bills are doing anything sinister with this trade and was not at all surprised. I think they planned on drafting one and when the one(s) they wanted were gone, the pulled the trigger on a guy already in the league who fits what they are looking for and has little wear and tear, has a cheap contract, is only 22, and already shown he can produce in the time he has had. The only thing that it is a sign of is that both of their starting RBs are FAs at the end of the year and one is already the oldest in the league. They can continue with these RBs. Fred is not getting younger, and there is no way around that, I think they will play all 3. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think the Bills are doing anything sinister with this trade and was not at all surprised. I think they planned on drafting one and when the one(s) they wanted were gone, the pulled the trigger on a guy already in the league who fits what they are looking for and has little wear and tear, has a cheap contract, is only 22, and already shown he can produce in the time he has had. The only thing that it is a sign of is that both of their starting RBs are FAs at the end of the year and one is already the oldest in the league. They can continue with these RBs. Fred is not getting younger, and there is no way around that, I think they will play all 3.

I did not mean to suggest something sinister. I believe Brown will be given an opportunity to showcase his talents and the Bills will evaluate. I agree with you that all 3 will play. There may be a shift though in the Bills philosophy on the number of carries and the situations in which these RBs will be used. I don't think they traded for Brown to use him the way they used Tashard Choice which was infrequently.

NCAA is a farce so not worried about him running into problems with them. Not like he was arrested or anything like that in college. Seemed like he had some growing up to do but haven't read anything yet that suggests he's a bad guy. More worried about his fumbles.

NCAA is a farce so not worried about him running into problems with them. Not like he was arrested or anything like that in college. Seemed like he had some growing up to do but haven't read anything yet that suggests he's a bad guy. More worried about his fumbles.

Be not afraid. Brown has fumbled 4 times on 211 lifetime touches, or, about once every 53 touches, with all four fumbles coming on his first 128 touches as a rookie. Similarly, CJ has fumbled 14 times on 729 lifetime touches, or, about once every 52 touches, including five fumbles on 98 touches as a rookie. I submit that adjusting to the pro game, from a ball protection standpoint, may be more difficult than it seems. I cede that Brown has a smaller sample size, but both players seem to have made strides since their rookie years. I figure, either you worry about both, or neither. That said, these fumble rates compare favorably to Reggie Bush, who fumbles once every 50.5 touches. Thus, I don't particularly worry about fumble issues going forward. We should be all right. For the sake of completeness, it should be noted that our elder statesman, Mr. Jackson, has fumbled 22 times on 1,394 lifetime touches, or, about once every 63 touches. Go Bills.

He was a rock star coming out of HS and I think it just got to his head. Some of his stupid career moves in college are surely the result of hiring an idiot rapper to be your agent. I think being a 7th round pick and a backup in Philly has knocked the diva attitude out of him.

He was a rock star coming out of HS and I think it just got to his head. Some of his stupid career moves in college are surely the result of hiring an idiot rapper to be your agent. I think being a 7th round pick and a backup in Philly has knocked the diva attitude out of him.

I like your thought. And if he hasn't had the diva knocked out of him, perhaps getting traded will do it.

I like your thought. And if he hasn't had the diva knocked out of him, perhaps getting traded will do it.

I expect he is ready to go to work, as they say.

I like A. Dixon too . So i am pleased where this is headed.

Now let me say this please without fuss.

I hope that Fred retires a Buffalo Bill . That would be awesome . Please no response to that folks. I just wanted to say it.