Stevie Johnson Trade Value

Yes, let's trade away our best WR and the best route runner in the NFL. A 5th or 6th round pick is totally worth it. The Bills will run with Mike Williams and Watkins on the outside and Stevie in the slot.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, let's trade away our best WR and the best route runner in the NFL. A 5th or 6th round pick is totally worth it. The Bills will run with Mike Williams and Watkins on the outside and Stevie in the slot.

If SJ is still our best WR, the Bills just traded away a top 10 pick next year.

But I agree there should be no rush to dump him for the late round pick he'd command on the market, but they may do so anyway to save some money.

If SJ is still our best WR, the Bills just traded away a top 10 pick next year.

But I agree there should be no rush to dump him for the late round pick he'd command on the market, but they may do so anyway to save some money.

As of right now Stevie is our best WR simply because Watkins has never stepped on an NFL field before. Also, trading Stevie this year doesn't really save much money.

Edited by Fingon

Well said. Obviously, Watkins has all the potential in the world, but he still needs to prove it. I mean if you got a 1st or 2nd for SJ, sure. But what purpose does a late round pick serve? Why not have the best 1-4 receiving core in the NFL?

Also, do we really want Mike Williams as our veteran receiver leader? Dude's been a knucklehead since Riverside. Stevie bleeds Bills and Buffalo. It's funny that his "haters" still kill him for stuff he did 3 years ago. Yet, they forget last year he played a game the day after his mother died.

Stevie Johnson helped make the Bills cool again. He will be a great influence on Watkins. Trading that leadership alone for a 5th or 6th rounder is stupid IMO.

Well said. Obviously, Watkins has all the potential in the world, but he still needs to prove it. I mean if you got a 1st or 2nd for SJ, sure. But what purpose does a late round pick serve? Why not have the best 1-4 receiving core in the NFL?

Also, do we really want Mike Williams as our veteran receiver leader? Dude's been a knucklehead since Riverside. Stevie bleeds Bills and Buffalo. It's funny that his "haters" still kill him for stuff he did 3 years ago. Yet, they forget last year he played a game the day after his mother died.

Stevie Johnson helped make the Bills cool again. He will be a great influence on Watkins. Trading that leadership alone for a 5th or 6th rounder is stupid IMO.

The Bills are trying to win now and finally end the ridiculous streak of no playoff appearances. Why would they get rid of Stevie this season with this goal in mind?

Combination of his personality, high cap number, and last year's slump, I would be surprised if we got more than a 5th for him. Still worth it though, this team needs an infusion of youth and focus.

I would say it is the combination of a thin skinned coach loyal to yes men unqualified coordinators and wary of position coaches that have their own mind that landed us Watkins. Stevie is an excellent receiver who is not a robot and our coach can only handle robots.

Due to age and contract Stevie can't have much pick value in a trade but those are just factors, not causes to the situation. Don't get me wrong, I think Watkins can be great and I like him. I hope he lasts longer than Greggo Marrone.

I would like for the Bills to keep Stevie but don't think they will.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I think Steve Johnson will be on the Bills in 2014, beyond that who knows, but here's why:

1. Injuries.

And I'm not talking about SJ himself who until last year was the most reliable of the receiving core to start games. Marquise Goodwin missed 4 complete games last year when he broke his hand in the season opener and had to leave the New Orleans, KC and Miami games early. While he is a dynamic threat, his injuries seem to come often a la Roscoe Parish. Mike Williams is coming off a 6 game year with TB because of a torn hamstring. Even Robert Woods wasn't able to escape the injury bug and missed 2 games.

2. Mike Williams.

The guy is a complete unknown. He could turn out to be great pickup, although he hasn't been nearly as consistent in TB as SJ has here, so there are doubts. Then there's his off the field problems. The guy racked up $200,000 in team fines by missing meetings in TB. He's also do a big pay rise next year, the Bills are getting him super cheap this year. Let's say they cut SJ and Mike Williams has an off year or something happens off the field. Now that great depth the Bills have currently is gone as the Bills would be stupid to keep MW and pay that huge salary. If anything this is a tryout year for Williams and if he proves himself he could be great trade bait for the Bills.

3. Inexperience.

As much as fans want to say they know for a fact that Robert Woods or any of the younger receivers are better than SJ now, the fact is there is absolutely no proof of that. Could they be? Sure. But at this very moment there isn't anyway to know. With SJ you at least have consistency when he's healthy. You know what he brings and there is no harm in keeping him for 2014 to make sure these younger receivers are really going to develop. And SJ brings 7 years experience to a WR core that if they got rid of him would have Mike Williams be the vet.

I also think his trade value, with an off year and injury, is really low. If you keep him this year and he has a better year his trade value goes up much like Mike Williams does.

Just some thoughts.

Good Post. Let's wait for some of these young guys to prove they can play before we dump a guy that has already done so it. I’m sick of having to play scrubs once the injury bug hits because we have no depth.

He isnt a difference maker, it wouldnt be a toss...it would be get something good in return...our wr corps is very full with young talent potential.

Fixed. Let's wait for Watkins to prove he's an every down, true #1 WR before we anoint him so.

I think people need to keep their expectations for Watkins in check. Just because we gave up so much for him doesn’t make him the next Randy Moss. It would be nice but I don’t expect that he will start the season as this team’s #1 WR but I do expect that he will be next year. This season I expect him to be part of a great platoon and will need to have a bunch of plays designed specifically for him, like screens/quick hits. Most WRs take time to learn the NFL game which involves reading defenses, making adjustments on the fly, etc. I get the feeling some on this board will call him a bust if he doesn’t go for 80 catches, 1200 yards & 8 tds this year.

The Bills are trying to win now and finally end the ridiculous streak of no playoff appearances. Why would they get rid of Stevie this season with this goal in mind?

Agreed. It would be mind blowingly stupid.

I would say it is the combination of a thin skinned coach loyal to yes men unqualified coordinators and wary of position coaches that have their own mind that landed us Watkins. Stevie is an excellent receiver who is not a robot and our coach can only handle robots.

Due to age and contract Stevie can't have much pick value in a trade but those are just factors, not causes to the situation. Don't get me wrong, I think Watkins can be great and I like him. I hope he lasts longer than Greggo Marrone.

They just paid him like a $2 million roster bonus.

I've read a lot baseless and unfounded posts over the years. This is certainly one of them.

Well, that's not a very good idea. So because you are emotionally upset at Stevie for something (didn't come to your sleepover?), you want to 'just get rid of him'. That doesn't make any sense. you don't toss away talented players because of ???

Really!?!?! WOW

I've read a lot baseless and unfounded posts over the years. This is certainly one of them.

Which part?

That Crossman and Hackett are unqualified?

That Stevie is a good receiver?

That the WR coach was dismissed with no real reason given while the special teams guy got a pat on the back?

Last year the Bills turned over like 45 % of the roster. It continues this season.

Byrd, Carrington, and Moats are already gone to other teams. Johnson, Hopkins are candidates to go also.

The Bills signed Spikes, Graham, Dixon and Williams already.

Leonard and Welch haven't been signed yet so the roster turn over continues.

What if the Bills give E.J. another weapon and hedge their bets by selecting RB Carlos Hyde? That means Fred Jackson could be on his way out also. Fans would revolt as Fred is beloved by all in WNY, Fred's trade Value would be maybe a 6th, his locker room value would be missed.

Edited by oman128

Not being facetious. I don't think he nets higher than a 6th round pick- maybe not even that high. Who gives up a draft pick for a WR that wasn't very good last year, has only one year left on a big contract, may or may not have attitude issues(for the record I don't think he does), and his best years are long gone....

Dude will be 28 in July. His best years are behind him? I doubt that. He can play. He’s tough. He’ll be fine.

Edited by purple haze