I'd rather trade down for Lee than trade up for Watkins

Many people forget that Marquise Lee was arguably the best WR in college football in 2012. Last year was a disaster for him. Nagging injuries. Team had some issues. Certainly an off year.

Take a look at his highlights from 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAWJ2FRTRFg

If you knew you were getting the Lee from 2012, would you take him? I think I would. None of his injuries in 2013 were major. Just the nagging variety.

When you look at what it would cost us to move up, I have a very hard time justifying the cost, particularly in a year where the draft appears to be a very good one in rounds 2-4. I just don't want to see the Bills part with those picks. In fact, I'd love to see them acquire an extra one if possible. I firmly believe that trading down a few spots to take Lee + an extra 2nd rounder is a significantly better move than trading up for Watkins and LOSING a 2nd rounder.

Just one man's opinion. I'm sure I'll get roasted for it, but thought I'd put it on the record anyway!

Go Bills.

Many people forget that Marquise Lee was arguably the best WR in college football in 2012. Last year was a disaster for him. Nagging injuries. Team had some issues. Certainly an off year.

If you knew you were getting the Lee from 2012, would you take him? I think I would. None of his injuries in 2013 were major. Just the nagging variety.

When you look at what it would cost us to move up, I have a very hard time justifying the cost, particularly in a year where the draft appears to be a very good one in rounds 2-4. I just don't want to see the Bills part with those picks. In fact, I'd love to see them acquire an extra one if possible. I firmly believe that trading down a few spots to take Lee + an extra 2nd rounder is a significantly better move than trading up for Watkins and LOSING a 2nd rounder.

Just one man's opinion. I'm sure I'll get roasted for it, but thought I'd put it on the record anyway!

Go Bills.

I like the look of the #2 guy that keeps showing up the clip. We should get him.

Watkins or bust. And we already have Lee on our roster, his name is Woods.

I agree I would rather have Watkins but I would definitely take Marquise Lee over Robert Woods.

I like woods but his upside is limited compared to Lee. Coaches at USC agreed Lee was their #1

Edited by FluffHead

I agree I would rather have Watkins but I would definitely take Marquise Lee over Robert Woods.

I like woods but his upside is limited compared to Lee. Coaches at USC agreed Lee was their #1

Many agree that if Lee were eligible for the draft last year, he would have been a top 10 pick for sure. Maybe top 5. Comparing him to Woods simply because they went to the same school is just silly.

Watkins or bust. And we already have Lee on our roster, his name is Woods.

Robert Woods is a very, very good player, but he was almost an afterthought when playing on the same team and field as Lee in 2012, despite the numbers Woods also put up. I'm not sure what the deal was with Lee last year, outside of the fact the team was crappy and in upheaval for several games, and Lee had some injuries. But he was virtually unstoppable as a sophomore while lining up opposite of Woods. And he somewhat outplayed Woods when they went to the same high school, too. Woods was a year ahead, but as a senior, Lee had about 25 TDs or something ridiculous like that.

He's not a big WR though, which is what we need. Watkins plays a lot bigger than Lee does.

Between Stevie, and MWilliams, and Woods, Lee isn't the kind of player we need. His talent is off the charts though when he is healthy.

Go Bills.

Yeah, and then trade with the Eagles for Matt Barkley and you have the 2012 USC passing game.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

Go Bills.

I agree, Lee is dynamic when healthy. Him (or Beckham or Cooks) plus an extra second rounder would be great IMHO.

Robert Woods is a very, very good player, but he was almost an afterthought when playing on the same team and field as Lee in 2012, despite the numbers Woods also put up. I'm not sure what the deal was with Lee last year, outside of the fact the team was crappy and in upheaval for several games, and Lee had some injuries. But he was virtually unstoppable as a sophomore while lining up opposite of Woods. And he somewhat outplayed Woods when they went to the same high school, too. Woods was a year ahead, but as a senior, Lee had about 25 TDs or something ridiculous like that.

He's not a big WR though, which is what we need. Watkins plays a lot bigger than Lee does.

Between Stevie, and MWilliams, and Woods, Lee isn't the kind of player we need. His talent is off the charts though when he is healthy.

I disagree with the idea that he isn't the type of player the Bills need. He is very good - hence fills a need. I don't care if he isn't 6''5" as long as he gets open often and catches well.

I agree, Lee is dynamic when healthy. Him (or Beckham or Cooks) plus an extra second rounder would be great IMHO.

I disagree with the idea that he isn't the type of player the Bills need. He is very good - hence fills a need. I don't care if he isn't 6''5" as long as he gets open often and catches well.

The Bills have three guys already that do that.

The Bills have three guys already that do that.

Who?

I like Robert Woods a lot, but Lee was the alpha player at USC when they were both there.

I think SJ13 is good, but not at Lee's level if Lee is healthy.

Williams is a bigger WR - maybe not Mike Evans big, but big none-the-less.

I like Marqise Goodwin very much, but at his size he is best as a 3rd/4th receiver that is the deep threat.

I would be VERY leery of becoming fixated on getting a big WR like Evans/benjamin

Go Bills.

No. Lee is good, but he's not in Watkins class. If the Bills traded down and had to get a WR Odell Beckham, Jr. should be the pick at that point. Lee is very similar to Robert Woods. That's not a bad thing. But Watkins is blatantly a better talent. And Beckham is more consistently explosive even when Lee is healthy.

That's scary that some of those teams at the end if the first round (you know, teams that are already good with winning records) are going to get someone like Lee or Beckham and then stupid us will trade away our whole draft to move up and get Watkins who I don't feel is any better than either if those 2 guys.

As others have mentioned, Lee was possibly the best WR in college 2 years ago and was the go to guy even with Robert Woods on the field. There are so many talented receivers in this draft that it absolutely boggles my mind why we would try and trade up to get one

That's scary that some of those teams at the end if the first round (you know, teams that are already good with winning records) are going to get someone like Lee or Beckham and then stupid us will trade away our whole draft to move up and get Watkins who I don't feel is any better than either if those 2 guys.

As others have mentioned, Lee was possibly the best WR in college 2 years ago and was the go to guy even with Robert Woods on the field. There are so many talented receivers in this draft that it absolutely boggles my mind why we would try and trade up to get one

Because overall, teams win with a couple star players, a lot of very good players and a bunch of good role players and cogs. It doesn't really matter which positions your 2-3 stars play, but you need a few stars. One star player is far better than two very good players. Watkins, to most people, has all the makings of a star. Lee and Benjamin and others have very high ceilings, but every year there are 30 players with very high ceilings compared to 4-5 stars.

If I had to bet real money which players would be stars in the NFL in this draft, it would probably be only Clowney and Watkins. Of course, that is all conjecture.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Because overall, teams win with a couple star players, a lot of very good players and a bunch of good role players and cogs. It doesn't really matter which positions your 2-3 stars play, but you need a few stars. One star player is far better than two very good players. Watkins, to most people, has all the makings of a star. Lee and Benjamin and others have very high ceilings, but every year there are 30 players with very high ceilings compared to 4-5 stars.

If I had to bet real money which players would be stars in the NFL in this draft, it would probably be only Clowney and Watkins. Of course, that is all conjecture.

I wish I felt that strongly about Watkins being a sure thing star in the league. His small size and the fact that 75% of his catches are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage (I think they said 57% were screens!) worries me. If he was a physical freak like Megatron then I would feel more confident. I would hate to trade the entire draft away only to get a so-so player that might not even start for us (Stevie, Williams, Woods, Goodwin, Graham). They would really need to feel like he is so far above and beyond anyone else we have for them to make that move

I wish I felt that strongly about Watkins being a sure thing star in the league. His small size and the fact that 75% of his catches are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage (I think they said 57% were screens!) worries me. If he was a physical freak like Megatron then I would feel more confident. I would hate to trade the entire draft away only to get a so-so player that might not even start for us (Stevie, Williams, Woods, Goodwin, Graham). They would really need to feel like he is so far above and beyond anyone else we have for them to make that move

Realistically though the fact that he caught so many balls close to the line of scrimmage should not be an indictment of him. It's an indictment of the Clemson offense and of Tajh Boyd. They had to run an offense that Boyd could handle and he is a...mediocre? QB. This just so happened to also play to the strength of Sammy Watkins who has electric yard after catch ability.

Edited by JM57